PAPPAS to cut off their channels from Dish Subss Dec 1 (RESOLVED-deal reached 11/29)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
This was posted in the humongo distant networks thread, but it deserves its own thread since it is really completely unrelated with the exception that now Pappas has more leverage over Dish since distant networks are no longer an option.

From the most recent changes on www.dishchannelchart.com

from http://www.nebraska.tv/news/local/4770141.html

...effective Friday, December 1, DISH subscribers will lose access to all Pappas stations currently being carried on the DISH Network. After protracted negotiations, Pappas and DISH have been unable to reach agreement to extend their existing carriage arrangements beyond the expiration date of November 30.
Stations affected are the following:
Channel 7191 KMEG TV 14 (CBS) Sioux City IA
Channel 7193 KPTH TV 44 (Fox) Sioux City, IA
Channel 7269 WCWG TV 20 (CW) Lexington (Greensboro, NC)
Channel 7553 KTVG TV 17 (Fox) Grand Island (Lincoln, NE)
Channel 7584 KDBC TV 4 (CBS) El Paso
Channel 8011 KAZA TV 54 (Azteca) Avalon (Los Angeles)
Channel 8381 KAZH TV 57 (Azteca) Baytown (Houston)
Channel 8231 KTNC TV 42 (Azteca) Concord (San Francisco)
Channel 8641 KTNC TV 42 (Azteca) Concord (Sacramento)
Channel 8968 KMPH TV 26 (Fox) Visalia (Fresno)
Channel 8969 KFRE TV 59 (CW) Sanger (Fresno)
Channel 9004 KREN TV 27 (CW) Reno
Channel 9114 KCWI TV 23 (CW) Ames (Des Moines)
Channel 9143 KPTM TV 42 (Fox) Omaha
Channel 9144 KXVO TV 15 (CW) Omaha

See ya
Tony

Press Release:
http://www.pappastv.com/pressdetail.php?id=93&prYr=2006

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 29, 2006

Peter C. Pappas
Executive Vice President/
Legal and Government Affairs
Pappas Telecasting Companies
875 Fifteenth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 551-1944 (O)
(202) 551-1945 (F)
PCP@pappastv.com

Mike Angelos
Vice President/Corporate Communications
Pappas Telecasting Companies
500 S. Chinowth Rd.
Visalia, CA 93277
(559) 733-7800 (O)
(559) 636-5558 (F)
MAngelos@pappastv.com
www.pappastv.com

DISH Subscribers Also to Lose Access to Illegally-Imported Distant Network Signals in Accordance with Federal Court Mandate on December 1

Visalia, California - - Pappas Telecasting Companies, the largest privately-held, commercial television broadcast group in the United States, today advised its viewers that effective Friday, December 1, DISH Network customers will lose access to network-affiliated broadcast stations owned or operated by Pappas that DISH has been illegally importing from other television markets. This stems from a federal court ruling that DISH has engaged in a pattern of violating the copyright laws of the United States by illegally retransmitting network signals throughout the country. Under the ruling, the court mandated that all “distant” network signals be removed from the DISH Network, effective December 1.

Additionally, effective Friday, December 1, DISH subscribers will lose access to all Pappas stations currently being carried on the DISH Network. After protracted negotiations, Pappas and DISH have been unable to reach agreement to extend their existing carriage arrangements beyond the expiration date of November 30. Nearly two million subscribers who currently receive Pappas stations through DISH Network will be affected. Pappas has successfully concluded retransmission consent agreements with EchoStar’s competitor, DirecTV, and the major cable system operators in Pappas’ markets.

The affected stations are affiliated with FOX, CBS, ABC, The CW, and Azteca America, and are the local broadcast homes of popular network programs such as American Idol, 24, House, NFL Football, the Bowl Championship Series, NCAA Football and Basketball, CSI, Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy, America’s Next Top Model, Smallville, 7th Heaven, Major League Soccer, and the 2007 Super Bowl.

Harry J. Pappas, Chairman and CEO of Pappas Telecasting Companies, said, “It may surprise our DISH viewers to know that, while DISH is charging them $5.99 per month just for their free local broadcast stations like the ones owned or operated by our company, DISH is unwilling to pay even a modest price - less than 19 cents out of the $6 per month they charge their customers - to the local stations that must spend millions of dollars to buy - or to produce - this programming. Our stations’ ratings demonstrate that our programming is of high value to our loyal viewers. We encourage those viewers to contact EchoStar in order to make sure that their opinions are heard loud and clear.”

