Paramount Goes Blu-ray

GeorgeLV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Paramount Home Entertainment quietly came onboard via a statement sent exclusively to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday: "We are pleased that the industry is moving to a single high-definition format, as we believe it is in the best interest of the consumer," the statement reads. "As we look to (begin) releasing our titles on Blu-ray, we will monitor consumer adoption and determine our release plans accordingly."

Paramount seals Blu-ray sweep

My live in brother-in-law asked me last night, "I was online today and this pop-up ad came on the screen saying Blu-Ray won?"

I told him yes they will be the only HDM format.

He replied,"Well who is going to make movies in HD-DVD?"

"Nobody, at least now I can go buy all the movies I wanted really cheap"

There are hundreds of HD-DVD's I want to buy that will hold me over till I buy a BR player. It is not that I dont like BR it is more that I just like my A3 and will wait until there is a BR player that will fit my needs.

Now the only good that can come from Bluray winning is LOTR and Star Wars being released.

Now the only good that can come from Bluray winning is LOTR and Star Wars being released.

Lord of the Rings will probably come quickly, but I can see Lucas deciding he needs to completely revamp everything and do a super special edition and take 5 years.

It's true that Blu-Ray holds more information on the disc. It is probably used for special extra features on the disc. Interviews, etc.. I almost never look at that stuff. I just watch the movie.

Blu-Ray always tended to be higher priced. I just hope the prices don't stay too high compared to SD-DVD's. They look pretty good to me but yes, I see there is a little room for improvement. Upconverting DVD players do a nice job upgrading those images to an HDTV. For years I always searched out the 16x9 versions of movies rather than buy the 4:3 version. They do look very nice.

I have not bought any HD player yet as I was waiting to see who the big winner would be. I can also wait a little longer for a good featured Blu-Ray Player to go for $100 and the good stuff (1 Blu-Ray disc) for $15.00 for a new title. Until then, I will sit and watch the stores before buying anything.

All new players must be able to play all older DVD formats or it will be alot longer until I switch. Hmm.. if the were the case, I might never switch. (Well, not for a long time).

...It is probably used for special extra features on the disc.
Not really.
Mostly for useless features like PCM soundtrack and claiming it's better than lossless... :)
...I can also wait a little longer for a good featured Blu-Ray Player to go for $100 and the good stuff (1 Blu-Ray disc) for $15.00 for a new title.
That "little" would have to be replaced with "quite a bit" if $100/$15 are the prices you're ready to pay for player/disc...

Diogen.

Not really.
Mostly for useless features like PCM soundtrack and claiming it's better than lossless... :)
Diogen.

PCM Is not better or worse than Lossless it is identicle but all hardware can play PCM

unlike most of the players. the s300 does dd dts and PCM no lossless sound tracks.

PCM Is not better or worse than Lossless it is identicle...
That makes at least two of us...
But some Blu-boys - of very high level - don't think so
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-...-format-war-nature-s-journey.html#post1069109
...we have heard some "artifacts", "anomalies", "processing" for lack of better terms to use when comparing PCM to certain Lossless CODCES as well.
We do not stand alone on this as many of the more sophisticated engineers will agree.

In other words, if you don't hear it - you are just not sophisticated enough...

Diogen.

Blu-Ray always tended to be higher priced. I just hope the prices don't stay too high compared to SD-DVD's. They look pretty good to me but yes, I see there is a little room for improvement. Upconverting DVD players do a nice job upgrading those images to an HDTV. For years I always searched out the 16x9 versions of movies rather than buy the 4:3 version. They do look very nice.

I have not bought any HD player yet as I was waiting to see who the big winner would be. I can also wait a little longer for a good featured Blu-Ray Player to go for $100 and the good stuff (1 Blu-Ray disc) for $15.00 for a new title. Until then, I will sit and watch the stores before buying anything.

All new players must be able to play all older DVD formats or it will be alot longer until I switch. Hmm.. if the were the case, I might never switch. (Well, not for a long time).

Blu-Ray players can play DVD's. There were a few 1st gen models that couldn't play CD's. :rolleyes: Some play DVD-A's and SACD's.

You'll be waiting awhile for $100 Blu-Ray players. I don't think you'll see them this year even for Black Friday. I could be wrong. (They might close out the profile 1.0/1.1 players.) Part of why standalone Blu-Ray players are so expensive isn't just do to gouging (It's a major part.) of early adopters. It's because many of them have higher end features like 7.1 channel analog audio outputs that the average mainstream consumer doesn't need. Internal Blu-Ray and HD DVD drives are overpriced--period.

I wanted to sit out the format war, but HD DVD's low cost of entry and my need for a good upconverter sucked me in. I figured Blu would win back then. However, I thought we were looking at a two format world when Paramount switched. D'oh! I psuedo regret buying a lot of catalog movies for $15, etc. I say psuedo because a Blockbuster rental would cost me $4. I bought only one day and date movie at nearly $30. The rest I bought via BOGO's. When I buy Blu, I will go back to renting until they have specials, etc. I'm not rebuying anything on Blu, it would cost more than I originally paid on red.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts