Pansat 6000 initial thoughts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I’ll do a full review over the weekend but here are some initial random thoughts on the Pansat 6000. This unit has 2 tuners and a PVR.
Hooked it up to my current setup and used the loop out to hook to tuner 2. This would give me 2 tuners but only same polarity. If I had 2 lines, I could use both polarities. I hooked it up and scanned in a couple satellites (T6, IA8, SBS6, T5, G3) for initial testing.

The good
-LOVE the PVR function (I only had one other PVR and that was for Dish)
-like the fact I can go back in the program (to see a good goal in the hockey game)
-the PIP is cool. Don’t need to flip between channels. It’s already there
-PVR very easy to use. Just have to get use to the remote
-recording two shows is a snap
-can record two shows and watch another
-meter isn’t as spazmatic as other Pansats

The “needs to improve” area
-when you record two shows, one is in PIP and you cant get rid of it
-blind scan seems to be slower than other Pansats I’ve worked with. Haven’t really done a lot of blind scanning. I just wanted to get it up and running.
-apparently you can’t set timers for two programs at once…but that may be something that I haven’t figured out yet.

Things I need to figure out
-If you are recording a program and go back, I need to figure out how to get back to the program. Example—start recording the hockey game at 7:30 and I sit down at 7:45 to watch it from the beginning. I can just scan back but if I want to go back to watching it live I don’t know how to do that yet.
-there is an option to cut programs from the recorded program. Trying to figure out if its what I want to cut out or to keep :D

Now this was a very quick trial run so things above may change once I play with it more. I hooked it up and played for about 2 hours. I reset to factory and unhooked for the time being and unhooked it.
But I think I’m really going to like this unit…review coming after the holiday : )

cool... looks like nothing a good firmware rev can't handle. That PIP while recording this is just weird. thanks for the preview.

Katrinasucks said:
cool... looks like nothing a good firmware rev can't handle. That PIP while recording this is just weird. thanks for the preview.

I havent got the hang of it but I think you might be able to hide it.

Its just weird to be able to record something and switch channels with no issues (as long as its on same satellite in the way I had it hooked up to) :)

Excellent! Happy you are Happy!!

Iceberg said:
I havent got the hang of it but I think you might be able to hide it.
Its just weird to be able to record something and switch channels with no issues (as long as its on same satellite in the way I had it hooked up to) :)

Now if only these companys could write a good manual!! it is called...HIRE A TECH WRITER!

So glad it is a winner for you! I would bet that a firmware upgrade could be in the works!!! Lots off competition! Pansat wants to stay in 1st place...anxiously I am awaiting your review!

BTW: DSL finally came back! Was a Major outage in Reno. I warned them last night of what was coming (speed dropped to less than 56K....nobody would listen!)

regards
Jeff

giz
the manual on this is actually pretty decent. it's a pretty big book with nice pictures :)

Since we got about 8 inches of snow late yesterday/today I'll have some fun this weekend :D

one good plus to this unit

REAL TIME CLOCK!!!

(The older Pansats didnt have a clock that kept accurate time)

Sounds like it can almost keep up with a DirecTivo. If I bought one though, I'd really feel the need for a T-90 (or 2) to back it up. That would be a cool set-up.

I'm just happy that it has a PVR...I record too much stuff so having VCR's is tough. Love the fact I can PVR hockey games. Going to do that tonight for the Sioux game

Going to try and get both Sioux game on IA8 and Smackdown on G10 at the same time (supposedly it will work with 2 separate dishes)

Katrinasucks said:

figured that little issue out pretty quick :)
if you are recording a channel and want to scan other channels on that satellite, it puts the recorded channel in the PIP box. BEFORE you record a second program, hit the PIP button and the first recording wil disappear off screen but still record.

This allows me to record the Simpsons and still scan G10 with ease :D

The 6000 sounds great, Iceberg! I'm now leaning toward that one instead of the 3500. Too bad they didn't put component out on the 6000, though :( Never can seem to get one box that has everything!

I read that it has a removable 2.5" hard drive carrier. If it's 2.5", that's notebook-sized. Is that what it has? Also, do you know if additional carriers (for extra hard drives) are readily available?

yep it has a notebook size hard drive. It has been tested to accept a 120GB HD..and it just slides into the slot

That's sweet. The fact that it has two tuners in addition to the PVR basically means it's two boxes in the space of one. Very useful indeed!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)