Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Owner Review

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Picked up the BDT230 today. If you have upgraditis, not mentioning any names Jason, don't bother. It is not much more than the last generation.

Features: Added Miracast connectivity for Android and a Web Browser. 3D support. 330 adds twin HDMI and 4K scaling.

Hook up: Connected to a Marantz SR6005 to the Sharp 844. Setup was painless as always with Panasonic players. Typical settings, Secondary audio off, bitstream, etc. Network hooked up wired using a powerline adapter. Quick. Updated the software to the latest version. Seemed to go quicker than previous players.

BD/3D/DVD Playback: I won't comment too much on BD and 3D. Playback is terrific as always. I will comment on DVD scaling as rumor has it, they are using the mediatek chipset with the new players. I am quite pleased with DVD scaling. I put in SW Ep. 2: Attack of the Clones. Wow. Does it look great! No jaggies, excellent color. No halos and no edge enhancements. 24p is still supported with DVDs.

Apps/Streaming: Same supported streaming apps: NF, Amazon (Prime Supported), VUD, Hulu+, etc. 24p for apps is no longer supported. Amazon app still does not support DD 5.1 when available. Disappointing. DLNA still offers only limited file support, no .avi, Divx. Oppo plays everything. It was resonsive, though.

Impressions: Overall it is a very good player. I was quite surprised with the DVD scaling. I am disappointed with the lack of DD 5.1 support with Amazon.

S~

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I have a 210 and a 220 in the house and am quite happy with both players. Don't think this would be a cause for upgrade, but would strongly recommend this as a good player at a good price for anyone looking.

I agree. Great player if you're looking. But... there is absolutlely no reason for Panasonic to not include the 5.1 Amazon app.

S~

I dunno how the hell I missed this post :facepalm

Well, you know I cant help myself so Im gonna grab a 230 today probably LOL. I think the Oppo is going on ebay. I should have just kept my BDT500 last year...

My 93 is disconnected again. Trouble with audio dropouts with the newer TrueHD 7.1 titles. Yes, many players are experiencing this. However, my 320 has not had one bit of audio dropouts on any of these titles. I made it about 5 minutes into Monster's Inc. before traing it out.

S~

Last edited:
LOL, I thought thats what you meant. They have always been very reliable when it comes to disc playback. I was thinking of grabbing a Sony 5100 too (I just ordered the 230 and should have it this week) just not sure I wanna even spend the time comparing. We know in the proper pic modes, both are technically reference (blu-ray) playback, and I hate the XMB interface. Streaming doesnt matter to me, I have a Roku 2 and ATV 3 if I really need to do something :)

Im sure the 230 is just a slightly refreshed 220, same with 330 and the BDT500 is a carryover. We are seeing that in the displays as well from Panny and Sony. I think the plan is 2 year lifecycles to save some money.

Did a little more reading, I guess the Uniphier is just plain gone except on the 500 which stays in 2013. It appears traditionally the non 3D models were Mediatek and the 3D models got the Uniphier, but to save cost all models now get the Mediatek except the flagship. Makes you wonder if when the BDT500 is retired if the Uniphier is dead... Or if the new flagship will continue the tradition. I need to check when I get home, I may have not sold the 500 and put it up in storage. If so Ill bring it back to life.

Not sure what to think about this, i know the mediatek is great on DVD, but the Uniphier was also a great product and Oppo has had issues from Mediatek as well. I know they want to get into the bargain basement pricing, but I hope we dont end up like where you couldnt buy any decent DVD player unless it was an Oppo.

Jackpot. Got home and checked the closet of lost av gear, and there sits my covered up BDT500 box :)

IIRC, I sold my 220 and kept this as backup. So now, this moves back into service, and the 230 will be my new backup. Oppo 103 is now up for sale.

Yeah, me too, but my closet is mostly filled with obsolete junk for formats I may need to access 'someday'. Dual cassette deck, Laserdisk player, SVHS VCR, a really good pro-logic receiver, turntable, etc.

I think the difference is that I aspire to own many of your castoffs. Just call it jealousy, and the fact that I am currently putting a kid through engineering college with another queued up to start in 2 years. I may never have enough money for toys :(

LOL.

We, we are both lucky folks. My wife and I work and have no kids, and electronics is really a big hobby for me. So it gives me the ability to goof around, but I get college is more important.

I've got 3 in college with three more coming up. Good thing I only pay wholesale. Still I don't upgrade as much as I used to.

S~

I'm also still pretty new to the AV scene, only been in it heavy since 2005. It took several years of buying the wrong stuff, or upgrading and realizing there was no benefit, to figure out better decisions.

I still like messing around with Blu-players, but I think even that has hit a stopping point. Nothing I have can be upgraded to something that much better without a huge expense, and to be honest I really enjoy everything I watch on it now. I just get bored at times and want to try something new :). I could always go out and spend $1500 on an amp, but I just dont see a need with my speakers and the 3313. I need to save that purchase for later.

Blu-ray players are even hitting the point to where to where they are not an upgrade, and some are even a downgrade. My next big step is building a house and a dedicated room with a projector.

I still upgrade, but slowly and with much thought. For example, I replaced a 1st gen Insignia BluRay player in january with a BDT-220, but I did it as the 230 was being released and COSTCO had the 220 on sale for $89. Didn't even consider the 230 at $200.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)