Partial Signal Loss but only on local channels

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I can't figure this out. I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on it. I have a 722K.

Every day, for the past few weeks, I've keep on getting partial signal loss but only on my local channels (ie. ABC, CBS, etc.). It doesn't happen in the mornings. But the problems usually start in the afternoon.

I have no problems with the basic cable channels (ie. CNN, E!, etc.) and HBO.

I did Menu 6-1-3 and it says status is "Good" and it's all green on the 110, 119, and 129.

I was hoping the problem would resolve on its own but it's not.

What do you guys think is going here?

Would need to know what locals so it can be determined what transponder on what satellite (I assume 129 for HD) you are talking about. Then you would check that specific transponder to see what the signal strength is. Could also be LNB drift, which actually is my first thought.

Sacramento DMA. Yeah 129 for HD.

LNB drift is -2 for Value 7 on Menu 6-1-3. But I read somewhere here or the other board that -2 is normal.

It could be a dish alignment issue. It could just barely be pointed at 129 and when the metal heats up the dish moves just enough out of alignment for you to lose your signal.

It could just barely be pointed at 129 and when the metal heats up the dish moves just enough out of alignment for you to lose your signal.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for that bit of info.

Actually, I think it's the 110 that's the problem because I noticed most (maybe all) my HD locals run from the 110. It says 110 on the upper left of the banner when I press "Info" on my remote and I'm in live TV.

Do you have an ota module installed? You'll get the same partial loss message even while watching a satellite channel, if the second tuner is tuned to a weak OTA channel. I've had lot's of fun with that the last couple weeks... need to re-adjust my OTA antenna.
.... does changing the channel bring the signal back?

Do you have an ota module installed?

No I don't.

You'll get the same partial loss message even while watching a satellite channel, if the second tuner is tuned to a weak OTA channel. I've had lot's of fun with that the last couple weeks... need to re-adjust my OTA antenna.
.... does changing the channel bring the signal back?

No usually the signal comes back right away and then gets lost again. I don't need to change the channel. Some days it happens a lot and sometimes not as much.

Yeah for some reason, even when the locals were working correctly, I could never get the signal meter to work on them. I would do Menu 6-1-1 and it wouldn't return any signal strength. Like it would say at "0" but I know that isn't the case because the locals worked fine on my TV.

Yeah for some reason, even when the locals were working correctly, I could never get the signal meter to work on them. I would do Menu 6-1-1 and it wouldn't return any signal strength. Like it would say at "0" but I know that isn't the case because the locals worked fine on my TV.
You would need to check the signal strength on the 110 Satellite Transponder 18, as that is where your HD locals are. Please let us know, thank you!

You would need to check the signal strength on the 110 Satellite Transponder 18, as that is where your HD locals are. Please let us know, thank you!

Yeah I still get 0 for signal strength for this and it won't lock on.

But it was like that when my locals worked fine so I thought that was normal.

DSCN0414[1].JPG

Okay guy just came and changed out the LNBF (thanks Mary).

Just curious, when checking signal strength (Menu 6-1-1 for Point Dish), what are the transponders for 129, 110, and 119 should I be looking at?

Okay guy just came and changed out the LNBF (thanks Mary).

Just curious, when checking signal strength (Menu 6-1-1 for Point Dish), what are the transponders for 129, 110, and 119 should I be looking at?

The CONUS TPs that they use to check signal are 14 15 16 21 on 110/119 and 19 20 29 30 on 129.

You can also use MENU - 6 - 3 - Analysis - Send Status - Check Connection - Check Signal to check.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Well so much for replacing the LNBF. I'm still getting a signal loss.

Anyways, first things first, I just noticed the technician who replaced the LNBF left these 2 black wires hanging around the dish:

DSCN0416.JPG DSCN0417.JPG

I didn't notice them before. I think they were tucked in somewhere before. What do you guys think? Is that okay, that those wires are out like that?

Whenever you're on a local press MENU - 6 - 1 - 1 and it will tell you which sat and TP your local is on. It'll also tell you your signal strength for the channel.

Not sure what's going on with the cables from that angle, but most dishes typically have two cables coming from the dish for 1-2 dual-tuner installations. Other than looking messy, as long as the cables are in good shape it shouldn't be an issue.

Other things you can do to troubleshoot is do the 6 - 1 - 3 and make sure it says Good, then go back to live tv hit 6 - 1 - 1 then check switch, make sure superdish and alternate are unmarked, hit test. After the test finishes hit details both inputs should say 119 110 129 in that order, all should say even, odd, port 4 should say no connection. When you go back to live tv it will redownload the guide.

Well anyways, like I said in post #16 of this thread, replacing the LNBF didn't work.

I'm still getting a partial signal loss and full signal loss on my locals but not all the time. Sometimes it happens randomly but most of the time it happens after 2 p.m. and the worst is around 6:30 to 7 p.m. everyday. It's been happening a little over a month now.

I tried everything you guys said in this thread. It's still not giving me an idea of what's wrong.

Okay I tried this:

The CONUS TPs that they use to check signal are 14 15 16 21 on 110/119 and 19 20 29 30 on 129.

You can also use MENU - 6 - 3 - Analysis - Send Status - Check Connection - Check Signal to check.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I tried this when I'm having the signal loss problems. I tried transponder 14 on the 110 and I noticed the signal strength fluctuates from 70 to 30.

Also I get this message a lot when I'm in live TV:

DSCN0430.JPG

I used to think that's true and Dish Network knew about the problem, that's why I waited so long before getting help. But Mary looked into it and said nothing's wrong on their end.
So you guys still think it's an alignment problem since replacing the LNBF didn't work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts