Packet8 VoIP Problems

Antipop

Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Hello,
I have Dish Network with a DVR501 receiver, I also have Packet8 VoIP service. Unfortunately I can’t get my receiver to dial out and connect. In the diagnostics it recognizes dial tone, but won’t connect. The caller-id function is working however. I am using a packet8 BG-510 phone adapter. Though it is behind a router, I did directly connect it to my cable modem as one of my troubleshooting steps, with no luck. So I don’t believe it’s the router.

Any help or other ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Antipop said:
Hello,
I have Dish Network with a DVR501 receiver, I also have Packet8 VoIP service. Unfortunately I can’t get my receiver to dial out and connect. In the diagnostics it recognizes dial tone, but won’t connect. The caller-id function is working however. I am using a packet8 BG-510 phone adapter. Though it is behind a router, I did directly connect it to my cable modem as one of my troubleshooting steps, with no luck. So I don’t believe it’s the router.

Any help or other ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Yep... Packet8 doesn't use the full bandwidth codec g711u like other VoIP vendors do. I remember some users putting a hacked firmware on their P8 adapters to unlock the outgoing g711u option.

digiblur said:
Yep... Packet8 doesn't use the full bandwidth codec g711u like other VoIP vendors do. I remember some users putting a hacked firmware on their P8 adapters to unlock the outgoing g711u option.

Any idea where to find that firmware?

Antipop said:
Any idea where to find that firmware?

I don't know... as I dropped Packet8 like a hot potato over 2-3 years ago. Try the DSLReports VoIP forum. If you change the firmware then you will no longer get support from P8.

You might be better off either switching VoIP carriers to a g711u one, or hooking up a second VoIP box to E* on FreeWorldDialup.

I also Have Packet 8 and they only support "Fax" transmissions for Virtual Office Customers. However I was told last week that it would be released for residential customers in the next two months. (I was told 1 1/2 years ago that it would be soon).

Hope this helps,
cegarrett

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)