Pay Per View Limit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kayak

Original poster
Jan 3, 2021
Washington
I occasionally order pay per view movies on Dish. Probably an average of one per month. When I tried to watch one tonight I got a message that said the "pay per view limit has been exceeded" and the system would not permit me to rent a movie. I called DISH and they told me I had a limit of 300 on my account and I had reached that, so I could not rent anymore movies, unless I requested them to extend my limit. I have been an on time bill paying DISH customer for a couple of decades, and since I probably rented no more than a dozen movies this year, I must have reached the 300 limit over years with DISH. She only showed I had a handful of rentals going back to last summer. I was lead to believe that it is normal for a customer to reach their limit and have their PPV function disabled until they call and request an extension. This seems like an inefficient way to do business and is very irritating to the customer. I would think that if this was the normal process it would be covered prominently on the DISH site under the pay per view section, rather than letting system failure being DISH's way of notifying the customer that they have hit an internal limit that only DISH knows about. The service rep I talked to was pleasant, and after several minutes was able to enter into the system an extension to my limit. Who knows when I will hit the new limit entered, Is this really how their system is working for everyone out there?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Is this really how their system is working for everyone out there?
That's nuts! I had Dish set my PPV credit limit to zero to prevent spurious charges from appearing on my account. But I thought the limit (whatever it was) reset when you paid your bill every month. This is the first time I've heard of that 300 (lifetime?) limit.

I ran into something like this when I was switching from watching one on-demand show to another yesterday. I stopped one that was in progress and tried to start another show on our bedroom Joey 3 and it would not let me start the second show. It said my limit had been reached, it looked to me like another reciever was using on-demand, but I checked and none were. I ended up deleting the in progress episode I was trying to start, then resetting both the Joey 3 and the Hopper 3 to finally get it to work. Not sure what the deal was.

That has to be one of the dummiest things I've heard!! If a subscriber watches 12 movies a year (or whatever) and pays for them, Dish should be so appreciative. As a matter of fact, they should send a free code to watch another movie.

Is Dish saying 'we cannot make more money because you like ppvs so much?'

If Dish is worried that kids are watching ppvs without parents' consent, they should be able to reach them to inform about extra charges.

Reactions: dennispap and AZ.
I would have thought that the pay per view limit would reset each time your bill was paid. A lower limit that resets every time the bill is paid would prevent a malfunction or children playing from running up a huge bill. You have probably read about cases where a cell phone bill ends up costing thousands because a child plays with a phone.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Dweber has a valid point.
As a subscriber, I believe it is my responsibility to check my monthly bills to make sure there is no extra charge. I cal always call and dispute. I also believe that I can and should use the four digit parental control code if I don't trust my children (which is very sad.) I don't have any, yet still use that code. Just like OP mentioned, the limit should be posted at Dish's web site, on monthly bills, etc. Had he/she known about this, he/she could have called and reset the limit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)