Status
Please reply by conversation.

W_Tracy_Parnell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
I noticed this morning that there is a new firmware-well it is a month newer than what I had (June 2005 vs. May 2005). The bad news is I don't see any difference. The good news is that the SD card works great for doing the update.

Just download the BIN file from the Pansat website and copy it to the SD card (assuming you have a card reader-they are cheap). Then from the main menu pick "SD memory" and select the file. It's that simple and takes about a minute-a very nice feature indeed. No more disconnecting your receiver and finding that RS-232 cord that you know has to be somewhere in the house. And you can leave the card in the receiver so you don't lose it (they are tiny). I "stole" one from my wife's new camera that she isn't using-you can use one as small as 16 MB. Now all we need is an upgrade from Pansat that emulates the new Coosat blind scan. :)

Im kind of new to this type of receiver.....can someone explain to me what kind of differences are common when updating the firmware? What do these updates allow you to do that you couldn't do before, and how often do they usually update the firmware?

pokey31 said:
Im kind of new to this type of receiver.....can someone explain to me what kind of differences are common when updating the firmware? What do these updates allow you to do that you couldn't do before, and how often do they usually update the firmware?

The most common method of updating is by using a RS-232 cable (supplied with the receiver) and connecting it to your computer. The SD card method I just mentioned is a newer way to do the same thing that I believe will earn favor with users because it is quicker and easier provided you have the SD card and a reader.

What features any update may add will vary. It can be all the way from no change apparent to an update that adds major new features such as the just-released Coolsat 4000 Pro update (see review section). So when purchasing a new unit you should check the company website for updates and then look here at Sat Guys to see if the update is worth doing. The Pansat 3500s update is not from what I can see right now.

Thanks for the info......im familiar with SD cards, use them with my pda often......i like the idea of using an SD card for updates..........anything to eliminate extra cables.

No, all channels intact including some that I renamed.

BTW, I did find one difference in the new firmware and it addresses one of my pet peeves. Before, when you switched sats and hit enter to see the channel list every channel on all birds would come up by default. Now, you see just the channels on the new sat. :)

On second thought, I might be wrong about that. I could be thinking about what happens after you do a smart scan. When you exit out and hit enter it still defaults to all channels. Not sure now if it did that before when you switch birds without scanning. I have been running so many tests on two receivers that I am getting mixed up! :eek:

when ever I move satellites, I always get all channels on all satellites. There is a satellite button that allows you to select just those channels

W., can you also import/export your channel lists via the SD card? This would be great for backing up your scanning work before a firmware upgrade.

God I wish I'd held off for a Pansat 3500 :no

Tron said:
W., can you also import/export your channel lists via the SD card? This would be great for backing up your scanning work before a firmware upgrade.

God I wish I'd held off for a Pansat 3500 :no

Probably not. You can back up whatever firmware is on your machine to the card. But the manual doesn't say anyhting about channel lists.

BTW, when you get time can you check out the "Coolsat Firmware Review" thread and maybe figure out my new problem there (with audio)? I am a man torn between two machines right now. I love the new Coolsat firmware but like the Pansat too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)