Painting ota antenna

Rey

@ your service
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
I was wondering if anyone has ever painted their ota antenna and if it affected reception in any way.i want to paint it black.

Good question. My Neighboor hood association only allows ONE DISH or ANT, not both. Of course I am keeping the SAT dish up.

The FCC rules seem to confirm that they can restrict this to ONE as you are allowed ONE Ant per the FCC to get TV.

I would like to also paint mine black to hide it more. Maybe they won't notice and complain. I could get a small one and paint it.
The attic is not working out as it has all that aluminum causing multi path issues

I painted my stacked 8 bay clothes hanger with one good coat of gray primer spray paint to help protect it , still works fine , I think a heavy coat or latex paint could hurt things .

Good question. My Neighboor hood association only allows ONE DISH or ANT, not both. Of course I am keeping the SAT dish up.

The FCC rules seem to confirm that they can restrict this to ONE as you are allowed ONE Ant per the FCC to get TV.

if its your own exclusive area there is NO LIMIT to the number of dishes or antennas you can put up. I have 3 dishes and 2 antennas up on my house and I'm in a HOA.
With dishes you're covered under 1 meter dishes
antennas can be no higher than 12 feet above roof line

Painting an OTA antenna should not effect performance.

Due to weather proofing by the antenna manufacturer the factory surface may have to be roughed up to get good paint adhesion. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer for their recommendations.

I would like to also paint mine black to hide it more. Maybe they won't notice and complain. I could get a small one and paint it.
The attic is not working out as it has all that aluminum causing multi path issues

So spot weld a bunch of them together. Electrically it would be "one" antenna. :D

Build a radome over it and tell them it's a house decoration :)

Seriously though there are UHF flat panel designs out there that have the antenna in a plastic box which could be painted the color of your house and no one would question it.

Better yet, just hang some bird feeder from it and tell them it's for the birds benefit, add a pulley and rope to them so you can lower and refill them.

Trouble is the Towers that I want are 50 miles away and they are all VHF. Most of that DMA is all VHF High.

Most of the time I get there PBS, CBS, and ABC just file with the attic ant. To get it all the time, like others I really need an outdoor ANT that can be hidden. There is also the Wife and neighbor factor, they really did not like the dish. Hate to add an ANT that sticks out.

Any suggestions.

Seriously though there are UHF flat panel designs out there that have the antenna in a plastic box which could be painted the color of your house and no one would question it.

i had one of those and besides the fact it wasn't strong enough i have a few vhf channels it would never pick up. i got the winegard hd 1080 and attached it to a 40 inch long mast to get it as high as possible if needed. still making adjustments :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)