Paraclipse Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I've been looking for a C band dish to replace my undersized 7 1/2 foot KTI mesh dish. There is a listing for a 12 foot dish in my area on Craigslist. Take it away for $20. A pretty poor picture is attached. I'm thinking it looks like a Paraclipse, but I'm not expert. Is it a Paraclipse and if so, is it any good for C and Ku band?

Attachments

• Satellite Dish.jpg
    Satellite Dish.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 408
I've got one similar

I've got one that is very similar and KU was a no go, not saying this one is but mine was...The LNB bracket likes to wiggle around on long moves as well. After a while I got used to that other wise a well made dish.

That 7 1/2 footer should work very well for C-Band FTA and if the mesh is sized correctly KU as well...

Last edited:
As an owner of one...keep looking. Especially with the buttonhook. Unless you have LOTS of time to tweak and tune.

If you do decide to get it, have a look at my thread for more hints, and feel free to shoot me a PM for more details.

I can also give you some info on converting it to a quad leg feed setup, which you REALLY would need to do to even consider Ku.

MauiGuy says his works for Ku with the bigger mesh, just not as well.

GOOD LUCK!

Photoman I agree with Stogie on this (about retrofitting ku), I don't think the signal strength impressed him although with some work it should preform well for c-band. check out his info on the Paraclipse, Although i suspect that you plan to use it as a c-band only system ?? The care & feeding of 12 foot paraclipse

the area of the feedhorn & how the lnbf mounts was important Stogie & Mauiguy posted some great points on the paraclipse :)

Last edited:
As an owner of one...keep looking. Especially with the buttonhook. Unless you have LOTS of time to tweak and tune.

If you do decide to get it, have a look at my thread for more hints, and feel free to shoot me a PM for more details.

I can also give you some info on converting it to a quad leg feed setup, which you REALLY would need to do to even consider Ku.

MauiGuy says his works for Ku with the bigger mesh, just not as well.

GOOD LUCK!

After sleeping on it, let me qualify some more. The dish in your pictures looks like a polar mount. If it IS a polar mount, look at how the elevation and declination are adjusted. If they have jackbolts like most C-band dishes, you would be fine with it. Mine, with the H-to-H mount, has NO way to HOLD a declination setting other than friction until you get the bolts tight.

The dish itself is a great engineering example, and yes, the mesh is a little PIA to work on, but it isn't impossible. From those pics the dish looks in pretty good shape. For 20 bucks, If I don't have to dig up the pole, I'd get it. Especially if they had good receivers to go with it. The 4DTV I got with mine paid for the rest of what I needed to rehab it. ;)

If you decide to get it, LMK maybe I can help you with some supplies that I have left over if you need them. Experience is something I HAVE with the Para.

At least follow up for us and go look at it and maybe get some pics for us to dissect. :D

Last edited:
I've been looking for a C band dish to replace my undersized 7 1/2 foot KTI mesh dish. There is a listing for a 12 foot dish in my area on Craigslist. Take it away for $20. A pretty poor picture is attached. I'm thinking it looks like a Paraclipse, but I'm not expert. Is it a Paraclipse and if so, is it any good for C and Ku band?

The "fish hook" feed that is on that dish tended to sag with age. If you get the dish you can either use guy wires to stabilize the feed, or i can provide photos (with measurements) of the parts necessary to modify the dish with a quad leg feed support.

Thanks all for the input. I've decided to keep looking. The main reason being that I want to use the pole that my 7 1/2 footer is on. It's along side my house just above the roof. The pole extends through the overhanging roof. A 12 footer won't clear the roof for eastern satellites. I'd have to extend the pole which i don't want to do. I'll be looking for a 10 footer instead.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts