PBS is not HD -- anyway to get around that?

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hi,

A few months ago our local PBS station - KWBU in Waco - didn't get the support it needed and folded (sad day...), but our local cable providers plus Dish picked-up a neighboring market PBS station - KNCT in Belton. Unfortunately there's no way to get KNCT via antenna and Dish is not carrying the channel in HD, only SD.

Anyone have suggestions on a path to try and get DishNetwork to offer this in HD? This was the biggest bummer when we got Dish re-added after moving yesterday since most of the shows our kids watch are on PBS.

I did get an OTA antenna and am able to pick-up KERA from Dallas, but it's hit or miss unfortunately. I may investigate putting-up an outside antenna (granted it's not too large -- we have an HOA), but is there anyplace Dish allows customers to pose questions or suggestions like this? Also this is the only local channel with no HD support.

Thanks -

Sam

Update on this ... I emailed KNCT asking about HD on DishNetwork and the general manager replied back with this:
Thanks for your email. Carriage of KNCT's HD signal is strictly a DishNetwork decision. There are some interesting issues. Congress has mandated that Dish carry all PBS stations in HD in any market that it currently carries any of the other networks HD signals. Dish says they cannot afford it.
Dish has offered to carry our HD Signal. We will see how quickly Dish moves. You might email Dish and urge them to put our HD signal on.
So my next step will be to contact Dish. Do they have a path for questions outside of sales or support? I know a question like this won't get much attention by calling an outsourced call center.

Thanks --

Sam

I did get an OTA antenna and am able to pick-up KERA from Dallas, but it's hit or miss unfortunately. I may investigate putting-up an outside antenna (granted it's not too large -- we have an HOA), but is there anyplace Dish allows customers to pose questions or suggestions like this? Also this is the only local channel with no HD support.

Thanks -

Sam
Please look up the FCC OTARD rules. Your HOA can not prohibit an outside antenna or satellite dish (up to 1 meter).

Not going to happen

That's good to know, especially as an amateur radio operator :)

Thanks --
Sam

If your a ham then you are screwed putting up an outdoor antenna for that. They do have a right to restrict those kind of antenna. Those are not covered in any law for use where as TV (sat or OTA) is covered by the OTARD. Sorry but if you want a ham ant. hope you have a large attic to put it in.

If your a ham then you are screwed putting up an outdoor antenna for that. They do have a right to restrict those kind of antenna. Those are not covered in any law for use where as TV (sat or OTA) is covered by the OTARD. Sorry but if you want a ham ant. hope you have a large attic to put it in.

Well darn... I'm reading it now and see where Ham antennas are excluded. At any rate we do have a large attic, which is where I planned on putting my antenna anyway, so i guess back to Plan A :)

Sam

Well darn... I'm reading it now and see where Ham antennas are excluded. At any rate we do have a large attic, which is where I planned on putting my antenna anyway, so i guess back to Plan A :)

Sam

If the antenna happens to double as a TV antenna Hint Hint........ That is away of getting around it. Just be sure to not transmitt with any tv's attached though!

Wrong again

Well the camera man is incorrect in his thinking again. No ham antenna is covered no matter if the "mast" also holds a TV ant. A ham antenna is also in most cases larger than the size that is passable. Many of them are as large as 6 ft and so that is almost 50% larger than the meter that is allowed.

Well the camera man is incorrect in his thinking again. No ham antenna is covered no matter if the "mast" also holds a TV ant. A ham antenna is also in most cases larger than the size that is passable. Many of them are as large as 6 ft and so that is almost 50% larger than the meter that is allowed.

Your an Idiot, There is no size restriction on TV antennas only satellite dish's, according to OTARD!

FCC's WEBSITE said:
The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

Yes some can be large (mainly beam antennas), but you can do alot into hiding antenna's and verticle flag pole antenna's, or even diapole antenna's, that can be used as dual purpose antenna's to recive no only the ham frequencys, but also TV frequency's as the length of the wire can cover all bands if done right. Any antenna no mater how its shaped or positioned can recive unintended frequency's, so if you call it a TV antenna and it recives TV signals, who cares what its purpose is for, it it looks like a pig, smells like a pig, it must be a pig! I swear all you do is look for a fight as there are alot more than the "beam antenna's" you think of, even then they come in diffrent sizes. There are a thousand diffrent ham antenna's out there and the majority of them are less than 30 feet, depending on the band you want to talk on. Heck if you do an inverted V all you need is 50 feet each way. On top of that there is not size restrictions on TV antenna's so the OP can install any sized antenna no matter what its purpose is, as long as it recives tv signals, its good to go! I'm not saying that he needs to go install a 40 foot beam antenna, but if he gets the right antenna's he could easly say its a tv antenna, and get away with it.

Your an Idiot, There is no size restriction on TV antennas only satellite dish's, according to OTARD!
correct Bob. Only dishes are covered under OTARD. The one rule with OTA is it cant be higher than 12 feet above the roofline in most cases and there is a technicality about using an antenna specifically for "distant" stations...

But you can put up a big old antenna and be covered :)

correct Bob. Only dishes are covered under OTARD. The one rule with OTA is it cant be higher than 12 feet above the roofline in most cases and there is a technicality about using an antenna specifically for "distant" stations...

But you can put up a big old antenna and be covered :)

yes, TV antenna's are covered too, Here is how it reads,

fcc website said:
Q: What types of antennas are covered by the rule?

A: The rule applies to the following types of antennas:

(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

I know antenna are covered Bob but there is a rule about if you go higher than 12 feet above the roofline. Also techncially you arent covered for antennas designed for "distant" reception

Q: I want a conventional "stick" antenna to receive a distant over-the air television signal. Does the rule apply to me?

A: No. The rule does not apply to television antennas used to receive a distant signal.

You prove my point

yes, TV antenna's are covered too, Here is how it reads,
Local permitting is the key component in the above statement. The guy lives in an area that will not permit one w/o the permit. So you have proved my point. I thought I was on ignore from you. I'm saddened that I'm not anymore. As far as my intelligence. Your just flaming there. You don't like to be called out is all. :eek:

Local permitting is the key component in the above statement.

no...only if he goes above 12 feet above the roofline does it become a "local permit" issue

Q: What restrictions are permitted if the antenna must be on a very tall mast to get a signal?

A: If you have an exclusive use area that is covered by the rule and need to put your antenna on a mast, the local government, community association or landlord may require you to apply for a permit for safety reasons if the mast extends more than 12 feet above the roofline. If you meet the safety requirements, the permit should be granted. Note that the Commission's rule only applies to antennas and masts installed wholly within the antenna user's exclusive use area. Masts that extend beyond the exclusive use area are outside the scope of the rule. For installations on single family homes, the "exclusive use area" generally would be anywhere on the home or lot and the mast height provision is usually most relevant in these situations. For example, if a homeowner needs to install an antenna on a mast that is more than 12 feet taller than the roof of the home, the homeowners' association or local zoning authority may require a permit to ensure the safety of such an installation, but may not prohibit the installation unless there is no way to install it safely. On the other hand, if the owner of a condominium in a building with multiple dwelling units needs to put the antenna on a mast that extends beyond the balcony boundaries, such installation would generally be outside the scope and protection of the rule, and the condominium association may impose any restrictions it wishes (including an outright prohibition) because the Commission rule does not apply in this situation.

If its below 12 feet there is no rules implemented. Being in HOA myself (and the president) I do know the rules. My antenna is 9 feet above the line and is covered by OTARD :)

OK

no...only if he goes above 12 feet above the roofline does it become a "local permit" issue

If its below 12 feet there is no rules implemented. Being in HOA myself (and the president) I do know the rules. My antenna is 9 feet above the line and is covered by OTARD :)

I will take your word for it. Sounds like you have correct information.

I will take your word for it. Sounds like you have correct information.

no problem :) Believe me. I've dealt with OTARD issues and the HOA I am part of way too many times. The other board members try to impose crazy rules with dishes and antennas and I am there with OTARD to shut it down :)

heck I just went through this with the HOA board recently...even after 4 years on the board the other members still are clueless
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/220478-me-otard-vs-neighbor-hee-hee.html

Last edited:
Whatchel1, darn dude, you screwed up here. You tried to call goaliebob out and you got burned. Being independent in this whole debate, I suggest you just step back in this thread, get your facts straight, and try again next time. TV antenna can't be any larger than 1 meter?? What were you thinking? lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts