Palladia sound quality

That channel's audio is over compressed (like a loud furniture store commercial or the last Metallica album). Unlike rave, which understood that a music channel's only as good as it's sound, mtv/viacom has decided that since we like music, we must enjoy it loud and distorted. PBS has Sound Stage and Austin City limits and HDNET has concerts on the weekends for those still interested in live music that is mixed well.

i've found that the sound is almost always better in stereo (2 channels). i don't even mess w/ 5.1 for these concerts.

Not true

I agree it is suppose to be like the live concert; but the 5.1 separates the music totally inaccurately and it sound like a mess. The concerts that I have gone to all the music comes from in front of you.

The PA speaker systems may be in front of you but the reflected & arena sound comes from the sides and back of you. That is what most 5.1 & 7.1 is about.

The PA speaker systems may be in front of you but the reflected & arena sound comes from the sides and back of you. That is what most 5.1 & 7.1 is about.

Thank you.

Now, if someone is saying that the 5.1 is not mixed correctly, then I would say that it very likely !

But correctly engineered 5.1 concerts sound way better than stereo, aside from the aforementioned Buena Vista Social Club, there is also the excellent AC/DC at Donington Blu-Ray. :cool:

That channel's audio is over compressed (like a loud furniture store commercial or the last Metallica album). Unlike rave, which understood that a music channel's only as good as it's sound, mtv/viacom has decided that since we like music, we must enjoy it loud and distorted. PBS has Sound Stage and Austin City limits and HDNET has concerts on the weekends for those still interested in live music that is mixed well.

Great post! Nice alternatives

Thank you

Thank you.

Now, if someone is saying that the 5.1 is not mixed correctly, then I would say that it very likely !

But correctly engineered 5.1 concerts sound way better than stereo, aside from the aforementioned Buena Vista Social Club, there is also the excellent AC/DC at Donington Blu-Ray. :cool:

5.1? You guys must all have 5.1 receivers and setups. Palladia and MTV HD like the Encore and the Fox HD channels send an EX flag down asking my receiver to matrix the 5.1 into 7.1. :confused: Yeah, like I really need 6.1/7.1 for Fox News and Fox Business News HD. :rolleyes:

Fox?

5.1? You guys must all have 5.1 receivers and setups. Palladia and MTV HD like the Encore and the Fox HD channels send an EX flag down asking my receiver to matrix the 5.1 into 7.1. :confused: Yeah, like I really need 6.1/7.1 for Fox News and Fox Business News HD. :rolleyes:

And how did Fox anything get into a discussion about concert audio? And yes we have surround sound rec. Why do I want anything less with a Panny 42" 1080p HD plasma?:eek:

I don't believe it is the channel overall that has bad audio, but rather this particular Motley Crue show/recording. I also noticed that it was very poor compared to the other live programs they've aired.

Fox News HD uses only the front three channels. If you tune to Fox News HD, turn down the volume on the front three, turn off your sub and crank up the main volume at some point you will be greeted with white noise from your surround sound speakers (THD). My main receiver displays db for graphic volume level. On Fox News HD, I listen to -33db volume setting. Music levels vary by source. I have an Oscar Peterson DVR that requires a -7db setting. NiN is about -18db. To hear THD the volume needs to be up around +3db.

My promo with the Platnium pack is ending soon, I like Palladia, even though I dont like the 10.00 per month, I do enjoy this channel!

Uh, what? Palladia isn't in Platinum. I'm not sure what package it's in, but it's definitely not Platinum.

Uh, what? Palladia isn't in Platinum. I'm not sure what package it's in, but it's definitely not Platinum.

It's not platinum. It's the basic HD deal. Whatever that is called these days.

Do you hear this Dish Marketing Department? You have changed the names so many times we don't know what to call our packages any more!?!

Sorry. Couldn't help that rant. lol

Palladia has recently been airing a ColdPlay concert on MTV World Stage with the front and surround channels reversed (duh). I've checked and they keep making the same mistake, although the commercials have correct channelage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)