Overscan question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
I have Toshiba 51H83 RP TV for few years now and I've always thought that it had too much overscan on all sides on HD picture. Now when I have 622 DVR and I was able to record and use the overscan test pattern from HDNet, I have "proof" that I was right. According to the pattern, the acceptable overscan levels are 4 on left and right and 3 on top and bottom. On my TV it shows 14 on left, 12 on right, 6 on top and 5 on bottom. I know how to access service menu but there is nothing that I know of to correct the problem.

The question is:

Since the TV is still covered with an extended warranty plan from Bestbuy, do I have a reasonable case to call them about the problem? Will they take care of it for free if I call?

Sure there is
HIT-height
WID-width
HPOS-Horizontal postioning
VPOS- vertical postioning
and possibly a couple others will adjust all sides of the screen and center to achive proper overscan
See if you can locate a service manual. I have on for the 50H81 but not a 83 series.

Kevinw said:
Sure there is
HIT-height
WID-width
HPOS-Horizontal postioning
VPOS- vertical postioning
and possibly a couple others will adjust all sides of the screen and center to achive proper overscan
See if you can locate a service manual. I have on for the 50H81 but not a 83 series.

I should mention that I already tried HIT and WID and there is still too much overscan on all sides. HIT and WID are usless in my case.

Keep in mind that those numbers on HDNet patterns do not represent actual overscan percentages!
For example, 12 on the right or on the left corresponds to 5% overscan, which is not so unusual.
5 at the top or at the bottom corresponds to 4% oversacan.
See explanations here: http://www.smartcalibration.com/hdnetoverscan.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts