pansat troubles

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crimefighter

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Hey Guys!....Been awhile since I have taken time to play satellite chaser...Last june I bought a pansat 2700A with b75 software loaded by factory. Contected it to a 10ft bud and had good progress finding sats and scanning signals, was very pleased with myself and system, then life got in the way again...job and farming make for a short summer...recently tried the system again...nothing...the Pansat comes on, shows time, channel, and shows some difference in the static fuzz...if I switch between tv and sat buttons on the remote...NO VIDIO or audio at all. Talked to pansat/panex in Calfornia ..was told the software had been corrupted possibly by the power going off and on IE thunder storms ect, Tech rep suggested I download the software via the rs232 cable/computer..believes this will fix the problem, I question is should I go this route or simply sent it in under warrenty...he seemed to think I should try this fix first...Im afraid it will not fix the problem and possibly make it worse ..DEAD...the manual says this is not covered under warranty ...Your thoughts? :confused::confused:

Could be a bad connection or switch. Had a similar thing happen with my Fortec. Unhooked the LNB at the back and everything came back fine. I then isolated it to a bad diseq switch.

Well my problem is alittle more extreme I think...I cant even get a menu to come up...no vidio at all...not even a the blue screen that first came up when I plugged it in the first time...not using a Diseq switch at this time and c band/connections are ok...thanks for the input!

do you have the tv set to the right input that the pansat is connected to? i got about 8 different things hooked to the back of one of my tv's, and if i screw up and don't select the right input, all i get is a black screen.

I would start by checking connections and components going to/from the Pansat (to make sure they are working and not causing your issue) and check routing to your tv or monitor as suggested to make sure you are tuning the right input to see the pansat.

If all that looks good, then it probably is the receiver. If the fuse in the power supply looks good and the power supply capacitors didn't fail, then do the software thing they suggest as there would be nothing to lose since you might have a corrupted motherboard and can't make it worst but could only make it better if it's responsive enough to take a firmware update to possibly uncorrupt things.

My friend has the Pansat 3500SD, it quit working one day. He sent it in and it was found to have a corrupted motherboard and it was replaced (darn near cost about as much as the receiver new to have it fixed). You may end up deciding to buy a new receiver than fix your current one if you have a corrupted motherboard and run the numbers on fix vs. new receiver that is not a pansat.

Yup, check that Chan. 3 - 4 switch.

If that does not help, you may have a bad RF modulator. See if you can get video to display via the "'Video Out" connector on the back of the receiver. If so, you can either just use that output in lieu of the RF connector, or you can buy an external modulator locally for about 10-15 bucks.

Only failing all that would I go thru the hassle of trying to reflash via the RS232.

As far as out-of-warranty factory repair goes .. I dunno, shipping cost out, bench rate, shipping cost back, insurance. You might want to see what you can pick up used on eBay before laying out the cash to get this one serviced.

thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunatly I have already done all of the above including using the vidio connection rather than rf feed, Misunderstanding....the unit is still under warranty...just that the book says if during the download (flash) something goes wrong...it would void the warranty...thats what is bothering me..I agree shipping cost would be an issue...Guess the answer really could be what could be lost...its junk now if not working so .............

Well my problem is alittle more extreme I think...I cant even get a menu to come up...no vidio at all...not even a the blue screen that first came up when I plugged it in the first time...not using a Diseq switch at this time and c band/connections are ok...thanks for the input!

My Fortec did the same thing, wouldn't boot, no video, nothing ..... until I unconnected the LNB entirely. Then it worked just fine. From there I was able to isolate the other problem.

.I agree shipping cost would be an issue...Guess the answer really could be what could be lost...its junk now if not working so .............

shipping is cheap - I think the 3500 was shipped for repair for about $10-15.

It's the cost of the motherboard plus labor (if they charge that additionally instead of lumping it in with the motherboard cost) that will get you.

Some time last year (maybe first or second quarter), Linuxman had a problem with his Pansat 3500 (though it could have been any receiver).
When he looked inside, he did find some leaking electrolytic capacitors.
That was confirmed by pictures he posted.
Upon urging by the peanut gallery, he swapped out the caps, and restored the receiver to full operation.
In that case, I believe he was out of warranty.

Look up the old thread (initiated by Linuxman) and take a look.
It might give you some insight into what to look for.

Of course, if you are still under warranty, that should be considered.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts