P268 is here!

Re: P268... It's still 2003 in Englewood, CO. Maybe next year ;)

I received a call yesterday also from a rep after emailing the ceo about my disgust with the 811. He didn't suggest to me that there would be a fix anytime "soon" but that they are aware of the problem and are trying to fix it and hope to correct it over the coming monthS. I don't hold much hope out for 269. He suggested that the chipset was incorrectly programmed with inaccurate color balances by the manufacturer and that it's been very challenging to attempt the software correction. for what it's worth.... yada yada....

I'm only hang'n in with the 811 because I don't have the finances to choose something else at this time. I like Dish so I'll give them another 2 months before I pull the plug on the 811.

I have to give them a little credit for always responding to my emails to the ceo. That much they can do. Now let's get this fixed!

Dish just keeps on dangling that old carrot......... Just a few month more and few more software updates.

I think this is like that guy told you a chipset that was incorrectly programmed with color balances by the manufacturer. Doesn't Dish make their own receivers? I suspected all along that this is something that can not be fixed by software update. They need to recall these boxes and do a new chipset then to fix these " color balances". They did hardware fixes on the 921 so why not the 811?

I know it will cost money to fix but the bad experience by Dish customers with this receiver are not gaining them any new customers. Bad word of mouth by disgruntled customers will not help them. Bite the bullet and recall and fix these receivers.

I am glad I got rid of mine after 3 weeks. I couldn't stand the poor picture quality on standard def channels and the hd channels had the crushing blacks problems. I even got the crushing blacks on the standard def channels toward the end .

MikeD-C05 said:
I know it will cost money to fix but the bad experience by Dish customers with this receiver are not gaining them any new customers. Bad word of mouth by disgruntled customers will not help them. Bite the bullet and recall and fix these receivers.

While there are some folks that are leaving E* because of the 811 (at least you and I did) there are many more that are signing up with E* because they're giving these away. I wonder how many would go with D* if they had the same free hardware? I think it was Nuetron that left D* for Voom just because he wouldn't pay the $300 for a D* HD box.

MikeD-C05 said:
I think this is like that guy told you a chipset that was incorrectly programmed with color balances by the manufacturer. Doesn't Dish make their own receivers?

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll throw it in here too. I was at Sears this past weekend and noticed a Dish display that had an 811 w/ a "JVC" logo on the front of the receiver, rather than the usual Dish logo. Other than that, the case was identical. Did JVC manufacture all these things, or is this box any different?

The only difference between a box that has JVC (or RCA) on it to one with the DISH logo is that it says JVC (or RCA) they are ALL made by DISH.

n0qcu said:
The only difference between a box that has JVC (or RCA) on it to one with the DISH logo is that it says JVC (or RCA) they are ALL made by DISH.
Aren't they all made by JVC? I didn't know E* has their own manufacturing division.

Echostar owns a company, Can't recall the name, I believe in Atlanta that makes their equipment. Then they put JVC or RCA or Phillips names on them.

Spankle said:
He suggested that the chipset was incorrectly programmed with inaccurate color balances by the manufacturer and that it's been very challenging to attempt the software correction.

For what it's worth, that explanation DOES tie in with what I've thought for a long time... the "crushed blacks" problem would be indicative of a wrong color balance curve.

Remember that these things are highly programmable.... check out the details on the Broadcom chipset if you don't believe me....

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/7020-PB08-403-R.pdf

Also, if Broadcom had a few mask revisions on the part, it would be a tough job to cover all the revisions in one go...

I too understand the frustration we all suffer (it should be right first time!), but also understand that with the complexity of receivers these days, it doesn't always get to that point....

Still... someone should be standing up and accepting responsibility, and it would be "nice" if someone @ Echostar actually made a formal apology or announcement that things are being worked on, rather than the heresay and rumor we all hear daily.

I would think that in light of the class action settlement on the Dishplayer, "E" would be getting a little worried about these 811 problems.

WaltinVt:smug

Quadtone4 said:
I had the 811 installed 7/6/04 and it reports the 268 LAJD-N firmware.
I have only had it two days but I have noticed a lot of programing seems dark, especially HBO HD.
Samsung HLP 50 component and DVI connects.
It might be my imagination but I would swear component is brighter(better in dark scenes) than DVI and overall better PQ.
Steve M.

Steve, does it have the DishPro Logo on it?

waltinvt\ said:
I would think that in light of the class action settlement on the Dishplayer, "E" would be getting a little worried about these 811 problems.

WaltinVt:smug
And how about the 921 - especially the DishWire fiasco. That one could sure come back and bite E* BIG-TIME! ;)

I got this receiver in June and it had P267.

As of July 10, my 811 shows it has Software: P268LAFD-N but I don't see any obvious changes. What are the significance of the following numbers:

SOFTWARE: P268LAFD-N
BOOTSTRAP: 1012LAFD
PROC ID: P0019418799-20

My brother-in-law's 811 is different

SOFTWARE: P268LADD-N
BOOTSTRAP: 1010LADD
PROC ID: P0018043952-56

ALAN

I'll add another 811 number.

W4WMM said:
I got this receiver in June and it had P267.

As of July 10, my 811 shows it has Software: P268LAFD-N but I don't see any obvious changes. What are the significance of the following numbers:

SOFTWARE: P268LAFD-N
BOOTSTRAP: 1012LAFD
PROC ID: P0019418799-20

My brother-in-law's 811 is different

SOFTWARE: P268LADD-N
BOOTSTRAP: 1010LADD
PROC ID: P0018043952-56

ALAN
From all of the SW versions I have seen here, nobody, I think has had the version I have:

SOFTWARE: P268LAMD-N
BOOTSTRAP: 102 LAMD

I got the 811 installed on June 29, 2004 and had the 267 software installed. The installer, a contracted E* installer out of Newport, MN, said that the unit was just recieved from Dish and that it was a new unit.
Any comment on this number?

Parlyle said:
From all of the SW versions I have seen here, nobody, I think has had the version I have:

SOFTWARE: P268LAMD-N
BOOTSTRAP: 102 LAMD

Any comment on this number?
I, for one, would be very interested in hearing your impressions of your new 811.
If you have read the threads, perhaps you can include comments about whether some of the many problems have been solved.

I've noticed two changes with my 811....

1. before 267 my dolby and pcm option worked fine, got 267 and only the pcm option worked for any channles (i'd get no sound on my hd channels and OTA channels). Now that I have 268 my dolby and pcm option is working fine. Hmmmmm, guess 267 did something after all....

2. with 267 I was able to view the guide when on an OTA, now that I have 268 I can't do this anymore...

I guess we take the good, we take the bad, when we take them both that's when we have the facts of dish....

I've had my 811 since March, and it's hardware revision LADD.My question
is do any of the newer hardware revisions I'm seeing in this thread work any
better or have a better picture than ours with the older revisions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)