Packaging and Pricing for Star Choice

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Made up a little document of pricing/packages for Star Choice (English ones...I'll work on Bilingual at another time)

I did add some notes to some of the channels (especially if there is a comparable US channel)

edit 9/8/05-prices changed...updated those

edit 2/6/06-prices changed...updated those

Attachments

• StarChoice Packages.doc
    40 KB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:
Excellent work, thank you! :cool:

Q: All these channels available simultaneously?

HD1-Compilation Channel

HD2-Compilation Channel

HD3-Movie Central

HD4-FOX

HD5-Movie Network

HD6-NBC

HD7-ABC

HD8-CBS

HD9-PBS

Reason I'm asking this because I've read something about Movie Network vs Movie Central - can I receive both?

no you cant get both
Thezse are regional....Movie Central in the West and MOvie Network in the East

Iceberg said:
no you cant get both
Thezse are regional....Movie Central in the West and MOvie Network in the East

Is there way to find a particular broker who deals in west or east so you have a choice?

Also, I have a question of how to utilize a HDD-201 add on decoder with Star Choice system--through a broker--

I know that it will only work with the older Star Choice SD recivers 4XX series, so would have to find one used--but if broker's can't activate a used system, then, is the only alternative to get a whole new system from the broker?

How about used DSR500's too?

The DSR500 has the HD built in...no sidecar needed

As long as the equipment has no balance, it can be activated

Most of the brokers I know of are East coast area so it would be Movie Network

ICEBERG...can you easily explain the compilation HD channels? Also I don't see the Toronto HD Channel (city TV ) listed as HD. I believe the analog equivilant is channel 31 but I think they were the first OTA HD channel in Canada. They are not carried on the SAT in HD?

Thats pretty bad when you would have to order HD programming from Canada which has a lot less customers on their satellite service than the U.S. satellite companies do.

Seems to be a bit available with ala carte. Do they charge a fee if you do not order a basic package when ordering ala carte channels?

Stargazer said:
Seems to be a bit available with ala carte. Do they charge a fee if you do not order a basic package when ordering ala carte channels?

CRTC regulations require that a "Basic" package be purchased. Lowest price is $20 but no additional channels can be added it.

Essentials @$28.99 include HD network feeds - you can add whatever you want to it. HD movie channel is included with Movie package

In addition to the options in Iceberg's list there is another one called "Digital Favourites" @ $43.99. It includes the Essentials, most of the items in the Top 5 bundles + Fox News and the HD Nets.

RE: Compilation channels:

Many of Canada's cable head ends buy their HD programming from SC/Cancom. Most do not have 9 HD decoders or the bandwidth to deliver such. As a result, they have the movie channel for their area (283 or 285) plus ch 281, 282.

Anything can appear on 281 282.

All HD programs from Rogers Sportnets and City HD are available. They appear on 281, 282 or 289

Weekly Cancom HD schedule:
http://www.cancombroadcast.com/affiliates/services/HD_schedule_e.asp

Satellite Expert said:
CRTC regulations require that a "Basic" package be purchased. Lowest price is $20 but no additional channels can be added it.

Essentials @$28.99 include HD network feeds - you can add whatever you want to it. HD movie channel is included with Movie package

In addition to the options in Iceberg's list there is another one called "Digital Favourites" @ $43.99. It includes the Essentials, most of the items in the Top 5 bundles + Fox News and the HD Nets.
I put the Digital Favourites in the pricing...its the last one :)
RE: Compilation channels:

Many of Canada's cable head ends buy their HD programming from SC/Cancom. Most do not have 9 HD decoders or the bandwidth to deliver such. As a result, they have the movie channel for their area (283 or 285) plus ch 281, 282.

Anything can appear on 281 282.

All HD programs from Rogers Sportnets and City HD are available. They appear on 281, 282 or 289

Weekly Cancom HD schedule:
http://www.cancombroadcast.com/affiliates/services/HD_schedule_e.asp
thanks for the clarification! Without HD, it's hard for me to answer those questions :D

Ppv

Iceberg:
Since you have experience as an American in Canadian Sat world, what are the upsides and downsides?

Is SC pq that much better than D* or E's in this Voomless world? Is is a pain not being able to order PPV's? What do you do if there are technical problems?

As the day of darkness approaches 4/30 these questions grow in their importance. Sort of- I can live without TV-- I think.

Thanks.

I don't think it's a pain to not be able to order pay per view. I've never ordered any on Expressvu, even when up in Canada.
With Dish, I haven't either (even though I still have a coupon from the price increase). If you order them a lot now with V(D)oom, then you might miss it, otherwise you might not even notice.

For technical problems, you can always come here. Or contact your broker and have them report it to Star Choice.

I have read your .doc file which corresponds to Essentials https://secure.starchoice.com/english/store/popups/Essentials.htm and
All Packages: https://secure.starchoice.com/english/store/signup_pr.asp

However, I am bumfuzzled with what I am trying to do.

All I really care about at all is the Detroit HD stations and TMN HD and MC HD - possibly Seattle HD Networks and CityTV if it's in HD. Yet, I cannot figure out how to get both TMN-HD and MC-HD from the document or webpage.

I realize that above you stated you cannot get both, but I read another post in another forum saying that had changed....maybe it was wrong.

What is the cheapest way to get just the HD Programming that I am looking for?

You cannot have both TMN and MC. They have divided up Canada at the Ontario/Manitoba border.

You will get the Detroit and Seattle HD channels with any package Essentals and up

Well, in a word, that is unbelievable (not doubting your word....just amazed). I seriously doubt I will move forward with SC given this info. People wonder if SC would succeed and here they can't offer both of the prime reason I would want to subscribe. Ugh. Sounds ridiculous. Imagine if HBO/Showtime/Starz/TMC etc did that in the USA.

The reason of course is, that TMN and MC show the same stuff, whereas HBO has movies that Showtime doesn't, etc. So in a way, you are getting the best of Showtime, Starz, and HBO with one movie subscription. Granted it's only 5 channels instead of 30, but it's also significantly cheaper than getting all 3 of the US ones.

HDTV
Its not SC that made the decision...it was the CRTC

TMN & MC are owned by 2 separate companies and instead of going into someone else's territory they decided on the Man/Ont border

They show the same stuff

But again, I am speaking of getting both.....not 1 or the other. If others were like that it would increase BOTH of their subscriber base.

HDTVFanAtic said:
But again, I am speaking of getting both.....not 1 or the other. If others were like that it would increase BOTH of their subscriber base.

Obviously TMN and MC owners do not agree with you. They believe that "not competing" with each other is in their best business interests. One arguement, they use, is that it costs the customer less because the Hollywood studios can not play one off the other, like HBO vs Showtime vs Starz in order to get higher rates for their movies.

In the file it shows that Showcase Diva is an option mut I see no mention of showcase? (GOTTA have TPB!)

EDIT: It's in primetime, I'm a Drunk B@st@rd!

It looks like Starchoice is hiking up prices?

I noticed I had an extra $0.26 added on this bill for Sept 1 to the 4th, and the last page of my bill says "Effective September 1, 2005, the monthly rate for your services will be adjusted to $55.97 plus taxes."

Now, I have Bronze + Movies.. $28.99 + $19.99 = $48.98 I recently added another reciever, which is $4.99, however that is a seperate lineitem on the bill...

What would cause the price to jump up by $6.99?.. their website still shows Broze to be $28.99....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts