Paraclipse ?? for Maui guy or Stogie or???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Got a question for anyone familiar with Paraclipse dishes. I'm slowly looking into replacing the accuator etc...on my 8.5 footer. Maybe I was wrong when I installed it but since the mount for the post accepts a square post that what I put in it.
Now I realize there's no easy way to turn the dish to my true south. I could move the accuator in and out to put the dish into position. I then have to adjust my elevation using the turnbuckle on the mount. There's not an elevation adjustment like a smaller dish. Just a declination adjustment. I'm confused anyone got any ideas? Hopefully the attached pics will show the mount clearly. Thanks Blind

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
Just from a cursory inspection is HAS to have something to do with the galvanized pipe with the nut on the top. That has to be it, from what I can see, to pivot the dish to TS. Loosen the nut, move the dish, tighten the nut. Is that the declination bolt too?

I bet that one will be a PAIN to get tuned to Ku with that setup too. :(

Maybe Mauiguy can give some ideas. :cool:

You will be unable to track the arc if the dish is not able to be aimed at true south when the dish is set at the top of the arc. Using a square tube is a big mistake, but can be corrected without removing the post. Remove the dish from the post. Cut off a few feet from the top of the square tube post and weld a round post on top.

Just from a cursory inspection is HAS to have something to do with the galvanized pipe with the nut on the top. That has to be it, from what I can see, to pivot the dish to TS. Loosen the nut, move the dish, tighten the nut. Is that the declination bolt too?

I bet that one will be a PAIN to get tuned to Ku with that setup too. :(

Maybe Mauiguy can give some ideas. :cool:

I think Stogie is correct. In looking at the photo closely, it looks like the declination pivot point is located between the polar pivot tube and the dish. (to the left of the declination bolt Stogie mentioned).

Measuing the correct declination will not be particularly easy. You will need to measure it while at the zenith from either the face of the dish or from one of the center plates. I usually measure mine from the backing plate with a digital level.

Brian had a good idea about welding a round section to the top of your mounting pole as you are going to have a heck of a time setting up for true North/South.

As is, you may be able to rotate slightly, but when you try to lock your dish down it is going to go back to the previous position.

Freom what I can see your dish is in great shape. Good luck with your "fine tuning".

One more thought.

Re-reading your message makes me think that you are constantly adjusting your dish by extending or retracting your actuator, then adjusting your elevation to compensate for not having the pole set to a true north south.

Did I read that correctly?

Blind, that mount is the same as the one i have on my 12fter. Heres the bad news, you CAN'T use a square pole with a square mount! You need to be able to turn the mount, so your going to have to put the paraclipse on a 3.5" OD pole. Once thats done, make sure the tab thats right above the paraclipse label is perfectly straight with the arm that holds the back of the motor. When you have that set, find your TS sat and tighten it down. Once you have a signal with your TS sat, then turn your turnbuckle alittle bit each way to get the best signal. Mine is tracking the arc really well and with a better signal then i ever had with the 8fter.
Hope this helps

Thanks to all for your help....Yes I'm currently having to manually move it and adjust the elevation accordingly. I knew I was going to have to take that sucker down again! Lol. Oh well looks like a project for next spring. Blind

Is it possible to cut the Square Tube, below where the Turnbuckle attaches, insert a round post, and Drill and Tap the Square Tube for some bolts?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts