Panasonic 1080p problems with Directv hd dvr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

agsmith

Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
ny
My Panasonic is about 2 years old or so. Th-42pz700u. It's a really fine TV. Resolution is 1080p, 60 frames per second. It hasn't been hooked up to a blue-ray player. I switched from Cablevision to Directv about a week ago. When I download Directv's video on demand in 1080p, but broadcast in 24 frames per second. My problem is that when I view in 24 frames per second, the image shrinks to about 2/3 of the screen. 8" from the right and bottom have no picture, they are just black bars. The picture is 1080p I think, but it is way to small to be able to see without standing right next to it. All aspect ratio changes that I make do not help to fix this. Panasonic says to use the 3:2 pulldown switch to fix this. It's supposed to step down or up from film to video resolution, changing it from 60 frames per second to 24 frames per second. However, when connected to the Directv HD DVR the switch is grayed to off, and cannot be switched back on. Directv says that that their HD DVR has no button or switch, etc. to fix this. If you know any way to fix this, I'd appreciate it if you could help me please. Thank you.
agsmith

Last edited:
My Panasonic is about 2 years old or so. Th-42pz700u. It's a really fine TV. Resolution is 1080p, 60 frames per second. It hasn't been hooked up to a blue-ray player. I switched from Cablevision to Directv about a week ago. When I download Directv's video on demand in 1080p, but broadcast in 24 frames per second. My problem is that when I view in 24 frames per second, the image shrinks to about 2/3 of the screen. 8" from the right and bottom have no picture, they are just black bars. The picture is 1080p I think, but it is way to small to be able to see without standing right next to it. All aspect ratio changes that I make do not help to fix this. Panasonic says to use the 3:2 pulldown switch to fix this. It's supposed to step down or up from film to video resolution, changing it from 60 frames per second to 24 frames per second. However, when connected to the Directv HD DVR the switch is grayed to off, and cannot be switched back on. Directv says that that their HD DVR has no button or switch, etc. to fix this. If you know any way to fix this, I'd appreciate it if you could help me please. Thank you.
agsmith

Try to see if this switch is available in a normal input, something other than a Video input.
Many times options are unavailable when your actually on a Video Input.

agsmith

Your TV does not support 1080p/24 which is the format DirecTV is delivering, it only supports 1080p/60. Only some newer TVs support 1080p/24. But it does not matter, just watch the movie in 1080i/60. Because film-based material is only 24fps, the 1080i signal has exactly the same information content as the 1080p/24 signal.
You/Panasonic are confused about 3:2 pulldown. This works on a 60Hz signal to re-create the original 24fps movie, but you are trying to feed the TV a 1080p/24 signal and of course pulldown can't be used on that.

Your TV does not support 1080p/24 which is the format DirecTV is delivering, it only supports 1080p/60. Only some newer TVs support 1080p/24. But it does not matter, just watch the movie in 1080i/60. Because film-based material is only 24fps, the 1080i signal has exactly the same information content as the 1080p/24 signal.
You/Panasonic are confused about 3:2 pulldown. This works on a 60Hz signal to re-create the original 24fps movie, but you are trying to feed the TV a 1080p/24 signal and of course pulldown can't be used on that.

had a similar problem with a sony about 2 yrs old ....

after talking to sony & dtv extensivly we determined that they were not compatible & will not work in 1080p......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts