Pbs ending service on amc21 in 2020?

ftajoe

Original poster
Jul 6, 2020
Pearblossom ca
Is it true that PBS will phase out their satellite feeds to amc21 this year or early 2021? Does that include other pbs feeds (lpb pbs on ses2 or Montana pbs on amc21) too? Please say no.

I believe kofi123 said previously that LPB is obligated to provide service until 2021. Not sure if their legislature makes the decisions on that, but if they do, they'll probably have to vote to continue it.

Is it true that PBS will phase out their satellite feeds to amc21 this year or early 2021? Does that include other pbs feeds (lpb pbs on ses2 or Montana pbs on amc21) too? Please say no.
I hope not. I have a fixed dish on 125W and really enjoy having an east west PBS option.

Reactions: N5XZS
Same here too, I enjoy back east PBS feeds or find different programs other than my local stations. :)

I would be very upset if they take the feeds off the Ku band satellite. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TRG
Damn the PBS channels were a big part of what tempted me to further explore FTA, gonna be tough to fill those shoes PBS is quality educational programming for all ages IMO. Unfortunately, in my location excluding C-band most of the English channels that I can receive on Ku are religion-based, which is a bummer for those not practicing what they are preaching, not the most universally entertaining content.

Sent from my SM-G981U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Damn the PBS channels were a big part of what tempted me to further explore FTA, gonna be tough to fill those shoes PBS is quality educational programming for all ages IMO. Unfortunately, in my location excluding C-band most of the English channels that I can receive on Ku are religion-based, which is a bummer for those not practicing what they are preaching, not the most universally entertaining content.

Sent from my SM-G981U using the SatelliteGuys app!
For the time being the three channel Louisiana PBS (LPB) mux is available on 87W KU. :)

I think the AMC-21 feeds are meant solely for affiliates, and maybe don't want any unwanted viewers watching them (they have to know, right?) PBS opened up a 'Request for Information' phase back in April for more information about their interconnection system, known as sIX. That same press release said they're looking to enter stage 2 of deployment of sIX "at the end of 2020." Whether or not that'll happen remains to be seen. I remember 2016 was the original end date, then it was pushed to 2018, now it's pushed to the end of this year. They also mentioned back in 2015 migrating to C-Band, which also still hasn't happened.

I think PBS wants to keep 1 transponder open for live and near-live content. All NRT (non-real time) content would move to sIX.

Reactions: DiscoLoveGrapes