Paint on the LNB ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jenom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2006
I have an LNB which has its front white protective plastic cap badly discolored.
Since the dish is mounted low, near the house, and a very visible location, this LNB is not a pretty sight.
Thinking of spraying this plastic cap with some white outdoor paint, maybe an acrylic-latex or an enamel to make it better looking.
Any advise whether this would reduce signal levels ?
Thanks!

Maybe try painting it with a light coating of water-soluble substance like whitewash, easy to remove -- then see if your SQ falls off or stays the same? If it does not degrade your picture, then try latex?

Thanks for all the advise, now I am considering a safer approach.
I am going to place a thin piece of plastic in front of the LNB and see if is there any signal reduction and if it is how much.
Then I will paint this extra plastic piece with a white acrylic-latex and see what happens ?

This is a good possibility that the enamel has metal (at least enough) that it could cause you problems. No bigger than a lens cap is how bad can it really look?

I don't think you will have any problems with signal levels and the paint, but the big problem is the waveguide cover itself. Some plastics do not react well to the chemicals in paint and the cover may simply disintegrate and fall apart or become mushy. This wouldn't happen immediately, it would be over a long period of time, but it may eventually happen.

Get an old, junk LNBF with a similar cover and try food coloring dye and water - let it soak and see if the dye will penetrate the plastic enough to permanently color it and make it look at least better.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts