Ozzie Guillen Big Mouth....

charper1 said:
I had been looking since he said what he thought it meant: so far onl this: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fag

Even in US English #4 - (US slang, offensive) A jerk, an a$$hole. "Why did you do that, you fag?"

Interesting.

So this is a word that is NOT used in his language ?

From what I have seen with the dictionary you supplied,
It doesn't suprize me, as I mentioned, he knew fulwell what he was saying....

Yes he should have been suspended, but MLB does not have a commissioiner. they have an owner.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:

Oh sorry, I still do not know; I couldn't find anything. BUT find it interesting that even in the US English that is is recognised as slang for being an a$$hole as opposed to a derogatory homosexual term. I still say he meant it that way too.

charper1 said:
Oh sorry, I still do not know; I couldn't find anything. BUT find it interesting that even in the US English that is is recognised as slang for being an a$$hole as opposed to a derogatory homosexual term. I still say he meant it that way too.

What leads you to think that he DIDN't mean it as in #3 ?

Jimbo

Jimbos said:

From what I have seen with the dictionary you supplied,
It doesn't suprize me, as I mentioned, he knew fulwell what he was saying....

Yes he should have been suspended, but MLB does not have a commissioiner. they have an owner.

Jimbo
They do have equivalent words in Spanish (e.g. maricon, culero); however, Ozzie wasn't speaking Spanish when he said it. I know it's also used colloquially to call someone a wimp or effeminate without any regard to his sexuality. But only Ozzie knows what he meant for sure.

Jimbos said:
What leads you to think that he DIDN't mean it as in #3 ?

Jimbo

I am saying I found #4 interesting considering they list it as a US slang for a$$hole as I have never know it to mean anything but #3 in the US, even thought I think he truly meant #3 no matter what he says.

You guys spend any time around mexicans and you realize that they swear just as much, if not more, than americans do. Same with brazilians, so based on that I don't know how a guy from venezuela would be much different.

They call each other fags all the time much like we do when we're poking at our buddies. Only difference is that south americans (and mexicans) are kind of known to experiment quite a bit in regards to same sex interaction. Some say it's due to the heavy policing/imprisoning, I think it's because so many of the woman are absolutely disgusting.

He knew what he said and it's not a big deal to him. It's not a big deal to me either but he works for a worldwide company that has to cater to everyone in the world, they can't be using slurs like that.

BTW, MOST sportswriters are considered controversial anymore because they all want to make a name for themselves and they all have some extra balls to call someone out nowadays. I went to High School with a Yahoo Baseball sportswriter who's considered controversial, and it's not an act but he's not a bad guy. Just a little nutty. Actually wrote a piece in the school paper about how female athletes shouldn't be allowed to play. Heavy female athlete populous in the school, you can imagine the reaction he got...I think a couple of those swim-team giants could have taken him out...

Last edited:
Purogamer said:
Only difference is that south americans (and mexicans) are kind of known to experiment quite a bit in regards to same sex interaction. Some say it's due to the heavy policing/imprisoning, I think it's because so many of the woman are absolutely disgusting.

OK, I think you've crossed the line here. Do you have any facts that actually support such a wild statement? And some of the most beautiful women in the world are hispanics from Mexico, Central America, and South America. Believe me, as a guy who's travelled all over the world, you can find just as many disgusting-looking women right here in the good old USA.

I think Ken Williams -- General Manager of WS -- said it best on ESPN. I am only paraphrasing after listening his quote on ESPN. He basically said that enough is enough and Ozzie should stop otherwise he will be out of the door.

Think about it... is this the type of person that you want to represent your organization at the expense of winning. Kenny Willaims do not think so and he made it clear that Ozzie has done this too many times now and next time he may be called to a meeting and the White Sox may have a new manager.

I am not from Venezuela and do not know how Ozzie uses the word "Maricon" (Fag) on Venezuela. Even though within latin american there are different meanings for the same word, the word "Maricon" keeps its deamining meaning whether is in Mexico, Venezuela, Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic. If the word is used within a circle of friends, the word has no meaning as it meant as a joke to imply "softness" about being a man. If it's said to a stranger or in a dispute or out of anger the word has the strongest meaning the receiver can give and it will offend the other person to the fullest whether it is meant or not.

But let's look at Ozzie. He apologizes and takes the word "F.." back but uses another word "sh*t" to describe the person. There are so many ways to say the same thing and be diplomatic at the same time. To me if you cannot speak proper or polite English, you cannot speak proper or polite Spanish. This is a huge problem with Hispanic players. Most of them come from third world country in which they could not get a proper education and sometimes, unfortunately, it shows where you come from. I am not saying that this applies to everyone because there are spanish players that are well spoken. I do not think we need to condem the entire latin american community for the behavior of one person.

brainiac said:
OK, I think you've crossed the line here. Do you have any facts that actually support such a wild statement? And some of the most beautiful women in the world are hispanics from Mexico, Central America, and South America. Believe me, as a guy who's travelled all over the world, you can find just as many disgusting-looking women right here in the good old USA.

I agree! That statement is way out of bounds in reality.

Purogamer said:
Do either of you spend ANY time around mexicans? I do...
As a matter of fact, I lived in San Antonio for 3 years and in Los Angeles for 4 years. Both cities are overflowing with beautiful latinas. You're the one who obviously doesn't get around. And with a statement like the one above, you're criticizing Guillen??? The hypocrisy is mind-boggling!

Last edited:
There is no correlation at all, you're grasping at straws. I talk to mexicans daily, I know more about mexicans and their culture than I could ever want to know...

Why do you keep bringing up how hot latinas can be? That's the biggest "duh" post i've seen in a while. Sure there are some smoking hot women, but much like the U.S. they are shadowed by the really gross women that are everywhere.

Ozzie called Mariotti a fag because he disagreed with a statement that Jay made. That's a total over-reaction and Jay has every right in the world to criticize anyone. It's his job to do so. Ozzie's job is to manage a baseball team. One of these guys seems to have lost focus on his job, and he's just digging himself in deeper. The GM flat out said it the other day, if he doesn't knock it off, he'll be replaced. It wasn't OK when John Rocker was running around spewing hate in a very diversive city like Atlanta, and it's not OK for Ozzie to do it in Chicago.

Last edited:
Purogamer said:
There is no correlation at all, you're grasping at straws. I talk to mexicans daily, I know more about mexicans and their culture than I could ever want to know...

Why do you keep bringing up how hot latinas can be? That's the biggest "duh" post i've seen in a while. Sure there are some smoking hot women, but much like the U.S. they are shadowed by the really gross women that are everywhere.

Ozzie called Mariotti a fag because he disagreed with a statement that Jay made. That's a total over-reaction and Jay has every right in the world to criticize anyone. It's his job to do so. Ozzie's job is to manage a baseball team. One of these guys seems to have lost focus on his job, and he's just digging himself in deeper. The GM flat out said it the other day, if he doesn't knock it off, he'll be replaced. It wasn't OK when John Rocker was running around spewing hate in a very diversive city like Atlanta, and it's not OK for Ozzie to do it in Chicago.
You're full of crap. First of all, who in the hell said that it was okay for Guillen to call Mariotti what he called him? Don't try to confuse the issue here. You made a statement about how disgusting Mexican women are, and when someone called you out for it, you say it has no relevance in a thread discussing someone making a derogatory statement about another group. How naive do you think we are? If it's so obvious to you, why did you make such a dumbassed statement to begin with? Who cares if you talk to Mexicans daily, it was still a stupid statement to make. You lambast Ozzie for making a hateful statement, then you go right ahead and make a hateful statement about Mexicans and their "disgusting" women.

Purogamer said:
Only difference is that south americans (and mexicans) are kind of known to experiment quite a bit in regards to same sex interaction. Some say it's due to the heavy policing/imprisoning, I think it's because so many of the woman are absolutely disgusting.

You say something like that, and you don't see the correlation and hypocrisy? Unfrickin' believable!

Last edited:
Purogamer said:
Do either of you spend ANY time around mexicans? I do...

I live in PHOENIX, AZ - SO YES, daily, nearly all day, every day, all year and in all facets of life! Next stupid question.

There are both "hot", "average" and "ugly" people of all races, if you are into judging people like that; I'm not and don't really care to AND it has nothing to do with the discussion.

Last edited:
Purogamer said:

WOW!! I am assuming, I am trying to say this with some tact and respect....by the statement like the one above, you must know something no one else knows. And who are these "some say"? I love the ole 'some say' or 'they say'....

salsadancer7 said:
WOW!! I am assuming, I am trying to say this with some tact and respect....by the statement like the one above, you must know something no one else knows. And who are these "some say"? I love the ole 'some say' or 'they say'....

Very well said!! I myself will not say anything on this subject for obvious reason's. I just can't believe in this day and time this kind of thing is still around?:confused:

THE MEXICANS TELL ME THESE THINGS. I don't even know what the hell this discussion has morphed into. The MEXICANS tell me a lot of their women are disgusting and are the reason they cheat and experiment so much. It's the exact same thing here in america. If your wife/girlfriend isn't doing it for you, you're probably going to wander off and fine some strange on the side.

If you like ozzie fine, but how you're twisting the things I say as a diversion is absurd. Ozzie called a guy a fag because he doesn't like him, and he did it in public like an idiot. Most pro's ignore sports reporters, where ozzie can't stop talking about this guy. Maybe he's got a man-crush on him. That is supposed to be the issue here, ozzie & Jay, not whatever you guys are rambling about.

Purogamer said:
THE MEXICANS TELL ME THESE THINGS. I don't even know what the hell this discussion has morphed into. The MEXICANS tell me a lot of their women are disgusting and are the reason they cheat and experiment so much. It's the exact same thing here in america. If your wife/girlfriend isn't doing it for you, you're probably going to wander off and fine some strange on the side.

If you like ozzie fine, but how you're twisting the things I say as a diversion is absurd. Ozzie called a guy a fag because he doesn't like him, and he did it in public like an idiot. Most pro's ignore sports reporters, where ozzie can't stop talking about this guy. Maybe he's got a man-crush on him. That is supposed to be the issue here, ozzie & Jay, not whatever you guys are rambling about.
Nobody twisted a damn thing you said - you were directly quoted. The point was that you were excoriating Guillen for making an ignorant statement, yet you did the same thing. You say that I was diverting the thread, but what the hell did what you said have to do with the issue at hand? Now you're saying that what you said was based on your interaction with the limited amount of Mexicans you know. Hell, Guillen is not even Mexican. My point was that you were basically being a hypocrite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)