Pay TV Takes Worst-Ever Cord-Cutting Hit In Q1 2019

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/pay-tv-takes-worst-ever-cord-cutting-hit-in-q1-2019?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3686&utm_content=TVT_eNews_5/8/19+&utm_term=&m_i=FCwvcH93Bwlsz6PJsOpxXGzjUMgkD2qSTDkBtRtYImBuP9tkZA_RsVIj0xGbCaRryaicMR5WGGalv4TOj69i73b0OcLQWLwFFc&M_BT=553581886132

"While traditional services continue to decline, MoffettNathanson looks to past history to forecast that media companies will raise rates to make up for its losses, which could further accelerate declines."

Just like the newspapers. Keep jacking up rates until you go out of business.

I've been saying this was the case. The cable/sat replacement IP services are just no real bargain now unless you really want less or can tolerate it. While I probably don't watch any more channels than many, because of the channels I want I would need more than one service and then the price starts rising pretty quickly. Because of bundling my TV portion of the bill is around $77/month for nearly all of the channels my cable company has, including the 4 Premiums. I haven't found a way to pay less than that with any other service or combination of services. So why change?

The bigger problem for cable/sat and the replacement services is that the younger folks just don't watch TV the way us older folks have. They don't hang around the water cooler at work discussing last nights shows. They much prefer just watching something they enjoy watching but less of it and not most of it from cable channels or even OTA

Reactions: osu1991
Even the startups I worked at had water coolers (or the equivalent). And yes, some people still hang out and talk about TV there. Shows like GoT get discussed, but mostly it is just sports talk. Anything to avoid talking politics at work.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The problem being that they can't really offer the key channels that people want without buying the crappy bundles.

I expect that over time, people will return somewhat to the MVPD model as it becomes too troublesome to maintain all the individual subscriptions.

Reactions: navychop

Just like the newspapers. Keep jacking up rates until you go out of business.

And as what happened with the news, you'll end up with a bunch of junk ad-supported online content (akin to free ad-supported news websites with clickbait articles written by underpaid or unpaid writers) on the one side, versus premium subscription-based content created by experienced and well-paid professionals (akin to major newspapers and journals that have a paywall).

And as what happened with the news, you'll end up with a bunch of junk ad-supported online content (akin to free ad-supported news websites with clickbait articles written by underpaid or unpaid writers) on the one side, versus premium subscription-based content created by experienced and well-paid professionals (akin to major newspapers and journals that have a paywall).

This is one of the reasons I don't mind paying to get my local channels (as long as I can FF the commercials). If I am going to use their content, and I don't watch the commercials that are supposed to pay for said content, then I don't mind paying a small fee to the station(s).

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)