paying a fee of US5.00 for each receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

asf4588

Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
I don't want to pay anymore a fee of US5.00 for my receivers. I have 4 receivers and I'm asking if somebody know a way to avoid this payment.

Any advice ?

With Dish Network we can use 2 receivers and they don't charge the US5.00 fee

There is no way of getting around paying the mirror fee other than dropping the extra receivers.

Both satellite companies do it (unless you have DISH's dual output boxes) and the cable companies do it too.

damaged said:
Then switch/stay to/with Dish.
I don't like Dish.

But, NO way to avoid that fee. :confused:

any equipment that can be used to have signal with just 1 receiver

Neutron said:
There is no way of getting around paying the mirror fee other than dropping the extra receivers.

Both satellite companies do it (unless you have DISH's dual output boxes) and the cable companies do it too.

He said he has 4 receivers, I think Curtis was just answering him on how to not pay the mirror fee by simply stating: "Only have 1 receiver". :)

asf4588 said:
I don't like Dish. But, NO way to avoid that fee. :confused:

CONFUSED?: the DISH RF receiver deal seems like crap, bad picture and all.

DirecTV maintains a receiver at EACH TV best picture quality, and $5 per each.

You COULD run a crap cable splitter setup out from one receiver to every TV, but then they would all watch the same channels at once and have even a worse picture.

Neutron said:

Thanks Sir. !!!

I like the service of Directv and I will not disconnect my receivers.

asf4588 said:
I don't like Dish.

But, NO way to avoid that fee. :confused:

You either use 4 receivers, and pay mirror fees on the 3, or you can pay FULL subscription price on ALL 4 (which is how it used to be before mirroring (so mirroring is a GOOD thing)), or you can drop 3 receivers and just pay for the one. There is no equipment that will mirror programming from one receiver to another in your home, because the programming is on each card, not the receivers. (sans illegal methods)

Maybe they will offer dual (or over 2 tuners) in each receiver to reduce the additional outlet fees once they swap out people to MPEG-4.

Stargazer said:
Maybe they will offer dual (or over 2 tuners) in each receiver to reduce the additional outlet fees once they swap out people to MPEG-4.

Suppose you're running a business.

Suppose you had a choice:
a) charge each customer a subscription fee, then $5 more for each additional rcvr

b) add hardware to the rcvr, eat the cost of hardware & development, and skip the $5/month mirror charge (translation: add cost, reduce revenue)

If you chose (b), you wouldn't be in business very long.

Don't count on it.

About the best thing you could expect would be dual-tuner rcvr's, to regain use of your TV's PiP feature.

I was thinking the same thing then I thought "hmm, Dish Network brought the dual tuners out for some reasons" so I figured DirecTv would bring the dual tuners with two tv outputs to their customers for those same reasons. It saves them on hardware costs, they can better compete against cable additional outlet fee charges, and people are less likely to be able to have the receivers elsewhere. I read on the message boards a while back where the $5 a month was for the encryption and had to be paid to the smart card manufacturer and that is why it can be waived if you have a dual tuner receiver. I even heard Charlie mention something about that on a Charlie Chat a while back.

They certainly have their niche; people who are more concerned with costs vs. overall PQ, but they should NEVER be the only standard receiver available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts