Palladia

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sure is. To me, if you pay a monthly fee for a service and they stop delivering the service for whatever reason, it's their responsibility to fix the problem or refund you your money and waive any contractual obligations. I know that's not the law, but there is such a thing as an ethical responsibility in this world. Not everything that's legal is right. Even the cable company will come out and fix the equipment they are leasing you, or replace it, for free if your service stops working, and cable companies are not exactly models of perfect customer service themselves, but even they do this bare minimum without tacking on a surcharge.

How can you compare an RG-6 line coming into a home with a satellite that can be affected by so many different things? Wind, rotting wood, kids hanging from it, etc... Most consumers want this installed FREE. What is the price difference from an HD satellite + cable compared to just a length of cable? You cannot compare receivers as cable companies charge a monthly fee per box as well.

There are some shady things going on with the way DN does things. However, if you had all you equipment installed for free, and your buddy got drunk and decided to do a tarzan off your dish into the pool, you shouldn't expect DN to send someone out to fix it for free.

HD for life customers should have all the standard HD channels. This Palladia deal is messed up.

How can you compare an RG-6 line coming into a home with a satellite that can be affected by so many different things? Wind, rotting wood, kids hanging from it, etc... Most consumers want this installed FREE.

Dish charged me an installation fee.

What is the price difference from an HD satellite + cable compared to just a length of cable?

I'd imagine the receivers/cable boxes are the most valuable part of the equation. It is true that the Dish itself is probably harder to maintain relative to the length of cable on your property, but but with cable there is a whole back haul of wires leading all the way back to the cable company's headquarters or wherever they bring the cable into, and they have to maintain that, and do so without additional charges. With a Dish, the only thing to maintain is the satellite in the air and whatever is directly on your property.

You cannot compare receivers as cable company charges a monthly fee per box too.

In the old days, cable didn't require a box if you didn't want HBO or the like. In fact, I have relatives who only just in the last few months finally had to get cable boxes because they were eliminating most of the analog signals in their area and they would have lost a lot of channels they are paying for. I think they are getting their boxes for free, at least for a certain period of time, as a result. Now, in the end, people do wind up paying a rental fee for the boxes, which is something I don't like about cable (Cable's not perfect either-- if it were I'd never have left). Until recently, though, you didn't need a box in many areas, so you'd pay no fee and they'd still come out and fix your cable if it was down.

Cable is getting worse and worse for the consumer in many ways. That doesn't absolve all of the satellite industry's sins, though. Even if it can be argued that they are the lesser of two evils, there are still issues with the way they operate. It'd be nice if someone could get a truly customer-friendly television provider going.

There are some shady things going on with they way DN does things. However, if you had all you equipment installed for free, and your buddy got drunk and decided to do a tarzan off your dish into the pool, you shouldn't expect DN to send someone out to fix it for free.

I'd imagine most of the time when people's dishes need servicing, it isn't because they did anything to them, but rather due to the wear and tear from the weather or equipment that breaks down over time. Since the equipment is leased, you'd think they'd come out and fix or replace anything that breaks due to "natural causes". Obviously, it's a different story if you decided to take your dish down and use it as a shield in a fencing match or something. ;) But I think stuff like that is the exception and not the rule.

HD for life customers should have all the standard HD channels. This Palladia deal is messed up.

Agreed.

If you lease your car and it breaks, I'll bet they replace it or fix it. You're only leasing your system from Dish, which is the justification they use for making you ship it back at your own expense (another kind of ridiculous gotcha to have to pay shipping on that) when you cancel your service. If you were buying it, you'd get to keep it.

For general maintenance you are correct, but for major problems they charge you. It is assumed that the equipment has been abused. E* doesn't make you pay for shipping equipment back except for when you terminate service.

They told me I would have had to pay $200 in extra equipment costs to get "free" HD for life, which of course I declined to do. I'm stuck with all SD signals, but paying the same monthly fee as "free HD for life" customers with the same package. I'm sure there are people out there who did pay that equipment fee and now don't get whatever this Palladia channel is. Seems shady to me. But it's about what I expect from Dish -- they offer a lot of promotions that have catches or aren't available to everyone, and then try to nickle and dime you with service charges and little gotchas, plus channels you'd expect to be in basic packages (based on what's in cable's basic packages), but that you have to upgrade to get (Versus, MSNBC). And god-forbid you're a sports fan in an area where Dish has a feud with your local RSN and you don't get any of your favorites teams' games, which might be why you subscribed in the first place, and can't opt out due to a contract and an early termination fee.

I switched to Dish because I couldn't get a deal from cable (After 5 years with them) and couldn't afford what they were charging, so Dish was a "life saver" in that regard, it's not all bad, but I've got to say I'm not going to be nominating them for service of the year anytime soon. ;)

P.S. Didn't get a signal due to the rain storm for probably the 25th time last night.

We do perform credit qualifications or authorization (depending on if you are a new customer or existing customer) when a customer is looking to get new equipment. For example our ViP722 receiver is $449 if you wanted to puchase the unit. If you were quoted $200 that would be a discounted price from the $449. Our HD Duo DVR receivers are not the only option when it comes to upgrading to HD equipment. We have a viariety of HD receivers that range in price. You may have qualified for other options and I can take a look at that for you if you want to send me a PM with your phone or account number. Also If you are consistently losing signal in light rain we may need to have a tech come out to repoint your Dish.

Cable is getting worse and worse for the consumer in many ways............ It'd be nice if someone could get a truly customer-friendly television provider going.

This is very, very true. It seems as all providers keep looking for different ways to screw their customers. Guide (aka. DVR) fee??? Tivo should have added that to the lawsuit too..... Lease fee for equipment you own??? SHaDy.......

Cable is not just for internet?? It seems you do not have TW, lol. Analog cable is still available, but the PQ stinks and there is no guide . Price for hd/dvr boxes ranges from $10-$25/each. They contract a lot, and there is a fee for any service call where the problem is on your property.

A single person could manage w/ OTA and internet-maybe throw in some FTA. Those of us with a family cannot. Providers know this, and take advantage of the "ease of use" subscription based programming provides.

You may have qualified for other options and I can take a look at that for you if you want to send me a PM with your phone or account number.

I already went through that process with another DIRT team member and was told if I wanted HD, I'd have to pay for more equipment. I'm also not sure at this point I'd upgrade even if it were free if it involved extending my contract, given the rumors that Dish may drop ESPN.

Also If you are consistently losing signal in light rain we may need to have a tech come out to repoint your Dish.

It's usually heavy rain, but we're getting a lot of it lately, so it's becoming more of an issue. Were I to have a tech come out to repoint the Dish at some point, would there be a charge associated with that?

"Since the equipment is leased"

Dish network does not lease satellite dishes. In fact the only things in your install Dish owns are the LNBF, the receivers, and the remotes. You own everything else.

Is the hunk of metal and wire really worth that much minus the receiver and the LBN? I was under the impression that the cost was negligible -- which was why Dish doesn't insist people try to pry it off or send a tech by to pry it off when they quit, but they do insist on getting back everything else.

Is the hunk of metal and wire really worth that much minus the receiver and the LBN? I was under the impression that the cost was negligible -- which was why Dish doesn't insist people try to pry it off or send a tech by to pry it off when they quit, but they do insist on getting back everything else.
First.. if you're gong to upgrade to HD ... for the cheapest dollar ... and to get *perfect* output to a nonHD tv.. do a 211k .... $100 to $130 at most places, even your local radio shack ... *and* if you have an old fashioned antenna ... you have the ability with the DVR fee paid... to record 1 sat signal and 1 OTA signal simultaneously.

Second.. if you needed more LNB's ... you should hang round your local dump ... or trash drop off points out from the big city.... people are always throwing out dish's they want directv, in with direct out with dish .. in with comcast cable... out with dish... etc.. I've gotten three DirecTv sat dishes *with* LNB and 2 dish network dish's with LNB that way...

You could even keep an eye out for old dish stuff on Freecycle ... I needed the dish's for doing wireless antenna stuff... and got a really good deal (free) from a freecycler that was getting rid of their "old junk" they no longer needed to keep it because dish didn't want to cut *them* a deal on HD .. they went with Directv... got rid of their older Digital Tube TV, Dish dvr receiver, and a tripod mounted (officially supported) Dish with dual LNB....

it would take a little and you'd probably have to buy the switch ... but it can be done without them... dish has *always* been the hardest on DIY setups. That's why when I originally started with Sat TV ... I was with Directv.. I bought my receivers (120 each) and installed myself getting 95 to 98 on the old signal meters... Dish wanted 400 bucks just for the installation .... F them.. now they're down to 95 for an install fee.. (or free with good credit checks & the 2 year commitment) DIY .... you'll learn a lot might spend a good deal of time.. but try to hammer out the details first.. and you'll be more likely to succeed.

It is not a question of what is worth but who is responsible to maintain it. If the dish is out of alignment or your cables are frayed you are responsible to maintain them not dish.

Whoever came up with the incipid idea that a business trying to make a profit is "screwing their customers" should be sent back to high school economics - O WAIT, that is what is taught in high school now - businesses are ALWAYS screwing ALL their customers - only the government cares - BS.

Well the truth is that business has to care about the customer because if they lose the customer they lose their livelihood, but government will always be able to confiscate property or perpetuate itself - it's government that is screwing you, not businesses.

Or you can look at it this way. Palladia is a Platinum channel that is made available as an extra bonus to those whom pay for HD.

On Direct, Palladia is in the HD extra package and not part of any basic HD package no matter if you get free HD or not.

Or you can look at it this way. Palladia is a Platinum channel that is made available as an extra bonus to those whom pay for HD.

On Direct, Palladia is in the HD extra package and not part of any basic HD package no matter if you get free HD or not.

Boy D* sure has a mediocre bunch of HD chs in the equivalent package to what I have now. I just looked at D* site to compare, maybe after my rates change in Feb. (not saying price increase just I will lose freebies).

Whoever came up with the incipid idea that a business trying to make a profit is "screwing their customers" should be sent back to high school economics - O WAIT, that is what is taught in high school now - businesses are ALWAYS screwing ALL their customers - only the government cares - BS.

Well the truth is that business has to care about the customer because if they lose the customer they lose their livelihood, but government will always be able to confiscate property or perpetuate itself - it's government that is screwing you, not businesses.

AMEN! Down with the Man!...Man.:amen::hippie:;):D

Boy D* sure has a mediocre bunch of HD chs in the equivalent package to what I have now. I just looked at D* site to compare, maybe after my rates change in Feb. (not saying price increase just I will lose freebies).
What package do you currently have?

Oh...I don't know anything about the Spanish packages. Choice ultimate has everything except the Premiums, HD extras, and out of market RSNs. For the HD extra channels you can add it online for 3 months free, and then cancel. The next day add it again for 3 months free. They allow you to do this over and over and not have to pay for the HD only channels (equivalent to Dish's HD Platinum channels)

Oh...I don't know anything about the Spanish packages. Choice ultimate has everything except the Premiums, HD extras, and out of market RSNs. For the HD extra channels you can add it online for 3 months free, and then cancel. The next day add it again for 3 months free. They allow you to do this over and over and not have to pay for the HD only channels (equivalent to Dish's HD Platinum channels)
So you have to drop and add every 3 months. What a pain.

whatchel1 said:
So you have to drop and add every 3 months. What a pain.

Not if you want to save $5 per month. It takes a few seconds to do it online. If not just pay the extra $5/month

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Whoever came up with the incipid idea that a business trying to make a profit is "screwing their customers" should be sent back to high school economics

Most big business operates solely to make the most profit possible. If you don't understand that, you're either misinformed or naive. Occasionally there is a big business here or there that doesn't operate that way, but usually they eventually fall prey to more callous competition. That's why regulation is so important-- to protect consumers, employees, and the world around us. Some conservative economists may yearn for middle ages style feudalism with a capitalistic sheen, where a small upper class controls all the country's real wealth, and everyone else are the equivalent of serfs just barely able to (and sometimes not able to) feed their families or have anything of financial value, but I hope at some point the American people say enough is enough and elect folks who will put reasonable restrictions on the consolidation of wealth in the hands of a privileged few and the gradual deterioration of the rights and the very existence of a middle class in this country.

O WAIT, that is what is taught in high school now - businesses are ALWAYS screwing ALL their customers - only the government cares - BS.

I was taught economics in college by a Reagan conservative who hated unions and government, and loved big business. He was a smart guy, but he was dead wrong about a lot of things. I haven't been brain washed by anyone, I see the world around me and realize what is going on -- regular folks are losing their chance to have a decent life so the ultra rich can get richer.

Well the truth is that business has to care about the customer because if they lose the customer they lose their livelihood

Didn't stop businesses from selling dead rats mixed with rat poison as beef soup in the 19th century. Ever read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair? Businesses have to pretend to care about the customer in some cases (Not always- like where a virtual monopoly exists), but they usually don't actually care. They just have to create a perception that they do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)