Painting A Dish ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikey11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
canada
i want to spray paint my dish a different color.....is this possible without affecting the signal?.....is there a certain type of paint i need to use?

Sure, lots of us have painted dishes, I have one I painted three different times (didn't like the colors, haha).
If its a plastic dish go for some of that Krylon paint that is made for lawn furniture or any good paint thats made for exterior uses. You won't hurt the signal, unless you maybe use some of that metal-flake paint, and that would be hard to pick up unless you were looking for it.

thanks for the reply....this dish is actually brand new not even installed yet i just dont like the color of it.....so i can use any spray paint i want?.....it is an aluminum dish.....should i prime it first???

Go for it !! :D

Attachments

• Sat_dish2.jpg
    Sat_dish2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 177
The paint cannot be glossy on the face of the dish.
I used flat-grey primer, and applied two or three light coats.
Works fine.

Make sure the surfaces are clean.
You might want to lightly rough up the old paint with a Scotch-Brite pad (my favorite), but don't go crazy and rub through it.
The old paint will be your undercoat, so normally there should be no priming required.

edit:
.... uhhhhh..... what 'brand new' dish do you have that's aluminum?
None come to mind, right off.
We talking Ku dish or a BUD???

AND, one last thought.
If you do put on some unusual color or artwork like Doug did above, and use glossy paints,...
Just do a final layer of flat clear, and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
I've often wondered about this as well. There are several rustoleum spray paints at home depot which are supposedly for metal, is there anyway to tell if they contain metal flake or if they would be ok?

The paint cannot be glossy on the face of the dish.
I used flat-grey primer, and applied two or three light coats.
Works fine.

Make sure the surfaces are clean.
You might want to lightly rough up the old paint with a Scotch-Brite pad (my favorite), but don't go crazy and rub through it.
The old paint will be your undercoat, so normally there should be no priming required.

edit:
.... uhhhhh..... what 'brand new' dish do you have that's aluminum?
None come to mind, right off.
We talking Ku dish or a BUD???

AND, one last thought.
If you do put on some unusual color or artwork like Doug did above, and use glossy paints,...
Just do a final layer of flat clear, and you'll be good to go.

maybe it is steel i dunno.....yes ku-band 39 incher

mr3p if its metalflake paint, it'll be labeled as such. And probably priced higher than regular paint. Just go for flat paint like anole says, remember darker colors won't reflect as much heat back to the lnbf, keeping your electronics safer.

painting

Flat Paints work best imho... Flat Gray or Flat White works very well. Anole is right on the money, glossy paints will not work nearly as well as Flats.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts