Painting receivers?

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Nope, I'm not talking about painting my dish (plenty of e-help pages on covering the LNB, using non-glossy paint, blah, blah, blah).

I'm talking about painting my vip211 (bought off E-bay) and possibly my vip622 (well still under lease so maybe not). Most of my components and all of my display bezels are black. I'm not extending my lease and paying $200 for a Vip722 just to make my 622 black.

I know to remove the cover, use primer and an enamel (not latex) based paint for metal. However, what about getting the logos back? Should I do stencil coverings or just try and repaint with stencils? Also, what about the clear plastic housing in front of the 211? I'm sure it will come off. I know some of the questions are basic. However, I figure someone here has done this before. Therefore, I'm asking first to see if there are any less than obvious gotchas (like covering the inside circuity when painting the front panel) I may have missed.

Thanks in advance!

Your asking to be charged by Dish if you ever quit service and return the receivers by doing that. I say do it!

If you own it, you can paint it pink and purple polka-dots, but the leased one is not yours to mess with.

If you own it, you can paint it pink and purple polka-dots, but the leased one is not yours to mess with.

Provided he doesn't submit the painted box as an exchange for an upgrade, even if he does own that painted box. I certainly expect Dish to at least try to charge him the full amount for the box, but he should be prepared for a fight. If he is sure he will never exchange it, and even owned boxes that malfunction can be exchanged for the same model box, as a lease, saving him hundreds if he were to replace the box with another owned box for which he would have to pay retail, but if he submits the painted box, good luck. I think painting it is just a complication down the road and not really necessary. I have a 222 stacked with all black components, and it does not look bad at all. Trust me, if the box is painted, we will see a post about how Dish offered to replace the box, sends it in, but then Dish charges him full retail because he painted it and how angry and upset he is and Dish is evil and how it was his owned box, after all. :)

I'm talking about painting my vip211 (bought off E-bay) and possibly my vip622 (well still under lease so maybe not). Most of my components and all of my display bezels are black. I'm not extending my lease and paying $200 for a Vip722 just to make my 622 black. ...
Why not just hide the receiver behind a false front? It has no controls you need to access daily. If you are using a rack, a perforated black 2-space blank could easily be used. Attach with velcro or get fancy and install a hinge.

There's a new version of the 211 coming out that's black. It was shown at the CES show in January, and it's called the ViP211k. I don't think it's available to customers yet.

Smoked Glass

Thanks, Mdonnelly. However, I won't spend another $200 (or less) or another 211 just for the color change.

Yeah, the 622 looks bad in a sea of black, but it's leased.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/allargon/home_theater/familyroomwithflash.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/allargon/home_theater/rptv_setup_bright_cropped.jpg

I'm still surprised no one did this.

What about if you just get a piece of smoked glass and place in front of the unit. Not saying close up the cabinet just a piece of the glass a little bit larger than the 622. Then some black L brackets, Velcro with the adhesive (or black double stick foam tape) on it and suspend the glass in front of the unit. :eureka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)