The stations and markets affected are KAZA/Los Angeles; KTNC/San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose; KAZH/Houston; WCWG/Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem; KMPH and KFRE/Fresno-Visalia California; KCWI/Des Moines-Ames, Iowa; KPTM and KXVO/Omaha; KDBC/El Paso; KHGI and KTVG/Lincoln & Hastings-Kearney, Nebraska; KREN/Reno, Nevada; and KPTH and KMEG/Sioux City, Iowa.

This situation only affects DISH Network subscribers. Viewers of Pappas stations have other options available to them:

1. Free Over-The-Air Television. This free option is always available, and free over-the-air reception of our channels can always be enhanced, if necessary, with an indoor or outdoor antenna. Call your local Pappas station for tips on getting the best reception using an antenna.

2. Cable Television. Information about the cable television options in each community can be found by going to www.ncta.com.

3. Satellite Television. Other than DISH Network, satellite television can also be received from DirecTV. Information about DirecTV can be found by visiting www.directv.com.

In the Los Angeles and Houston markets, viewers have a fourth option: Broadband Internet Providers, such as Verizon and AT&T, which now also offer television services.

As most of it is CW, its a big who cares.

Well apparently 2 million people care.

"Nearly two million subscribers who currently receive Pappas stations through DISH Network will be affected. "

I'll hear it from my mom who watches this one, Channel 8231 KTNC TV 42 (Azteca) Concord (San Francisco). Dang, where are those rabbit ears antennas?

PAPPAS may be about to discover that it's available to 2 million, but only 2.000 will care or notice their departure.

The 2 markets losing fox and the one losing CBS will be most affected. After all you can still get a superstation for $1.50 for CW.

What I want to know from Mr. Pappas is if he is paying for the link to the DISH Network facility. That may be why (if true) he is only getting teh .19 out of the $1 or $1.25. It isn't like we pay $6.00 for each channel.

Shawn

Some people do care about their CW station. Besides as the article points out it includes affiliates of other networks as well.

The CW affiliate is the easiest to replace with the superstations as someone mentioned.

The FOX and CBS are another story.

Look for the typical 2-7 day turnoff followed by a new deal. We've all seen this movie, we know how it ends....

Scott..You'll probably get a buck.

Bob...Pappas has been known to be stubborn. It took two years after the Fresno market went up before Fox and KMPH were added. I wouldn't count on it being just a few days.

PR spin works two ways...

Charlie & Co should point out what they're paying the other affiliates in the affected markets as well as what the last offer was to Pappas. If either side is out of line then we'd see it.

Cheers,

They should just automaticaly give me a CW superstaion for free during the outage.

As for Fox, I will watch it over the air. Can they at least leave the guide data uplinked so I will know what is one? Maybe turn it red?

Ya this is a huge shaft for me. I get my CBS out of El Paso and they don't have enough broadcast power for me to get it over the air.

CSI is gone...

So what should we as subscribers do? Do we talk to Dish? Do we talk to PAPPAS? Do we talk to local affiliates?

Download any critical shows off of CBS.com if available. I know my XBox 360 can get a few of those shows now as well.

I don't expect this to go for more than aweek or two either.... The local affiliate doesn't want 10% of their potential viewers going poof either....

Damn...things are not going well for Dish.

After years of breaking the law, they are no longer allowed to carry distant networks, they are loosing the Pappas owned locals, and hey can't get a new trial in the Tivo case.

I guess Charlie's luck of winning in court has gone down the crapper.

Another broadcaster stabs itself!

I just called my local Pappas station, Reno KREN 27, to say goodbye!

I'll say goodbye to any of these stupid networks that force me to watch only their programming or nothing at all. I got news for you rupert, cbs, abc, pappas, etc. Your programming aint all that good. CYA!

I'm talking about programming that is supposed to be free. FREE. FFRREEEE! Why should any of these clowns receive even 1 penny from E*, D*, TWC, etc? If they cant get their signal to me and I pay a third party to do that, then they should be happy I'm watching their free broadcast.

I didn't choose my local stations. I can thank the morons in Congress for that. I say morons because I live in California but must watch Nevada political candidates tell me why I should vote for them. Duh! I can't vote in Nevada. To the folks I can vote for, whoever you are, I say how smart is that???

Screw all of you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts