Owning your Dish equipment vs leasing

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
Currently, I lease Hopper 3 and 3 Joey 2s. $10 for Hopper and $7 for each Joey a month. I believe that u still pay lower fee even if u own them. What r the advantages if u decide to buy them? Does only Dish sell brand new equipment? Is it easy to just swap them with leased eqipment and call Dish for authorization, or do you need to call to ask for approval? Is Amazon the best place to purchase them?

Reactions: LQQK
Currently, I lease Hopper 3 and 3 Joey 2s. $10 for Hopper and $7 for each Joey a month. I believe that u still pay lower fee even if u own them. What r the advantages if u decide to buy them? Does only Dish sell brand new equipment? Is it easy to just swap them with leased eqipment and call Dish for authorization, or do you need to call to ask for approval? Is Amazon the best place to purchase them?
My apology. I did not notice Ilokey started a new thread regarding buying the equipment.

My apology. I did not notice Ilokey started a new thread regarding buying the equipment.
No problem, since that thread is about one member here wanting advice about a specific upgrade from a 722K to a Hopper With Sling. This thread is a good place for more general questions, so thanks for posting.

Starting one month from now, the Hopper fee would be $5 for a purchased Hopper 3, and each purchased Joey would also be $5.

The main advantage would be the new lower equipment fees. The ability to deactivate and reactivate the receivers whenever you want, without having to return them to Dish, is also a very nice bonus. And of course, when you are done using the purchased receivers, you can resell them to get some of your money back.

Plenty of other places sell Dish equipment. Solid Signal seems to have a good price on an upside-down Hopper 3. ;)

Just hook up the purchased receiver, and call Dish to activate it. Then, they can deactivate your leased equipment, and send you a box with a return shipping label. There is no need to get prior approval. However, if you are purchasing a used receiver, it is a good idea to get the Receiver number and Smart Card number for that receiver, and check with Dish before buying it. That way, you can make sure that it actually is a purchased receiver, and that there is no past due balance on its previous account. Leased receivers cannot be transferred to another account, they must be returned to Dish. If there is a past-due balance on a purchased receiver, that balance would need to be paid off before the receiver can be activated on another account.

I do not make any recommendations on where the best place is to purchase a receiver, so it is best to shop around for the lowest price.

No problem, since that thread is about one member here wanting advice about a specific upgrade from a 722K to a Hopper With Sling. This thread is a good place for more general questions, so thanks for posting.

Starting one month from now, the Hopper fee would be $5 for a purchased Hopper 3, and each purchased Joey would also be $5.

The main advantage would be the new lower equipment fees. The ability to deactivate and reactivate the receivers whenever you want, without having to return them to Dish, is also a very nice bonus. And of course, when you are done using the purchased receivers, you can resell them to get some of your money back.

Plenty of other places sell Dish equipment. Solid Signal seems to have a good price on an upside-down Hopper 3. ;)

Just hook up the purchased receiver, and call Dish to activate it. Then, they can deactivate your leased equipment, and send you a box with a return shipping label. There is no need to get prior approval. However, if you are purchasing a used receiver, it is a good idea to get the Receiver number and Smart Card number for that receiver, and check with Dish before buying it. That way, you can make sure that it actually is a purchased receiver, and that there is no past due balance on its previous account. Leased receivers cannot be transferred to another account, they must be returned to Dish. If there is a past-due balance on a purchased receiver, that balance would need to be paid off before the receiver can be activated on another account.

I do not make any recommendations on where the best place is to purchase a receiver, so it is best to shop around for the lowest price.
Thanks for taking your time Crodrules. I appreciate it.
If purchased new Hopper or Joey is having issues, and you need a technician visit, Does Dish take care of that? You just pay for the visit. If not mistaken, about $90 at the moment.

Reactions: pattykay
Thanks for taking your time Crodrules. I appreciate it.
If purchased new Hopper or Joey is having issues, and you need a technician visit, Does Dish take care of that? You just pay for the visit. If not mistaken, about $90 at the moment.
Yes, that is correct. If you call the Loyalty Department, you may be able to negotiate for a lower-priced technician visit, or even a free visit.

Solid Signal has the Hopper 3 and Joey 3 for about $300.00 for both. It's going to take quite awhile to take advantage of owned equipment discount.

Solid Signal has the Hopper 3 and Joey 3 for about $300.00 for both. It's going to take quite awhile to take advantage of owned equipment discount.
Yup; that is why I was wondering if Dish would instigate a lease-to-own program so that we don't actually have to change out the hardware to get the benefit of lower fees.

Reactions: sktrus
Yup; that is why I was wondering if Dish would instigate a lease-to-own program so that we don't actually have to change out the hardware to get the benefit of lower fees.
If I recall correctly, Dish also offers lower equipment fees to customers who sign up for the Preferred Customer Offer, and make a two-year commitment. Purchasing the equipment is a way to get the new lower fees without it being a limited-time promo offer, and without making a commitment.

Yeah, I am looking at the numbers and savings. If Dish had no fees on purchased stuff but a marginal fee on guide, the savings would be cool. Another question is how long they will be useful before they r obsolete. It is not easy to decide one way or another.

I've always scratched my head at people who would purchase ever since the original "Digital Dynamite" promo began (since the price was exactly the same and 'lease' meant it was Dish's and they had to supply you if something went wrong)

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time owning equipment affects the bottom line.

I've always scratched my head at people who would purchase ever since the original "Digital Dynamite" promo began (since the price was exactly the same and 'lease' meant it was Dish's and they had to supply you if something went wrong)

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time owning equipment affects the bottom line.
I can tell you why purchasing worked better for me than leasing. For the first several years that we were using Dish in our RV we were only using it seasonally, and purchasing with a pay-as-you-go account gave us the option of turning off the service at will by simply not paying the next bill. Since going to full time RV life there was no reason to change anything and the now Outdoor Account lets us change locals with just a few taps on a smart phone app. And coming soon will be the price reduction of course, that will pay us back for all of our equipment purchases in about two years.

If I recall correctly, Dish also offers lower equipment fees to customers who sign up for the Preferred Customer Offer, and make a two-year commitment. Purchasing the equipment is a way to get the new lower fees without it being a limited-time promo offer, and without making a commitment.
I'm into a two year contract. My H3 lease fee is $10.00 a month. I tried but Dish would not discount the Joey fee.

pay-as-you-go account
NyDutch; I have a question. Do the packages cost the same with this type of account? Can you activate/deactivate whenever u want with no limitations? U would think Dish would loose tremendous amount of money if there is no steady monthly payments from us.

I had a disappointing chat with Solid Signal after asking whether the Hopper 3s that they sell are new, used, or refurbished. The answer was
"these come pre packaged from DISH so we do not know. My guess is that they could be refurbished"

Anyone ever buy one from these guys and/or know whether they're selling new or used?

I'm into a two year contract. My H3 lease fee is $10.00 a month. I tried but Dish would not discount the Joey fee.
Okay, it must just be new customers in the first two years with Dish that get the $5 Joey fee. I knew there was some way to get the reduced Joey fee, other than the newly-announced upcoming discount for purchased Joeys.

NyDutch; I have a question. Do the packages cost the same with this type of account? Can you activate/deactivate whenever u want with no limitations? U would think Dish would loose tremendous amount of money if there is no steady monthly payments from us.
I'll take a crack at answering this. (I also have an Outdoor account.) The regular package prices are the same. You simply do not get the new customer promo discounts when you sign up for service. Individual Channel Packs, individual receivers, or even the entire service can be activated and deactivated at any time with no penalty. You just pay the pro-rated amount for the time that you actually use each service. Since there is no guarantee of steady income, that is likely why Dish requires that all of the equipment be purchased up-front, in order to open this type of account.

Reactions: NYDutch
"these come pre packaged from DISH so we do not know. My guess is that they could be refurbished"
That should be illegal. Shouldn't it? Amazon sells returned items as refurbished even if there is nothing wrong with them. There is always a chance a refurbished item could break compared to brand new. :shh

That should be illegal. Shouldn't it? Amazon sells returned items as refurbished even if there is nothing wrong with them. There is always a chance a refurbished item could break compared to brand new. :shh
There is always a chance that a brand-new item can break, which is how so many of them end up getting refurbished, even for a brand-new product that just came out on the market.

There is always a chance that a brand-new item can break, which is how so many of them end up getting refurbished, even for a brand-new product that just came out on the market.
Crodrules; correct me if I am wrong. Don't the companies give you more time to return new items in case something is wrong or u r not satisfied? With refurbished products, paying less is the priority. One time I asked a company rep on the phone whether or not the refurbished item I was interested in was a return or repaired product. she claimed she didn't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts