P283 Where are you?

MarkoC said:
I must be in the minority because It is not affecting me. I haven't had the BSOD in awhile either.

What do you do differently from the rest? Do you have local OTA DT stations? Can you surf all day without the BSOD? If your answer is YES to both questions, I'm jealous.

This is how software is released..
  • Spend long hours and weeks writing the software
  • Send it to the beta testers
  • repeat this 99 times
  • Release it to the public
  • Take vacation immediately because you don't want to hear bad things.

Moman19 said:
What do you do differently from the rest? Do you have local OTA DT stations? Can you surf all day without the BSOD? If your answer is YES to both questions, I'm jealous.

My answer is yes to both of these. I've never had BSOD with the new update. Really enjoying it :)

Bryan,

So what could be different about our two systems? That's the million dollar question and shouldn't be too difficult to determine. Maybe the engineers at Dish will read this ansd ask use for particulars. I'll gladly tell all.

As far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything out-of-the-ordinary to cause the daily BSODs. Just an 811 tied to an Dish 500 and OTA antenna with 90% signal strength.

Moman19 said:
Bryan,

So what could be different about our two systems? That's the million dollar question and shouldn't be too difficult to determine. Maybe the engineers at Dish will read this ansd ask use for particulars. I'll gladly tell all.

As far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything out-of-the-ordinary to cause the daily BSODs. Just an 811 tied to an Dish 500 and OTA antenna with 90% signal strength.

First off, this root cause could be anything and it may not be related to a difference in configuration. There is a Poll thread I started to capture peoples experience in hopes to try and narrow it down.

The root cause could be anything from how you go about using your remote to the information contained within specific OTA streams. It is a lot more difficult to figure your question than one may think. The issue could be a component within the 811. Perhaps a slight difference in a vendor chip.

I don't think anyone is doing anything out of the ordinary. I currently have my OTA for most channels around 60-70%. IT dropped when I added a second receiver to the OTA. I removed my Pre-amp and also remove attuentor. Funny thing is that my signal strength got stronger when I remove the pre-amp. This little excercise showed me how fragile OTA can be and how it is an art at times. ;) I degress...

Well last night I think I saw the channel change reboot for the first time. I am not sure if it is related to the drop in signal strength, but I did not get it to happen before this topology change.

I would suggest reading the poll thread on this issue and add your experiences there.

My gut feeling is that the issue is more related to the mix of OTA channels you have. Would be interesting data point to find two people in the same area and see if they are having similar experiences. At this point, the issue is anybodies guess but figuring out what use case differences we have between one and another is not a trivial task.

Are all your channels showing 90% with little fluctuation?

Here's some more to thinks about. One of my 811's lost its authorization for my subcription. I could only get OTA and channels 101 & 213. Had zero BSOD until after I called Dish and had it reactivated.

Barry Erick said:
This is how software is released..
  • Spend long hours and weeks writing the software
  • Send it to the beta testers
  • repeat this 99 times
  • Release it to the public
  • Take vacation immediately because you don't want to hear bad things.
Close - except your steps are out of order. Try this:
  1. Spend long hours and weeks writing the software
  2. Release it to the public
  3. Send it to the beta testers
  4. Take vacation immediately because you don't want to hear bad things.
  5. repeat this 99 times

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)