PBS-Nova tonight

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Heads up for Nova-Bombing Hitler's Dams, 8pm & repeats at 1am Central. 2hrs, a new show about WW2

Just watched it...one of the best "Damn" shows on Nova yet!
Some great engineering and problem solving. Saw some film footage of a bomber destroying itself from a dropped bomb flying too low on it's last bomb run. Amazing!

RT-I recorded it on my stand-alone dvd recorder, but haven't watched it yet. If you can't find where its being replayed, pm me and I'll send you a copy.

I just looked on the PBS-HD schedule on Titan-TV , the show airs again midnight Saturday night (tomorrow) and Sunday afternoon at 4pm central. That's the c-band feed on the PBS-national schedule.

Also scheduled to be aired on OETA (Ku) at 0500 (5am CDT) Saturday morning and again at 1400 (2 pm CDT) Saturday afternoon.

I would like to see this program myself. Sounds like a good show. I always like to see WWII documentary programs and being a NOVA program it must be a good one.

RADAR

A great segment aired on BBC WORLD NEWS Friday afternoon (early evening around 520 -525 pm central time) regarding satellites and focused on the Russian Mars mission vehicle, PHOBOS GRUNT. It was a short, but interesting segment. This now failed mission vehicle is expected to fall back to earth and burn up (mostly) as it reenters the atmosphere. It is unknown where the remains will land if any pieces make it through the atmosphere, but the Indian Ocean is one area that was listed. However, it could land in southern Britain. (Very doubtful in my opinion.) The greatest worry is to the other operational satellites in orbit. "We have debris!"

No one really knows what will occur since the spacecraft is not under guidance control. Just another one of the 15,000 or more pieces of garbage orbiting earth.

RADAR

A great segment aired on BBC WORLD NEWS Friday afternoon (early evening around 520 -525 pm central time) regarding satellites and focused on the Russian Mars mission vehicle, PHOBOS GRUNT. It was a short, but interesting segment. This now failed mission vehicle is expected to fall back to earth and burn up (mostly) as it reenters the atmosphere. It is unknown where the remains will land if any pieces make it through the atmosphere, but the Indian Ocean is one area that was listed. However, it could land in southern Britain. (Very doubtful in my opinion.) The greatest worry is to the other operational satellites in orbit. "We have debris!"

No one really knows what will occur since the spacecraft is not under guidance control. Just another one of the 15,000 or more pieces of garbage orbiting earth.

RADAR

and never a MEGAMAID around when you need one !! (spaceballs)

You'll like it Radar. English guy wants to re-create the bombing in WW2 of a German Dam, sets out to build a small dam and test-drops fake bombs out of a civlian plane, at the dam. The idea worked in 1943, the bombs skipped along the water, to the dam , sank and then detonated. This thing was filmed in Canada someplace, where they could get permission to build a small dam by a lake. At the end of the show, the typically Canadian pilot flys the plane , drops the bomb, and the cockpit-cam records his statement: " I guess we busted it, eh? " LOL

and never a MEGAMAID around when you need one !! (spaceballs)

Yeah. (LOL) Whose gonna clean up that mess up there? Evidently, some of these scientists and rocket engineers didn't have MOMS who harped on them to clean up their rooms when they were kids. Ha Ha! "Johnny, clean up this room, and get that darned Saturn III rocket out of the house!"

RADAR

You'll like it Radar. English guy wants to re-create the bombing in WW2 of a German Dam, sets out to build a small dam and test-drops fake bombs out of a civlian plane, at the dam. The idea worked in 1943, the bombs skipped along the water, to the dam , sank and then detonated. This thing was filmed in Canada someplace, where they could get permission to build a small dam by a lake. At the end of the show, the typically Canadian pilot flys the plane , drops the bomb, and the cockpit-cam records his statement: " I guess we busted it, eh? " LOL

Ha Ha! Where's your Sergeant son? "BLOWN UP, SIR!" :) I may have seen this one... But, I will record it anyway because I will watch it over again. If it is the same, it is worth watching twice. If not, it will be something new to watch.

RADAR

Watching the program now. It is not one that I have seen before.

Very interesting. Backspin? Practice your backspin! I wonder if this will be where the phrase "put a little English on it" comes from? They haven't stated that yet, but I bet they will.

RADAR

We have the same horizontal band saw at work that they showed at Cuadra, the metal shop where they made the two longer arms for the release mechanism. They don't keep their saw as well maintained as we do. They need to PM it better, it looks filthy! Ha Ha. Funny what you notice when watching a show.

RADAR

WOW! That was cool! Even if they had to simulate part of it since they couldn't carry live bombs on the airplane (for the simulation). Amazing. Simply amazing what they did during WWII. NOVA has to be the best program available, it is always good. I get very disappointed when I see the regular programming on TV, but PBS and shows like NOVA and NATURE really build my spirit and enthusiasm. FTA satellite is really worthwhile because of programs like this.

By the way, it recorded really swell on my external USB HDD using the AZBox. The recording looks very clean and bright, no troubles that I can see so far.

RADAR

Last edited:

Turbosat,

That was definitely worth watching and you were correct, I liked it! I got up just before 5 am to watch it and record it. Glad that I did! The location was near Mackenzie, B.C. where they built the test dam. Built the dam in 25 days +/-. I did see a few problems with Hugh's bomb design right off the bat and they incorporated those ideas along the way as they discovered them. Dang, I could have told them that, but they didn't ask me. LOL

It was really tragic to see the planes that crashed during tests back in 42/43. The price they had to pay for discovery back then was great.

RADAR

For anybody still looking to catch this show, the PBS schedules must've changed because its listed at 8pm on my locals here in N Ala. So check your local pbs schedule too if you want to watch this one..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)