PBS (87W) and AC3 (SPDIF)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Virgil Gomes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Hi Everyone,

I have a Pansat 2500A. I trying to get PBS at 87W. I've got the video but can't get the audio.

I know that I have to us the AC3 output of the Pansat 2500A, but what do I do with it. Do I need a special receiver/decoder?

Help!!

Thanks

Virgil

Virgil Gomes said:
Hi Everyone,

I have a Pansat 2500A. I trying to get PBS at 87W. I've got the video but can't get the audio.

I know that I have to us the AC3 output of the Pansat 2500A, but what do I do with it. Do I need a special receiver/decoder?

Help!!

Thanks

Virgil

You need an external decoder or a receiver with the decoder built in. I read somewhere that Wally world sold a system for $80. I can't remember the name of it started with a D.
If you search Google "Dolby digital decoder" its the same thing but you come up with more than AC-3.

I think my 4DTV DSR-922 has built in decoder but they don’t include the PBS channels in the channel map even though some are in the DC-2 format.

Something like this would work I think.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tu89tb...0420&I=257RX6040B&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

I have been looking at these so I could watch PBS also.

x257rx6040b-b.jpeg

Looks like it has digital in for TV plus others.

That's similar to mine, a Sony STR-DE-somethingsomething...
Except the digital audio connections on mine are a long story... it has an optical for cable/sat box, and both a coax and optical for dvd player. When I had the Scientific Atlanta 2200 through TWC, it had coax only and my dvd player has optical only so I had to swap the functions. I could rename them on the stereo but you can't change what's printed on the remote's buttons. :( But then I ditched TWC and got E*, the 522 has optical out so it went back to normal connections. :) But then I got my Pansat 2500A which only has coax out, and that's the one remaining free input on my stereo. It's for DVD though, so it all works out until I accidently turn on the DVD player while the Pansat is already on... that would be cool... :cool:

TBI said:
You need an external decoder or a receiver with the decoder built in. I read somewhere that Wally world sold a system for $80. I can't remember the name of it started with a D.
If you search Google "Dolby digital decoder" its the same thing but you come up with more than AC-3.

holy sh*t....I bought one of those systems for 49.95 clearance and totally forgot it had a digital input. Now if my 1500 had AC-3 output (it doesnt)

If you're thinking of getting a digital audio decoding receiver, get one with the blue LED that comes on for DD5.1 streams. You'll feel so leet when it lights up. :D

I have never had any luck with those PBS feeds on AMC 3, video, but no audio, audio, but no video. Your best bet for PBS is Montana PBS on AMC 3, freq 12085, SR 4340. Red Green, Saturday nights, 11:00pm eastern.

"Keep your stick on the ice."

Diamond Jim said:
Your best bet for PBS is Montana PBS on AMC 3, freq 12085, SR 4340. Red Green, Saturday nights, 11:00pm eastern.

'

yes indeed

Sat nights on my setup
8-9 on KAWB 22 (Mpls locals)
10-11 on WDSE 8 (Duluth locals)
10-11 on Montana PBS
11-11:30 on KTCA 2 (Mpls locals)

plus 5 days a week on the CBC...gotta love it :):D:)

Iceman,

Are your PBS locals being picked up with a regular rooftop antenna or are they on FTA? Also, how are you getting CBC, I was a dedicated CBC watcher and I am p***ed that I can get it anymore.

Red Green five days a week, man that's like being in heaven.

Status
Please reply by conversation.