Pansat 9200 HDMI audio

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Grimgnaw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Central California
"The Pansat 9200 had a HDMI output and the HDTV I have has 2 HDMI inputs so I used one cable and got both audio & video through that HDMI cable." ---Iceberg 4/18/2008

I am attempting to relay my Pansat 9200HD HDMI to my Panasonic G10 plasma and I have yet to get the HDMI audio working (video works well). In your setup as mentioned above is the audio emanating from the TV speakers or do you output the optical audio from the TV to a Dolby receiver for the sound?

I have, on the same Panasonic HDMI input, successfully taken signals from my computer HDMI output as well as from a Monoprice #4631 component+Dolby converter (to HDMI) [component out of my HDD200 and Dolby out of the Motorola 922 coax] which does provide audio from the TV speakers. Thus, the Panasonic seems correctly setup.

The Pansat 9200HD literature mentions only video when relating to HDMI output. Software version is 1226 and confirmed as the latest factory version just a couple weeks back by a Pansat tech.

The Pansat is 100' from the TV but the extender works flawlessly.

Last edited:
while we are waiting:

I'm sure a 9200 owner will come along and give the right answer...
... but while we are waiting...

I've noticed that some DVD players need to be set up as to how they are going to output audio.
Does the Pansat have such a configuration for audio?
If so, maybe try all options??

Is there any chance your 100' cable is bad?
Can you move the Pansat close to the TV for a test?

The cable used for testing the Pansat was the same one used for the successful tests of the computer and HDD200 as it was dragged around to each output to iron out problems before any are installed for keeps.

Further, as I mentioned video works fine. HDMI is a bit stream including both audio and video and hardware problems would diminish both.

While the manual for the Pansat is more complete than many FTA units it is still wanting in detail, such as for specs of the hardware. My next step will be to disassemble it to determine chip mfg and numbers to get the respective datasheets describing their capabilities. I have gone thru both the Pansat and Panasonic manuals with a fine tooth comb.

This particular 9200HD was manufactured in June of 2008.

The audio may be there in a form not compatible with the L-PCM required by the Panasonic but the comment of Iceberg, as referenced, in my initial post implies there is something I could be missing. The tech at Panerax I talked to last might be the next logical step if no owner specifically states he is using the HDMI output and getting the audio as well as the video.

Thanks for the interest.

The Pansat 9200 will run both audio & video through that HDMI cable. My Coolsat 8000 does the same thing. I have a HDMI cable from the CS8000 to the Panasonic HDTV :)

The gentleman at Panarex provided no clues and the only chip between the microprocessor (ARM925) and the HDMI jack is a California Micro Device CM2020 to form the differential transmissions based on the digital output of the processor.

The build date of this unit was Sept 2008 rather than June of 08 based on a sticker on the bottom.

Thanks guys for the basic answer that audio would normally be on the Pansat 9200HD HDMI.

pansat9200 hdmi auio

I have had issue also, TV is a vizio. Usually turning tv off/on while in hdmi input will give sound,

With the HDMI input from my computer or from the Monoprice converter the sound is present on the Panasonic immediately. I tried your suggestion previously and now again after seeing your post with no positive result. Do you have an 8PSK tuner in your Pansat? I do not.

With the HDMI input from my computer or from the Monoprice converter the sound is present on the Panasonic immediately. I tried your suggestion previously and now again after seeing your post with no positive result. Do you have an 8PSK tuner in your Pansat? I do not.
Yes i have the new blind scan versioin. Seems like i may have turned the pansat off/on at the switch and have sound come on also. i also have to turn up volume all the way on pansat then adjust with tv

The audio may be there in a form not compatible with the L-PCM required by the Panasonic but the comment of Iceberg, as referenced, in my initial post implies there is something I could be missing. The tech at Panerax I talked to last might be the next logical step if no owner specifically states he is using the HDMI output and getting the audio as well as the video.

Why are you assuming that the Audio from the Pansat is always Linear PCM?. Some FTA channels use DD either 2.0 or 5.1 , make sure you are testing with a TV channel that uses PCM instead of DD. It is just a thought and very less likely to have happened but you loose nothing by checking. I assume you do not have an AV Receiver HDMI capable otherwise you would not probably have this issue now.

Also with any audio track the receiver has 2 choices , either send it as PCM or as DD (even if originally was PCM it could encode it as DD 2.0 and send it as DD). Check the settings on your pansat and make sure about this. Some equipment even have the choice to use both , like PCM & DD, and eventually will basically passthrough the original track without re-encoding. This scenario is more likely to be the issue here. Although I would assume that the Panasonic TV is capable of decoding DD since it probably also have an ATSC tuner.

3rd option , last but not least, a Linear PCM audio track could have different sampling rate , up to 192 khz I beleive now a days. It is common to have equipment that can handle up to 96 khz but not every equipment could handle PCM at 192 khz. Although I doubt the Pansat is acctually re-encoding the audio to PCM at 192 Khz , as the Panarex tech , you have to verify this as well. The best option , connect it to a powerfull AV receiver via HDMI, like the Onkyo 605 , just to mention one, and it will tell you not only it is PCM , how many channels (PCM could also be multichannel 7.1) but also will tell you the sampling rate. If the Panasonic can not handle PCM high sampling rates (even 96 khz) and the Pansat is using 96 Khz or the original audio track is 96 khz then this is the issue here.

Other than that , I have no idea what else to come up with.

Response to "Det1000":
That particular 8PSK tuner was a good choice of the four available I know of. When the FTA available channels justify the added heat in the box I expect to do the same. Thanks for the info.

Response to "hd fan"
I had no assumption about the format output from the Pansat, but did have an assumption about what the Panasonic required to produce sound. The Panasonic G10 manual has this in their "Technical Information" section:

Applicable audio signal sampling frequencies (L.PCM): 48kHz,44.1 kHz, 32kHz

There is no reference to any other format such as Dolby therein, although this does not exclude any possibility. Since this TV does have a Toslink optical output it was my thinking that if Dolby was present it would show up as an output there as a substitute for any internal decoding to produce stereo for on board speakers. That is why I asked the question earlier about the source of the audio being from the TV speakers or from a Dolby capable receiver.

The Pansat 9200HD is one FTA receiver that does itself decode Dolby and presents it in stereo as well as a Toslink output.. What they include in the HDMI bit stream is unknown to me at this point but is, of course, part of what this query is about. It is not described in any Pansat literature that I have found yet. In fact in the Pansat 9200HD manual they only refer to the HDMI content as including video with no mention of audio, again cause for my interest.

You are right that this is the first HDMI capable receiver I have owned. My 1998 Panasonic 32" CRT was too reliable to dispose of till now and my 2004 Sony flat screen TV had a DVI input.

The Pansat receiver has no settings, hardware or software, for what it sends via HDMI. As I mentioned above it does not even say audio is on board the HDMI even in its features section. One note of interest is that the Panasonic manual also in its technical section states the following in a footnote:

The HDMI logo is displayed on an HDMI-compliant device.

There is no HDMI logo on the Pansat 9200HD although there is a Dolby logo and 3 others not relevant to audio.

The ATSC tuner on the Panasonic and any decoding it does is not necessarily relevant for HDMI input.

The sampling rates the Panasonic can handle for the L.PCM are noted above. Yeah, I think I will contact the Pansat tech again and pose the sampling rate and format question. After the answer I got for the general question relating to the HDMI producing perfect video and no audio, that the output connector was likely separated from the PC board, I gave up.

The comments of LYNSKYN, ICEBERG and DST100 do provide solid evidence that the audio is onboard of their 9200HD HDMI output, and one even has a Panasonic TV consistent with the brand I have.

Another clue of interest, as mentioned in my earlier post, is that I have a Monoprice Converter (#4631) which transforms component video and Toslink (or coax) SPDIF (Dolby) into an HDMI signal which my Panasonic can produce picture and sound from. I used the coax (Dolby) input.

I very much appreciate your interest and comments.

After checking lots of TV stations the sampling rate does not hold much water since they use 48 khz, nor the other 2 options I gave after re-reading other posters. I am thinking that maybe the HDMI audio output capability on your Pansat is defective, if under warranty try replacing it.

Even with pay tv provider HDMI receivers there has been issues with certain audio or video equipment so the best bet is to wait until someone who has the same set up post their experience or if you could try a second pansat. I could not find any relevant info on the net. I really have nothing else to think about. Sorry I could not help any further.

Developments on the question of Pansat's HDMI audio content may be more of a Panasonic G10 TV problem.

Long discussions with the Panasonic "tech" led to no conclusion on the capabilities of the G10 although he agreed that it should be able to produce stereo (Pro Logic) even when fed the 5.1 or other Dolby audio via HDMI. He consulted with another, who referenced signal strength as the likely problem. This is unreasonable in that the video would be affected as well and it is perfect. HDMI video and audio are both carried on the same 4 differential-pair of signals.

On one chat site it was revealed that the Toslink output of the G10 provided only 2 channel audio when full Dolby was provided on the HDMI and that the HDMI had to first be fed to the AV receiver and then passed on to the TV to get 5.1 Dolby.

Internet searches revealed a G10 and V10 Onkyo HDMI compatibility problem. New firmware was released to correct same. I hooked up my internet to the G10 and installed the latest Panasonic firmware update (Ver 1.190), with no change in solving the missing audio problem on HDMI.

I checked a movie which I played from my computer file using the KM Player, where the audio comes through the HDMI on the G10, and it is 2 channel at 44.1K sample rate.

The Monoprice #4631 produced HDMI, which worked initially with the HDD200 component video as input and the Motorola 922 digital audio as input, is now also without audio on the G10 Panasonic TV unkike the original test. I am trying to repeat that success. By the way I have tried channels with and without DD (Dolby) into the Pansat. I now realize the the original success with the #4631 was using the 922 digital output port and not the HDD200 digital output port. This may be significant. The 922 audio output can be controlled and was originally set to SURROUND sound. The HDD200 indicates when Dolby Digital is received and possibly always provides the full Dolby to its coax port. No variation of the output setting of the 922 audio format (MONO, STEREO, SURROUND, DOLBY) has restored the audio relative to the G10 TV.

It is beginning to look like the problem is more Panasonic G10 series centered than Pansat 9200HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)