pay

joshschuler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Am I underpaid, or is that the way of the satellite.

I work for a Dish Network (I don't know which is *E or *D) RSP out of Ohio, Digital Dish. With top pay, I'm making $41($6 above start pay) for a one receiver (301/510/88, etc) install and 8 for additional outlet ex. (322=$29/(2) 301's = $49) and now they're restricting equipment (lnb's, switches, etc) that we can use. Everything is a standard install (pole mounts, wall fishes, etc.). I am using their truck and SOME of their tools. I worked with my dad installing primestar's years ago and he made about $80(can't remember exactly) for 1 room installs, and got paid extra for anything over a simple install. Is this a sh!tty company or just the rule of thumb. How much do you all make.

Hi Josh welcome to satelliteguys!

The place that you really want to get hooked into is at http://boards.dishretailer.com

But for now maybe a retailer will be able to tell you something through a PM or something. Hope you enjoy your stay at satguys!

What you are getting is on the low side but, unfortunately, typical for an RSP. You have to keep in mind that your RSP is subcontracted and they are essentially subcontracting you. That means that the installation subsidies DISH pays to the retailer, or the lower ones they pay to the RSP if it is a direct sale, are whittled down before they get to you. And DISH has been lowering them over the years for additional outlets and so on.

If you know any independent retailers in your area that handle their own installs and service you will almost certainly earn significantly more if you can get hired by one of them. And if you do good work that doesn't result in come-backs and trouble-calls you should get raises.

My best installer gets paid about 2 times the rates you listed for those jobs. But he is older, more experienced, and we are in a high cost-of-living metro region. Payrates are generally lower in rural areas and most other states.

Payrates are generally lower in rural areas and most other states.
Not always. My boss here in rural Colorado pays $100 base, $25 add'l TUNER, and supplies SOME consumables.

Of course, he is an honest, ethical, giving kind of guy, and that's extremely RARE in this business.

I think most people get paid about $40-60 for one reciever in my area and then about $25 for additional outlets. I know of one that only gets paid $70 for 10 hours of work expecting an install and two SuperDish upgrades to be done in that time and I believe you have to provide the truck but he provides the install materials. Thats the lowest pay I have seen.

You might not get paid much but get steady work. At some places that may pay more you probably run a higher risk of sales slowing down. It all just depends on the market and who you work for. The retailer does have quite a bit of risk in the business and could even lose all of the money he paid to you for doing the install.

SimpleSimon said:
Not always. My boss here in rural Colorado pays $100 base, $25 add'l TUNER, and supplies SOME consumables.

Of course, he is an honest, ethical, giving kind of guy, and that's extremely RARE in this business.
Simon, this is actually exactly what my main guy gets. I'm uncomfortable discussing business economics in a public forum so I was intentionally vague. But since you spilled the beans...

Keep in mind that most installers accross the country will not make so much.

Hi Josh, Digital Dish got me installed.

A guy with initials J.B. installed it, then later Chad S. came to fix some problems with the initial setup. He went out of his way and ended up basically redoing it all, taking nearly 3 hours. But it's been working great ever since, tell him thanks for me if he's still there. :)

JohnDoe#2 said:
Simon, this is actually exactly what my main guy gets. I'm uncomfortable discussing business economics in a public forum so I was intentionally vague. But since you spilled the beans...

Keep in mind that most installers accross the country will not make so much.
I am HAPPY to discuss how badly most installers are abused by their retailers.

I will NOT discuss the economics of E* and the retailer, but we BOTH know there's enough money to cover the beans I spilled.

I was in the second to top teir and I was getting $90 for 1 rcvr, $15 each addl, dual tuners treated as 2 rcvrs.. and I'm in a pretty rural area. But I had to provide all supplies and cable. Only Superdish poles were provided.

I think Josh's problem is that his pay would be better if Digital Dish didn't supply the vehicle, pay for the gas, supplies, workers comp, and furnish insurance benefits. Otherwise his pay/install would be closer in line to Bcshield's

webbydude said:
I think Josh's problem is that his pay would be better if Digital Dish didn't supply the vehicle, pay for the gas, supplies, workers comp, and furnish insurance benefits. Otherwise his pay/install would be closer in line to Bcshield's
If that's true, especilly fringe benefits, then he's not being screwed AS MUCH.

yeah, i'm looking into sub contracting, just not certain on all the cost, insurance, my own vehicle, etc. It is great that everything's supplied to me, but the restrictions and requirements are getting so great that the satellite business is just no fun anymore.

The problem with subcontracting...ESPECIALLY with Digital dish ;) ...is their tendency to take care of their "own". Unless you find another service provider to subcontact for, you will realize very quickly that DD's "employees" will get 1st dibs on job assignments. That is actually stated somewhere in the Field Supervisor Manager's handbook. Other than that issue, it isn't that bad of a way to go. I'm probably one of the few remaining independents they have

webbydude said:
The problem with subcontracting...ESPECIALLY with Digital dish ;) ...is their tendency to take care of their "own". Unless you find another service provider to subcontact for, you will realize very quickly that DD's "employees" will get 1st dibs on job assignments. That is actually stated somewhere in the Field Supervisor Manager's handbook. Other than that issue, it isn't that bad of a way to go. I'm probably one of the few remaining independents they have

where you out of

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts