Pacers game on TNT and PQ

softwiz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 30, 2005
Not sure if it's cause of the new encoders or maybe this was the way TNT always was but you get a lot of splotching during heavy movement. Awesome picture though when it's mostly still. Probably the best picture I've ever seen.

It looks great to me if the action is not rapid. The transmission rate needs to be boosted. That's some of the problem of 1080i. ESPN, ABC, and others utilize 720p. When 1080p arrives that problem goes away

timfouts said:
It looks great to me if the action is not rapid. The transmission rate needs to be boosted. That's some of the problem of 1080i. ESPN, ABC, and others utilize 720p. When 1080p arrives that problem goes away

Yep you're right, it's the 1080i. But dang, that is an awesome picture!!!

softwiz said:
Not sure if it's cause of the new encoders or maybe this was the way TNT always was but you get a lot of splotching during heavy movement. Awesome picture though when it's mostly still. Probably the best picture I've ever seen.

What type of tv are you using? I know this more of an issue for people with LCD or DLP sets. Plasmas under heavy movement don't have splotching or pixelation issues.

mitpdub said:
What type of tv are you using? I know this more of an issue for people with LCD or DLP sets. Plasmas under heavy movement don't have splotching or pixelation issues.

Brand new 65" Mitsubishi Projection model 65615. I guess it's not really splotching as much as it blurs a little during heavy close up movement. This might just be an effect of HD. It's not very noticable.

I noticed it too. It looks good but you can really see it in the floor when the camera pans across court. The still shots look great though.

ABC family still is really bright and I am wondering when they are gonna fix the sound problem. Some channels like Sci-Fi, TBS etc have a lower volume and when you turn to another channel like ABC fam or ESPN News you get blown away.

When I selected my HD set I did alot of comparisons and decided that sports was my main motivator for HD. I spoke to some friends who are buyers for a electronics chain and the consensus was that DLP/LCD had longer longevity but was not as good for sports due to the slower response times. With LCD some fast moving images would 'trail' or pixelate. Plasma was better for sports, but could have burn in issues, so not good if you want to play video games on it. I never see trails on my Sony Plasma, but my friend who bought a Sony LCD Grand Wega projection set does get trailing on fast moton.

Here was a portion of a review I read on a LCD set and the information on refresh rates:

The second drawback of the unit is a motion trailer effect, which is prevalent in most LCD TVs. This is caused by a signal response time which XXXX claims is 15 milliseconds compared with a plasma display which has a signal response time of 7 milliseconds. On almost all LCD TVs fast motion scenes can display some trailer effect and that is true of this unit as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts