Part Number for vip722K OTA Tuner?

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
I have had Dish for about 7 years. Started with the 6000U receiver. Switched to Voom. Went back to Dish before Voom went under. Moved to the vip622 (which I still have) and have added a vip722.

My dad just got Dish Network installed and they brought out a vip722K. Of course, there's no OTA tuner. Well, I still have the old OTA tuner that I installed into the 6000U. Will that tuner still work on the vip722K or is there a new part number? Thanks.

Thanks Bobby.

Is this OTA tuner pretty good? In other words, is it any better than the OTA tuner built into a Sony HDTV? My dad lives in the country and doesn't get very good OTA reception with his Sony HDTV. Any chance it would improve with this plug-in tuner? Sure, he'd be able to record, but it doesn't do him any good to set up recordings if he's not going to get very good reception. He might as well just set up the timers to record the local channels from the satellite feed.

Thanks Bobby.

Is this OTA tuner pretty good? In other words, is it any better than the OTA tuner built into a Sony HDTV?

Probably not. Generally Dish OTA tuners aren't quite as good as those of most TV's. If he has HD locals available on Sat, he's probably better off without one.

My dad just got Dish Network installed and they brought out a vip722K. Of course, there's no OTA tuner. ....
Suggest your father call Dish and explain that the OTA was missing. Who knows? (I did not have to pay for my OTA Module.)

If he's absolutely sure he'll never want to record more than 2 timers at the same time, then I would agree it's no big deal. Also, I have found the OTA module tuners on the 722k to be as sensitive as the 622 single OTA tuner it replaced. Actually, not bad tuners.

The Dish ATSC module is better than my TiVo S3, however. The Dish module is pretty good, but I would expect a high end Sony to have among the best tuners, as they usually do.

The only downside I am aware of with the OTA module is it is fairly sensitive to multipath interference. Though it will take a lot of it to cause problems in my experience. As far as overall signal sensitivity it is fairly good and comparable to a lot of tuners I have had the luxury of playing with.

Even if you have HD locals off the sat, the OTA tuner is a nice bonus if you do a lot of recording off your local stations since it ultimately gives you up to 4 simultaneous recordings depending on how they are used. All depends on your personal usage.

Cost

Had a install 3 722k receivers installed. Installer said they use to carry them buy Dish pulled them from the trucks cuz installers thru them in. He called Dish while I was there and she gave me 2 I paid for 1, cost on Dish web site is 29.99 plus shipping. Not sure why total cost 45.00. 15 dollars shipping! Thought that was alot but I did get three for that price. Best to just call. Have found they work get for me. Peace:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)