PBS is not HD -- anyway to get around that?

Yikes, I didn't mean for my question to spawn so many sparks :) But I learned something new from it all, so as always thanks guys.

Hey it happens

Whatchel1, darn dude, you screwed up here. You tried to call goaliebob out and you got burned. Being independent in this whole debate, I suggest you just step back in this thread, get your facts straight, and try again next time. TV antenna can't be any larger than 1 meter?? What were you thinking? lol.

Hey I make mistakes like everyone else.

Yikes, I didn't mean for my question to spawn so many sparks :) But I learned something new from it all, so as always thanks guys.

no worries. Just trying to help letting you know that you can put an antenna up even if you are in a HOA (in most cases) :)

Samalex,

Suggest you look into AMC21 which has multiple HD PBS channels that you should be able to receive with a 0.9 meter dish, well within OTARD limits.

Best

Samalex,

Suggest you look into AMC21 which has multiple HD PBS channels that you should be able to receive with a 0.9 meter dish, well within OTARD limits.

Best

Wow! I read-up on AMC21 on Wikipedia and a few other sites, and it looks great! Would I need to get a second Dish to access it, and if so can it tie into the VIP722 I have now? I'd love to have access to the channels, but I'd hate to have yet another box connected to my TV. Plus it'd be nice if it was tied into the DVR.

Update: I'm reading through http://www.sathint.com, and I didn't realize there was so much out there! I take it to access most of the satellites would require a different dish and receiver? I'm VERY interested in AMC21, but what about others... can a general purpose dish be added that ties into the VIP722 to get some of these other satellites? And if so will Guide info be available?

Thanks --

Sam

Last edited:
"Yes" on the different dish (generally 1m or larger) and receiver. Please check out the FTA forum on this site which has a wealth of info.

I can think of no way to hook up a FTA receiver into your 722. However, you can buy DVR FTA receivers...

.9M

From all I've read one will need a .9M dish. It uses H/V not circular and diff freq than DBS (E* & D*). Doubt seriously that a any VIP rec would even see the bird. Some of the FTA receivers will become a DVR w/addition of HDD like a 211 does (no fee in this case). You can find out more in the FTA section here at sat guys.

Anyone have suggestions on a path to try and get DishNetwork to offer this in HD?
Please do a search for "PBS" in this forum to see the large legal battles occurring over this.

Also, the fact that you are worried about whether your children have their PBS shows in HD is disturbing... ;)

PS A Winegard preamp/amplifier may be sufficient to bring in your more distant PBS-HD signal reliably using your existing OTA antenna.

By going to tvfool.com and posting the special link to your results here, other people could give advice as to what preamp or antenna might work. And that might tell us how you could pick up KERA, but not KNCT...

Last edited:
Please do a search for "PBS" in this forum to see the large legal battles occurring over this.

Also, the fact that you are worried about whether your children have their PBS shows in HD is disturbing... ;)

PS A Winegard preamp/amplifier may be sufficient to bring in your more distant PBS-HD signal reliably using your existing OTA antenna.

By going to tvfool.com and posting the special link to your results here, other people could give advice as to what preamp or antenna might work. And that might tell us how you could pick up KERA, but not KNCT...

Honestly the kids don't care if it's HD or not, but we watch PBS for more than just Arthur, Dinosaur Train, and Sid :) I love the nightly programming, plus documentaries like Ken Burns National Parks look amazing in HD.

I have an amplified antenna though, but it's inside. I can get KERA and a few other Dallas stations early morning and late evening, but none come in during the day. I'll investigate an outside antenna though because that might be the ticket.

Thanks again for the great info... I'm learning new stuff every day! Now if I can convince my wife that more stuff under the TV and outside the house is worth it, I'll be golden :p

Sam

Update on this ... I emailed KNCT asking about HD on DishNetwork and the general manager replied back with this:
So my next step will be to contact Dish. Do they have a path for questions outside of sales or support? I know a question like this won't get much attention by calling an outsourced call center.

Thanks --

Sam

Its PBS that wont allow Dish to give you access to the national hd feed

Read in the FTA section. This may not be the time to put any money into FTA.

I sent dish an email about the local PBS station not being in HD, and they replied back yesterday with this:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I understand your concern about PBS in HD. We have submitted your request to our Programming Department who will use this information to determine which channels are in high demand. This information is used to help determine which channels we offer in the future.
I'm not sure if it'll help much, but at least they replied back with more than just a canned email.

At this point, though I'd love to get something that can get AMC21, I'm just researching outside antennas to see what I can use. I guess along these lines, if I setup an outside antenna, for example like the ones that attach to the dish, do I need a second Coax cable or can it run along the same Coax as the dish signal? I know I'd need a splitter if so, but just curious if this would work. I just don't fancy adding more holes to the wall if I can help it :)

Take care --

Sam

Last edited:
To diplex or not to diplex.

I sent dish an email about the local PBS station not being in HD, and they replied back yesterday with this:

I'm not sure if it'll help much, but at least they replied back with more than just a canned email.

At this point, though I'd love to get something that can get AMC21, I'm just researching outside antennas to see what I can use. I guess along these lines, if I setup an outside antenna, for example like the ones that attach to the dish, do I need a second Coax cable or can it run along the same Coax as the dish signal? I know I'd need a splitter if so, but just curious if this would work. I just don't fancy adding more holes to the wall if I can help it :)

Take care --

Sam

My preference is to run a 2nd line as it will give you a stronger signal. It is possible to diplex an OTA though on to the existing signal.

um why not?

You should know better than me. As an outsider to FTA looking in, I see Motorola dropping support as of the end of the year; NPS saying all C band is coming to an end (or was it the world?); others saying some support will continue, if they can just figure out how to tell their customers how to modify their equipment; claims of their being only 18,000 BUD customers remaining; tales of being forced to buy programming packages at higher fees next year, vice individual channels; etc etc. Looks like the customer base is tiny, declining and facing some sort of major negative event as of 12/31/10. And the hobby's major unifying feature seems to be hatred of NPS and Charlie Ergen.

Since I really don't have a good grasp of the hobby, I can only assume it is not as bad as it appears. But I'd sure be reluctant to advise someone to jump in right now, with what appears to be a lot of uncertainty about what will work or be available next year. Or not to warn them to look into it carefully.

Maybe I should post some questions in the FTA area to learn more, but that might just take up members time, as I am unlikely to set up a BUD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)