Paused EHD Recording vanished after changing remote batteries

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
Tonight a strange thing happened to an otherwise perfectly operating setup:

I was watching a recording from the external hard drive connected to my ViP722 and paused the show when the remote batteries finally needed changing. I changed to a fresh set and when to play (unpause) the recording. Nothing happened after trying the play and pause buttons. Then I tried the on/off button on the 5.3 IR remote for TV1 and nothing happened either. I tried the menu button and that worked. So then I tried the other modes on the remote and they all functioned properly, so I figured the batteries were fine and something screwy was up with the satellite.

Since I couldn't get it to play the show or go to live tv or much of anything, I decided to hit the power button on the receiver. Nothing (at first). So I hit the mode button and nothing there either. Then I held in the power button, but before I held it in long enough to do a normal reset - it was like all the button pushes that I had tried in the last couple of minutes all registered in order (too fast to tell if they all did) and then the receiver went to live tv mode on the last channel it was tuned to.

So I went to continue watching the recording from the EHD, but it was gone. No other recordings on the DVR or the EHD were missing, but just the one that I had paused when the batteries were changed and all the button pushing was not registering. (I'm quite confident that I didn't press buttons that would have stopped the recording and selected and confirmed delete). Maybe it's a strange coincidence that the one recording I was watching got corrupt at that time, but I doubt it. I've never had problems with my EHD before.

Any ideas or has anyone else seen this before? Recording missing from EHD. Batterry change screwing up things??? I don't know what to think, except that from now on, I'm going to turn off my satellite receiver before I change the batteries.

Too bad, it was the family favorite 'Sound of Music' that my daughter just started singing the 'Do, re, mi...' song.

Last edited:
Why did you need to pause the program to change the batteries in the remote? Couldn't you just continue watching while you changed the batteries?

Hope your show comes back after a hard reboot. That's what I would try.

Agree with trying a reboot, but it may be that you accidently hit whatever button sequence it would be to delete the recording (however, I doubt this is the case as when an ehdd program stops it doesn't give you the option to delete, you have to reselect that program and select delete).

Hard reboot didn't fix it, since its gone from the EHD and everything else is there.

Hopefully the movie re-airs again soon. It does stink, but it's mostly strange. I've never heard of something like that, even after reading posts here for over a year. Oh well.

About 5 minutes before the battery change, I was cleaning up dvr events on the dish.sling.com site, but I didn't select that movie. Perhaps there was a strange glitch with the remote scheduling site and it took a while to register? Very doubtful, but a thought nonetheless.

Did you change batteries then because of the on-screen warning? Just wondering if this could be a strange bug that would cause an open EHD event to be lost when the battery status is cleared. Also the other side of that, clearing the battery status getting hung by having an open EHD event.

Did you change batteries then because of the on-screen warning? Just wondering if this could be a strange bug that would cause an open EHD event to be lost when the battery status is cleared. Also the other side of that, clearing the battery status getting hung by having an open EHD event.
Partially. The on screen warning came a few days ago only once that I saw. It was still working, but then last night the remote wasn't working right, so I figured changing the batteries would help. It did help, but the problem above happened right after.

So the remote battery warning wasn't even close (day or two before) to the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts