Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Are the PBS channels still on AMC 3?

I have AMC 3 locked in on my Coolsat Pro 4000 and am getting MTA International (about 4 channels) and a scrambled feed of CNN Newsource. The first channel is divided into three sections with text on the bottom and video on the top. Am I on the correct satellite? These are the only channels that appear when I perform a blind scan. All the other satellites nearby are coming in fine showing all available H and V channels.

I tried entering it in manually without any luck.

The PBS channels are still there, but probably have the weakest transponder on that bird. It took me getting an Invacom LNB and nudging around for a good enough signal to watch on my 76cm Winegard.

they show a low signal, but tI think they are still there.

you are on the right satellite...you should also be getting Patient Network & TIP TV

Iceberg said:
they show a low signal, but tI think they are still there.

you are on the right satellite...you should also be getting Patient Network & TIP TV

Oddly enough, I don't receive the Patient Network as well. I just get the first divided channel followed by 3-4 additional channels showing a man wearing a turbin with what looks like yellow easter egg grass on top. :)

Actually, come to think of it, I used the PBS channels for fine tuning my setup (lnb slid forward/back, tiny height adjustments, etc). I got my kids off normal cartoons and they've been watching PBS Kids for a few weeks now (lookie, I'm a good parent! lol). With the Invacom I often get 41% Quality, but if I nudge the dish 3 steps in either direction I lose the signal entirely, while still keeping the stronger MTA signals. It's a little bit of a challenge to tune in on a 30" sometimes, but it'll only help peak your setup and I've caught myself watching a show or two on them as well :rolleyes:

I have probs with those up in southern canada as well. On a clear day I can get enough qual to watch the PBS stuff, even PBS montana. The "hairy christna" or whatever it is network, seems to come in just fine, no matter what the weather is...figures. The tip and patient come in ok too. There was a time I had the patient booming at about 80% qual, but now, only around 60%. When they say that the pole must be perfectly plumb, their not kidding, especially with a motor. I don't know how many times I have tweaked and re-tweaked the pole.

sg2100, twinhan 1020a, digiwave 7000, 30" wineguard.

Calgary Canada

Tonight I adjusted my elevation and gained about a 5-8% increase in signal. I now receive all the PBS channels.

How do I get the AC3 audio on the PBS channels? I thought my Coolsat 4000 Pro had this feature, but it isn't listed in the users manual.

PopcornNMore said:
Tonight I adjusted my elevation and gained about a 5-8% increase in signal. I now receive all the PBS channels.

How do I get the AC3 audio on the PBS channels? I thought my Coolsat 4000 Pro had this feature, but it isn't listed in the users manual.
I thought so too. Many sellers even say it does... but it does not pass AC3 audio :(.

Shawn

Coolsats website says their newest model, the coolsat 4000 pro, does pass ac-3 audio.

drhydro
I have a Coolsat 4000 pro and it doesnt pass AC-3
The audio PID is 0000 when you log in the PBS channels

drhydro
In their specs it says "Dolby SPDIF Out"

Unless it says passes AC-3, it doesn't

my KUSat says the same thing and it doesnt pass AC-3

need a Fortec (or Pansat 2700) :)

can someone with a Coolsat and a receiver that can do AC-3 verify for us?

I know it doesnt work for me but it might be my decoder

its too bad these recievers dont do ac3 as that is the one feature that is lacking for most users. Its a shame that thier website is misleading, I can only wonder how many people bought one of these thinking that they would be able to watch all the pbs channels and then were severely disappointed.

drhydro said:
its too bad these recievers dont do ac3 as that is the one feature that is lacking for most users. Its a shame that thier website is misleading, I can only wonder how many people bought one of these thinking that they would be able to watch all the pbs channels and then were severely disappointed.

to an extent...ME :)

But then again, I got the KUsat thinking the same thing

Iceberg said:
can someone with a Coolsat and a receiver that can do AC-3 verify for us?

I know it doesnt work for me but it might be my decoder
I have my coolsat hooked up to my AC3 capable reciever.

I can verify that the Coolsat is definately not passing AC3 audio.

I tested this by tuning in the PBS channels on AMC 3.

I do get audio via the SPIDF on Montana PBS.

My audio receiver is a Kenwood VR-309 (Dolby digital 5.1 / DTS)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)