Please reply by conversation.

W_Tracy_Parnell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
Iceberg,

Got the 3500 today and my initial impressions are favorable. However, I am a little confused by the differences in the dish moving features between this and the Coolsat. I think I have it figured out now but after working about four hours and doing one system reset (and swapping the Coolsat back in to reset TS) I want to make sure.

1. On the Coolsat there is basically one "position setting" for everything. You can use USALS to get to a sat and then use 1.2 to fine tune, hit "exit" and save. On the 3500 it looks to me like you use USALS to get to a sat and then save your position. Then, if you want to fine tune with 1.2 you have to save again AND (this is what threw me off) you have to select a "user defined position" to do that starting at #27. If you use "null" it will not save anything. Is this right?

2. When you first go to "Antenna Position" and then hit "USALS" there is an option for “move” and it says in the manual “move by x degrees based on your longitude and latitude). This seems to make sense. However, as soon as you go into USAL it appears that the motor moves and you start to get signal without doing anything. So what is “move” for?

3. What does “Reference Position” on both the USALS and 1.2 screens do?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
1. On the Coolsat there is basically one "position setting" for everything. You can use USALS to get to a sat and then use 1.2 to fine tune, hit "exit" and save. On the 3500 it looks to me like you use USALS to get to a sat and then save your position. Then, if you want to fine tune with 1.2 you have to save again AND (this is what threw me off) you have to select a "user defined position" to do that starting at #27. If you use "null" it will not save anything. Is this right?

correct. USALS has the first 26 slots, 1.2 does the next 23 (27-49)

2. When you first go to "Antenna Position" and then hit "USALS" there is an option for “move” and it says in the manual “move by x degrees based on your longitude and latitude). This seems to make sense. However, as soon as you go into USAL it appears that the motor moves and you start to get signal without doing anything. So what is “move” for?
if you need to change your satellite location (instead of nudging), the "move" makes it so you can do that. Also if you are in 1.2 and you need want to USALS it, it won't move until you tell it too.
3. What does “Reference Position” on both the USALS and 1.2 screens do?
I've known that as true south but Ive never worked with that.

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.
thats why we're here :)

Thanks-I think I am on track now. I am moving between birds ok. Before, I must have been saving everything on "null" because after I had three sats setup I couldn't do anything. Out came the Coolsat to get back to TS. Oh well, live and learn!

BTW, the AC3 is great!

Iceberg said:
yes it is :)

make sure to set the clock right :)

Yeah, I never bothered on the Coolsat! ;)

I think the 1.2 "custom positions" or whatever they call it will be my least favorite feature hands down. If you saved your TS sat at "27" and then when you went in the next time to save a position on a different sat it defaulted to "28", it wouldn't be a big deal. But it does not do that! It goes right back to null! Bad news for a newbie. :no

On the bright side, once you have a 1.2 position saved it DOES default to that specific position number if you go back and want to tweak it.

The fortect ultra works that way, as well. I keep notes in my manual as to which satellite position I've saved to which slot.

snathanb said:
The fortect ultra works that way, as well. I keep notes in my manual as to which satellite position I've saved to which slot.

Yep, I'm doing the same thing. My brain is getting old so I don't trust memory at this point. Noticing a million little differences between the two receivers. Like after a blind scan the Coolsat stays on the scan menu. The 3500 goes to a screen with a video preview window and audio on. That way if you are doing something else while you wait, you will know when it is done scanning-nice touch.

I have to do a computer re-do in a couple days-having too many error messages and other problems. Also have to pull my cards out and reorder them and install a new DVD-burner. Anyway, when I get all that done I want to do a review/comparison of the two receivers from a newbie perspective. Should be interesting.

There's been a couple times where I've saved over a spot. Part of it on the 1500 is I've had so many satellites stored in it, I forget when I delete one :)

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Yep, I'm doing the same thing. My brain is getting old so I don't trust memory at this point. Noticing a million little differences between the two receivers. Like after a blind scan the Coolsat stays on the scan menu. The 3500 goes to a screen with a video preview window and audio on. That way if you are doing something else while you wait, you will know when it is done scanning-nice touch.

I have to do a computer re-do in a couple days-having too many error messages and other problems. Also have to pull my cards out and reorder them and install a new DVD-burner. Anyway, when I get all that done I want to do a review/comparison of the two receivers from a newbie perspective. Should be interesting.

I keep a little spreadsheet on my PC as to which bird I've got stored in which slot, as well as what my hottest transponder is, for reaiming purposes. My mount seems to drift a little after really windy weather and I end up having to re-tweak occassionally. I helps to know which transponder is hottest for that purposes.

IA 6 Problems

New day-new problems. :)

First, I found I have the dreaded "12060 V transponder issue" on IA 6. Except on mine it hits that TP and hangs-it won't go past it at all. It also seems to suffer long pauses (at least on that bird) on any TP with a 20000 SR. I thought I could run a smart scan and then exit and run a "Satellite Scan". Is that the same as a "Auto Scan" on the Coolsat?

I can't believe that it is a problem with the unit since it seems to burn through other sats with no trouble. The first smart scan I ran on IA 5 was 5 minutes and found 93 TV channels-same as the Coolsat but faster. Also scans SBS 6 very quickly.

Appreciate any input.

Yeah, I guess organized notetaking is just about a neccessity in this hobby. I think I will start an Excel sheet soon.

snathanb said:
I keep a little spreadsheet on my PC as to which bird I've got stored in which slot, as well as what my hottest transponder is, for reaiming purposes. My mount seems to drift a little after really windy weather and I end up having to re-tweak occassionally. I helps to know which transponder is hottest for that purposes.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
First, I found I have the dreaded "12060 V transponder issue" on IA 6. Except on mine it hits that TP and hangs-it won't go past it at all. It also seems to suffer long pauses (at least on that bird) on any TP with a 20000 SR. I thought I could run a smart scan and then exit and run a "Satellite Scan". Is that the same as a "Auto Scan" on the Coolsat?
Yep. The dreaded 12060 transponder

Easiest thing to do is back out and go to “edit satellite/TP” and delete that transponder. Then you can do one of two things
-satellite scan…but that will show everything
-go into the install screen (where you can select diseqc, LO freq, etc) and go to where it says “FTA & Scramble” and make it “FTA Only” and hit OK

Iceberg said:
Yep. The dreaded 12060 transponder

Easiest thing to do is back out and go to “edit satellite/TP” and delete that transponder. Then you can do one of two things
-satellite scan…but that will show everything
-go into the install screen (where you can select diseqc, LO freq, etc) and go to where it says “FTA & Scramble” and make it “FTA Only” and hit OK

Good idea-I'll try that. Should I do that for most birds anyway? Also, do you set "TV Type" to NTSC or Auto? Is there any PAL on CONUS birds?

Thanks

no PAL here...thats something totally different :)

Other than IA6 (where I have to do the above), I blind scan most of the satellites :)

Thanks. I got rid of 12060 V and all TPs with the 20000 SR (must be from Nimiq 1) and scanned as you directed-new world now, four minutes! :)

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Thanks. I got rid of 12060 V and all TPs with the 20000 SR (must be from Nimiq 1) and scanned as you directed-new world now, four minutes! :)

If you have a universal, anything above 12.200 is DBS and sometimes the Universal scans these in
If you have a standard, the scan should stop at 12300, so you might get one or two but not as many as the Universal

4 sounds about right :)

Iceberg, you mentioned Universal gets DBS, is that the same as DSS? If so, does that mean I wont need to mount my DSS LNB?

BTW, My Pansat hasnt arrived yet, due in on Monday, so bummed that I wont get to play with it for at LEAST 2 weeks now. My wife is due to give birth this week, Friday for sure if not before, which means I wont have time next weekend to install it. :( Anywho, at least I have some insight of what to look forward to once I do get it installed.

Here is an idea I have for installing the dish. I have trees all around my house and I am a bit concerned that they will be in the LOS, so I have a 5" tv that I think I will take up on the roof with me along with the receiver and get it all hooked up there with short cables so I can find a spot where I can get good signals. I do have a tower next to the house where the TV antenna used to be until the tree took care of that, I may be able to mount it there, if not, I have a barn that has clear LOS. What it the maximun length of cable that can be used for this? I have a wire chase underground between the barn and house that is about 70' max.

Iceburg,
Is there a way to set the clock to 12 hour mode? Instead of the military style 24 hour mode...
Have I overlooked something in the User Set-Up? I can't find a way to change it...

ACD said:
Iceberg, you mentioned Universal gets DBS, is that the same as DSS? If so, does that mean I wont need to mount my DSS LNB?

Unless you get the new Invacom quad, you will need a DBS LNB to get NASA and the audio stuff. The KU might grab the transponder, but the signal is so low it doesnt stay stable :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.