Pbs Hd?

tjwgrr

Route of the Northliners
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Western Michigan
At times some very good HD programming on PBS. Currently I'm viewing it locally OTA - weak signal with occasional pixelation issues.

Is PBS HD offered anywhere by E*? I'd even be willing to "move" instead of investing more in antennas and signal amplifiers...

No

At times some very good HD programming on PBS. Currently I'm viewing it locally OTA - weak signal with occasional pixelation issues.

Is PBS HD offered anywhere by E*? I'd even be willing to "move" instead of investing more in antennas and signal amplifiers...

PBS HD is only offered to local stations to broadcast as part of their multicast. There have been no national contracts signed w/ anyone out side of PBS stations. I just left a PBS staion and we rebroadcast it direct picking it up off sat. Then send it straight to the transmitter after it goes thru the encoder. If you want a schedule for it in your area then do 1 thing go to your local PBS website and see if they list it on their site. If not check TVTitan.com for your local area schedules for all programming thru your providers.

And don't count on too good of a signal. The HD programming is likely to be multicast and you'll get pixelation. Our local PBS almost pulled it off multicasting a second channel with the HD. Now they've made sure it's unwatchable by running 3 SD & 1 HD even at night.

And don't count on too good of a signal. The HD programming is likely to be multicast and you'll get pixelation. Our local PBS almost pulled it off multicasting a second channel with the HD. Now they've made sure it's unwatchable by running 3 SD & 1 HD even at night.

Our local PBS station (WGVU) is smart enough to pull off one of their SD's (Create! network) when they're running HD so only 2 of 3 are broadcasting at any given time. They're starting HD around 6 pm and run HD until 6:00 am.

complain

Make all kinda noise about this crap. They are not to offer a bad version of the HD. the PBS agreement tells them that they have to allow enuff bandwidth to make the HD look good during primetime. A large percentage of the HD is simulcast at the same time as the SD version so locals can watch the HD. They should be shutting down some of the SD during the night. Nasty emails to the station. Calling at night usually doesn't do anything you won't get anyone most likely. Get others in the area to B' as well. Hopefully this will help you.

I dont watch PBS in HD becuase Dish not does have any GUIDe data for PBS in HD.

I get PBS HD from Two DMAs

I get Nebraskas PBS HD and Iowas PBS HD, no Guide data for either one.

I watch almost everything recorded on my DVR so with out Guide data, I just dont watch it.

How hard is it for Dish to get Guide data, it is a national feed?

I pay $5.95 a month for Local channels which includes Guide data, why cant I have guide data for PBS in HD? I am pay ing for it.

Dish / Echostar, if your listening, please fix the missing guide data issue before moving on to other projects like USB hard drives and Dish on demand or interactive, finish the product you sold us first please

Actually, I don't watch PBS anymore. Too much good stuff elsewhere, and PBS HD here is unwatchable.

Besides, if I complained, they'd just use my name and address to send more begging letters. I rarely listen to NPR and it's probably been over a year since I watched PBS. I stopped donating when they went downhill, added so many commercials and stopped classical music. The topper was when I called to complain and was derided by some snide child saying they knew their music was "too intense" for some listeners. Fine. Get the kids to pay your freight.

The geniuses should realize presenting an example of HD at it's best is more in their interest than endlessly experimenting with multicasting, trying to find a paying audience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts