P283 Where are you?

dimi1963

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Union, NJ
I thougth that the spooling was supposed to start this week, what happened?
Will this release fix the 49% bug for OTA channels? :confused:

like MC Hammer says "You can't touch this"

You don't want it yet, it's still being worked on...

I never allowed the 282 download. Did it go to everyone? Should I turn on automatic (without my permission) dowload, or should I wait to see if it's a "good" revision? Do I need 282 before I get 283? Any advice will be appreciated.
Tom in TX

my 811 is in the mail as week speak, should I disable the automatic download feature before connecting my sat?

You have to take the initial download for the 811 to work. After you take that download, disable the automatic downloads.

Looks like the 811 doesn't pull in channel that are on or about the 60% signal strength, and when tries to lock them it can't because the tuner reads them as 49%. This is only for OTA channels. It happens to me only with two channels NBD (4.1 and 4.2 UHF 28; WB 11.1 VHF 12), I am in the NYC area.
On this same topic does anybody know if the new software release will addres this issue?

dimi1963 said:
Looks like the 811 doesn't pull in channel that are on or about the 60% signal strength, and when tries to lock them it can't because the tuner reads them as 49%. This is only for OTA channels. It happens to me only with two channels NBD (4.1 and 4.2 UHF 28; WB 11.1 VHF 12), I am in the NYC area.
On this same topic does anybody know if the new software release will addres this issue?

I Sure hope so. I'm not looking for a new release with new buggy features. Dish needs to first fix what's broken. The 49% issue appears to be linked to the infamous BSOD. If it's not addressed, I'll be tossing in the towel. My 811 crashes daily whenever I change OTA channels and is very easy to duplicate on demand. So a fix should not be too hard to develop. One cannot help wonder how this left the factory this way. Would you keep a car that dies at every 5th traffic light?

Moman19 said:
I Sure hope so. I'm not looking for a new release with new buggy features. Dish needs to first fix what's broken. The 49% issue appears to be linked to the infamous BSOD. If it's not addressed, I'll be tossing in the towel. My 811 crashes daily whenever I change OTA channels and is very easy to duplicate on demand. So a fix should not be too hard to develop. One cannot help wonder how this left the factory this way. Would you keep a car that dies at every 5th traffic light?

Just for the record Moman. This crashing while switching OTA is not affecting everyone. I have not seen it on my 811 running 282. In fact it is running rock solid (Knocking on wood). As to a fix, well that is what 2.83 is suppose to address I believe. Based on the fact this issue does not effect all installations, I personally can see how it got out but that is me. I personally have tried to duplicate this problem with my configuration and cannot. I am not saying it is not an issue. It obviously is and along with it a high level of customer pain. However, not everyone is seeing it and no I don't have a magic box. ;)

As for the BSOD associated with the 49% issue. I am not sure if they are related. I have not had any 49% issues for a long, long, time. From what I can tell , most of the 49% issues have been resolved on earlier updates. 2.82 is very much improved in this area. Some of the 49% issues were a result of some multipathing issues and might be corrected externally. I am not aware of any additional 49% fixes going into 2.83 from what I have read.

A couple of the earlier updates adjusted the ATSC tuner function in the 811. It is now probably as good as it gets. It may not be as sensitive (where signal strength is an issue) or interpretive (where multi-casting is an issue) as some ATSC tuners, but better than others.

If you are still plagued by 49% signal readings, you either have a weak souce signal or a multi-path problem. You can help both by optimizing your OTA system (i.e., antenna(s), pre-amp, cable, pointing azimuth), but with the former you may just have to wait until the station goes full-power (as in my case for 1 of the 7 DTV channels broadcast in my area).

Personally I've spent dozens of hours messing with 5 different antennas, 3 pre-amps, a new cable run attenuators, and pointing azimuths. I solved my 2 multi-path problems, but my local ABC station is so low power (1,910 watts) with such a short antenna total height that it can't be locked in my area even though I'm less than 10 miles from the station. Nothing that can be done to the 811's software can fix that.

WeeJavaDude said:
Just for the record Moman. This crashing while switching OTA is not affecting everyone. I have not seen it on my 811 running 282.

It seems to be affecting damn near 80%. Whatever the percent, it should not have been released unstable. Paying customers deserve a stable product and can put up with an occasional bug but this is ridiculous. :mad:

It only affected me once. After that my 811 has been wonderful. In fact this is probably the happiest I've been with it.

Pils said:
It seems to be affecting damn near 80%. Whatever the percent, it should not have been released unstable. Paying customers deserve a stable product and can put up with an occasional bug but this is ridiculous. :mad:
So where did you get your numbers from? 80% of posts???

Pils said:

And where do you get that number? If it was effecting 80% of 811 users, I would have expected an immediate rollback. I am not arguing the customer pain this bug effects if you run into, the point I was making is that not everyone is seeing it. I doubt it is damn near 80% . Polls on here are always skewed to the negative. People not having the problem are more likely not to vote and we are put a small percentage of the overall 811 base.

juan said:
So where did you get your numbers from? 80% of posts???

Obviously I don't have the percent, but being that these forums fill will 811 quircks, its substantial. Wouldn't you say? Waouldn't you say that it shouldn't be this high for a paying customer.

I am getting all the symptoms but the version on my 811 is still P281, I have never got the upgrade. So it has to be an hardware issue that perhaps can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. Is this software (P283) a firmware upgrade too?

If the BSOD issue isn't affecting everyone, then the variable must be identified before a fix can be made. I fear the engineers at Dish are either stumped or resigned to the fact that software cannot fix the issue. To blame this on multipath or low power transission is a cop out. Something is inconsistent here, but I believe the issue only affects the users who use the Digital OTA capability of the 811. This should rule out the dish itself, switches, cables, etc.

I live in a big metro area, close by to many DT stationstransmitting at full or near-full power. Typically in the 90 to 95% signal strength area (now don't tell me that I'm too close!). Interestingly, one channel in the 70% range almost never gives the BSOD. I have a good OTA, rooftop antenna setup where the analog stations come in great, so I doubt multipath is a major concern. In fact, ALL the digital stations come in great until the BSOD raises its ugly head when I surf. After much complaining, DISH swapped receivers fo me. But the issue remains.

Common sense dictates that the issue must be in the receiver.

I have P282 and was initially getting the BSOD frequently when I would try to change channels out of a digital OTA channel that was 70 miles away and would only come in every once in awhile. I decided to remove that channel since I really didn't watch it and encountered fewer BSODs. I now get the BSOD every once in awhile that seems to occur when I surf between digital OTA and analog OTA channels. Realize that in going to/from digital OTA to analog OTA you are using two different tuners. I am probably like a lot of folks who have the habit of just pushing the up and down channel buttons aka "channel surfing". I don't "channel surf" to/from the satellite channels so I don't get the BSOD with the satellite channels. I have tried to get away from "channel surfing" with the 811 and use the EPG more. I am fortunate to get digital OTA data in my EPG and this seems to have reduced my getting the BSOD. I am not saying that folks should have to change their channel surfing habits because the 811 and its software should work with it but reducing your channel surfing may lead to less frustration with the 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)