Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi all,
Once I get my c/ku dsr-922 working today or tomorrow, I'm going to call NPS for service. I see the absolute digital pack has all I want .....except PBSK.

NPS doesn't seem to show it in the package or a la carte.

I see that it's available in the clear on dvb....which I presume requires an FTA rcvr. And digicipher for C/Ku people. Why would they make it freely available for dvb, but encrypt it in C and Ku? Do I understand correctly that without FTA there's no way to get this station?

As always, many thanks..
jerry

Here is this programming link if you haven't seen it yet. I think there are a few others as well, maybe one of the other guys can post them and a few of the forums dedicated to the 4DTV.

http://broadband.motorola.com/4DTV/4DTVChannelUpdates_031205.htm

I think the 87 deg AMC3 - 12096 Vertical - 19510 sym digicipher feed is still there. You should be able to get that in the clear because the DSR-922 is digicipher compatible. For about $125 you can "slave" a FTA receiver on to it if you just want to. I would because I am a geek like that.

Thanks. I saw the digicipher and just assumed it was subscription-only (and was bummed because NPS doesn't offer it).

I'll definitely save the channel list.

Cool! Are you familiar with LYNGSAT at all? You can see what each service's encryption methods are and if they are "in the clear" or not. *See the color coded guide at the bottom of each page.

HERE is the link specific to the AMC3 satellite where PBS Kids is located. You can see that although its encryption method is listed as DigicipherII, the color code indicates YELLOW, or digital/clear (aka FREE).

Enjoy!

Yes, I'm quite familiar with Lyngsat...what I didn't know was that the yellow meant "in the clear". ...which shows a TON of PBS stuff. So I'm very happy. Thanks!!!

This is probably an RTFM question....but I had this problem last night with more than just PBSK...

PBSK is shown on AMC3 (W3?) on Ku 65. Well, what happens when the receiver SKIPS 65 and goes to only the pre-programmed numbers that it "knows" about?

We aren't stuck watching Motorola's favorite transponders, are we?

No. You're stuck watching the channels that the providers want you to watch.

But there is a way to do it. To find out, join the 4DTV group over at SatForums and then apply for membership in the Owners Only section. Read the message "How to Join Owners Only" for details. It's linked to from the 4dtv forum home page under "Important Messages"

I get PBS on T401 C/K 4990 and it has kid stuff, goofing, all kinds of stuff and its free
bschmitt now if I could only get system hooked up

I've been watching PBSX on T6-8 which has ppskids for most of the daytime hours. Works perfectly for us.

I'm thinking that pulling in actual affiliate stations is gonna require the whole slaved-dvb-receiver thing....and I'm going to wait on that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts