Part-Time Satellite

mfegley

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2005
I just bought a vacation home and was wondering if anyone had any experience or know of a way I can get part-time satellite service.

Dish or Direct can set you up so when you leave there they can suspend the service.
How long do you plan on staying there out of the year? Most people just take their receivers with them when they go to the vacation home. :)

Call and get it activated and keep it active. If you do not want to pay a bill all of the time you can shut it off and pay a $25 restart fee each time you turn it back on or just go to a seasonal disconnect and pay the $5 dish pause per month to avoid the $25 restart fee if you are going to start service again in less than 5 months to save a little money. If you just want the basic AT60 package without locals then you can buy a special receiver and a card monthly for $30 as you need them (just like you do with a prepaid cell phone). You buy the dish and receiver.

Stargazer

Could you post more info on the prepaid card option. I was unable to find any information on it.

Thanks

You pay $99 for the 301D receiver and dish. You can buy a $19.99 installation kit or have a retailer install it for you. You also buy the $30 card every month from the retailer that you purchased it from. Some retailers may have a higher price on it though as the profit margin is very low. You do not need a social security number and do not need to setup an account and there are no contracts. You also do not need a credit card and do not need a credit check ran. It's very simple. You just buy the hardware and pay for the card each time the programming runs out. As simple as that. Even if you had a balance with Dish Network in the past you can still buy this.

The bad thing about the unit is that only AT60 is offered. No locals, no other packages or channels. I think they should have cards that you can buy which would allow you to get a higher package and the locals. I guess this is good for starters and maybe they will introduce something else later on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)