Parting Gift from Dish

Zeptune

Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Sacramento
After having service through Dish since 1999, I called Dish to cancel.

Dished asked why, I told them I have decided to cut the cord. (Tired of paying for channels I don't watch.)

Dish asked if there was anything that they could do to keep me, I said sure, I want the following for $29.99 per month out the door, tax and all...

CSN
DIY
DVR SERVICE
ESPN
FOOD
FS1
HGTV
HISTORY
LOCALS
MLB NETWORK
NFL NETWORK
TBS
TNT
TRAVEL

They mentioned that they had a package for $14.99 with $10 DVR, which would be $24.99 + tax = less than $29.99.

I asked what channels... Dish said, locals, and some other cable channels. They were not specific.

I said, thanks, I'm going to assume that it does not include all the channels that I mentioned. Thanks for your offer but I'll pass for now.

Dish put me on hold then came back and said that they could offer HBO for 3 months. I said that I was not interested in HBO, just the channels that I mentioned.

They went ahead and canceled my bill.

This is what I expected, I knew that they were not going to be able to give me what I wanted, but I thought I would at least give Dish the chance since I have been with them for so long and have actually loved the service.

My parting gift? Well, I knew I was about 2-3 days into my next month of service, so I expected a small charge for those 2-3 days. On top of that charge, however, they charged me $10 to return my receiver (I assume as a thank you for being a loyal customer for 17 years).

Thank you dish for the bad taste in my mouth.

It's not about the money, it's about doing stand-up thing and not just following a process where everyone gets charged to return their dish receiver.

I shouldn't have to ask for a company to do the stand-up thing, it should just be done.

Thanks for your service, it was great while it lasted.

Much love!

Dished asked why, I told them I have decided to cut the cord. (Tired of paying for channels I don't watch.)

Dish asked if there was anything that they could do to keep me, I said sure, I want the following for $29.99 per month out the door, tax and all...

CSN
DIY
DVR SERVICE
ESPN
FOOD
FS1
HGTV
HISTORY
LOCALS
MLB NETWORK
NFL NETWORK
TBS
TNT
TRAVEL

They mentioned that they had a package for $14.99 with $10 DVR, which would be $24.99 + tax = less than $29.99.

I asked what channels... Dish said, locals, and some other cable channels. They were not specific.

I said, thanks, I'm going to assume that it does not include all the channels that I mentioned. Thanks for your offer but I'll pass for now.

Dish put me on hold then came back and said that they could offer HBO for 3 months. I said that I was not interested in HBO, just the channels that I mentioned.

This is what I expected, I knew that they were not going to be able to give me what I wanted, but I thought I would at least give Dish the chance since I have been with them for so long and have actually loved the service.

My parting gift? Well, I knew I was about 2-3 days into my next month of service, so I expected a small charge for those 2-3 days. On top of that charge, however, they charged me $10 to return my receiver (I assume as a thank you for being a loyal customer for 17 years).

It's not about the money, it's about doing stand-up thing and not just following a process where everyone gets charged to return their dish receiver.

I shouldn't have to ask for a company to do the stand-up thing, it should just be done.

Much love!

Everybody gets charged the $10 return fee. No biggie.

I may be wrong but I believe the $10 charge is to send you the box for the receiver and return shipping fee. If that is the case that's a bargain IMO considering the cost of shipping these days.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WiCkeDuDe
Post your name and address and I'll send you $10. I hate to see you leave, after 17 years of receiving value for your money, feeling like a victim. No, I don't work for DISH.

No blame here I understand you want to slash your cost but no one will have what you are asking, nor do I think it is possible to provide that exact list at that cost. I can see three things that would reach $25.
You should be able to see some shows from some of those channels online by going to a few different places and by subscribing.

Dish was found in '96, still an Echostar company until 2006.

*founded

Dish and Echostar were the same corporate entity until January 2008, at which time they spun out Dish Network into a separate corporation. Of course, for all practical purposes they are still joined at the hip.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

dish suits dont get it, by charging to return leased equiptement departing subs feel ripped off, thus less likely they will ever sub in the future........

dish coomiting suicide one departing sub at a time

Reactions: AZ.
I signed up for dish a few months ago and the $10 box return fee (per each receiver) was mentioned when the sales rep was reading the terms of the agreement at the end of the call.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the SatelliteGuys app!

CSN
DIY
DVR SERVICE
ESPN
FOOD
FS1
HGTV
HISTORY
LOCALS
MLB NETWORK
NFL NETWORK
TBS
TNT
TRAVEL

Much love!
I could see a package with these channels for around $59.99/Mo. Sports channels are the most expensive to carry. I think ESPN is around $7.00 per month for those channels alone. Locals are also expensive thanks to the fees charged by local broadcasters for dish to carry the signals, those locals are $10 a month.

My parents have the flex pack without locals (they have antenna for OTA) on one TV without a DVR, for $29.99 a month. It's around 60 popular channels, no sports channels at that price however.

It's a great package for those who want more options besides what's available over the air, for a dollar per day.

I wish what you describe were possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
dish suits dont get it, by charging to return leased equiptement departing subs feel ripped off, thus less likely they will ever sub in the future........

dish coomiting suicide one departing sub at a time

So, you think the OP would have felt better if DISH had charged him $1 per month more for 17 years to cover the costs of people returning leased equipment? Maybe so.

Actually, most people wouldn't think much about it, we just notice when there's a one time fee and pay no attention if it's bundled in the price, even though it is of course more expensive when you do the actual math.

Reactions: sam_gordon

What package does Dish have for $14.99? Was that a retention offer for Welcome Pack with a $5 per month credit, or does Dish actually have a regular-priced package that cheap?

dish leases equiptement because it makes their bottom line look better......
Dish leases equipment so that you don't have to buy it and then have to sell it when you jump somewhere else in two years. It's a convenience that is offered, you are required to accept it.....

dish leases equiptement because it makes their bottom line look better......

What does that have to do with the discussion? Someone has to pay the shipping to return the leased equipment. Either DISH can charge it to everyone in monthly fees or they can charge the customer who is actually using the service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts