pansat and DTV receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ACD

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
I have my Pansat locked onto G10, and want to hook up a Directv receiver behind it. Will I get a signal off G10? If not where do I need to move the dish and will it have any FTA transponders I can use to align the dish? The storms have knocked it out of alignment from my true south, but I have it locked on G10. Right now the DTV receiver is searching for signal.

You will not get any kind of signal from a DirecTV receiver hooked to a linear LNBF.

You would have to use a Circular polarized (DirecTV or Dish) LNB and set your L.O. to 11250

You will only be able to see signals from DirecTV satellites with one of their receivers, but you will see the signal on all TP's even the scrambled ones!

Last edited:
So I would need a seperate cable run for the Circular output on the Invacom? I have both currently connected to the diseq, but I dont reall know how it works. I have zero'd in on G3c and have a decent signal, so if I were to connect the cable directly to the LNB C port it should work?

Only DTV channels you will get with a circular LNB is on 101 and 119 ( i believe the 110 slot needs a special lnb)
A disqec switch is not compatable with a DTV receiver. A 22mhz switch is (the switches I use were orignially intended for DTV).

Do you intend on keeping the pansat at g10 ( a great FTA location)?
Is this dish motorized?

If you intend to use the same dish (non-motorized) for both recievers, i'd suggest locking on at AMC4 (101). IF you are at G3C (95w) then you are 6 deg off
The 101 orbital location is DTV's main slot, so you will get the majority of the DTV channels in your subscription package. In this setup, run one linear run to the pansat and one circular run to the DTV receiver.

See here for FTA channels on that sat:

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc4.html

If your dish is motorized, i'd just get another dish for the DTV

Last edited:
ACD said:
So I would need a seperate cable run for the Circular output on the Invacom? I have both currently connected to the diseq, but I dont reall know how it works. I have zero'd in on G3c and have a decent signal, so if I were to connect the cable directly to the LNB C port it should work?

G3C is at 95ºw

If you have two outputs hooked up to a 2 way DiSEqC switch right now you are set to go!

Not sure about a Pansat but to set up the switch its usually in the antenna setup screen under DiSEqC
I have port one set for Linear and Port two for Circular, you still have to set the L.O. correctly Circular = 11250. Linear = 10750

You could also just hook up to a Circular output and change the L.O. to 11250 for Circular signals.

Hmm That could be why I didnt get anything when I pointed to 101. I have to fudge it and knock 3.5* off to get it lined up after the wind knocked it out. I will try hooking it directly to the C output and bypass the 4in1. Hopefully that works and I can get the local channels too. I have it directly connected to the receiver now with no signal, or at least no signal found.

Well, got some time to mess with the dish, tried to reset it to my true south, but the post and everything got loose on me and makes it very hard to line up now unless I use a step ladder under it. What I did was hooked the C output to the motor, bypassing the disecq, then moved it to 101. Found the frequencies of the transponders and found the sat on the list in setup then picked one TP. Went to 1.2 and started bumping it west until I got quality, then counting the number of bumps, went back to USALS and moved it about 7 degrees and found signal again, then found the best quality at 108.3 and stored it. I did a smart scan and pulled at least 20 TP's.

So How will I know I am on the correct sat for the Dtv?

Aww Bugger, got a solid lock on and it turned out to be dish network. :( Back to the drawing board. I really should look into finding some other way of securing the dish, the post in the ground lossened up and isnt s=working out too well.

DirecTV's core satellite is at 101w, and they also have sats at 110w and 119w. If you are trying to see a DTV satellite with the Pansat, that will NOT work. DTV does not use the DVB standard, so a DVB receiver such as the Pansat will never see DTV signals. You will have to use your DirecTV receiver to check for signal for DTV.

I have an old DTV receiver, DRD4200 is model number I think, I've played with it a bit now and then. All that it'll pick up with an 18" dish or a larger dish with an invacom is 101's channel guide, just the words not the picture or sound. If I had a subscription, I guess it'd pick up more. I don't subscribe, and don't plan to so it's in the attic collecting dust right now and forevermore.

When I first fired it up, many months ago, it picked up the a few pictures for a few seconds or minutes, can't remember, in the guide, but that was it before it put the big sign up that said that the subscription wasn't active any more and all went black... around that time, I started buying new fta equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)