PBS on AMC 21

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
Last night I was getting a very low signal, 32% on 12140. It locks, but that's all. 12180 is coming strong. Anyone else having this problem?

Signal up tp 48% this morning, everything looks normal.

Last edited:
Last night I was getting a very low signal, 32% on 12140. It locks, but that's all. 12180 is coming strong. Anyone else having this problem?

Signal up tp 48% this morning, everything looks normal.

As I posted in another thread, I haven' t had ANY problems with 12140, almost since the transponder started up, then suddenly, for the past couple weeks, on several occasions, the transponder has been fine in the daytime, then when I'm trying to record something at night, the transponder just deteriorates into nothing. Something wierd is going on. I don't think it's the neighboring transponder with the same SR, because that's always on, so no reason it would be good in the day, and bad at night, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't weather at the uplink, which I think is northern Virginia, south of DC. So I don't know what the issue might be. But yes, I didn't observe this last night, but have observed it several times in the last 2 weeks.

... Anyone else having this problem?

YES, routinely.

12140 Flakey. 12180 No change.

possible issue last night.....or the infamous TP next door causing it issues

I posted something a week or so when we had a discussion on the 12140 TP and the possible issues
http://www.satelliteguys.us/2006367-post13.html

You mean the analog TP on 123? Looks like that's been there a while. What was PBS thinking? Guess they all have dishes suited for that situation or something...

To test this, one could look for something on 12140 on 123 when this anomaly is happening...

EDIT: Oh my, there is a 12140 Hughesnet TP on 127 also...

Last edited:
We were getting MT PBS well last, but the Q on our CS 4000 was only in the 66-67 range where as it's usually in the 90+ range even with heavy rain.

Also, WSEE (CBS), on the same sat, completely disappeared for us on Sunday. The CS4000 did see it again yesterday, but only at 63 Q, which is less than a "lock" on our CS.

After having exactly the same problem with 12140 MHz, I drove my dish a little off (I can't remember whether it was east or west) of the peak for AMC-21. After doing this, 12140 MHz comes in fine. Unfortunately, I now have to have two positions for AMC-21. I had to set up two positions on AMC-1 a while ago to see Safeway Channel.

The Safeway Channel was an in-store service meant mostly for breakrooms in the supermarkets. It had safety and cost-saving information geared toward employees of Safeway. The channel disappeared from AMC-1 a while ago. I don't believe it returned on satellite.

The Safeway Channel was an in-store service meant mostly for breakrooms in the supermarkets. It had safety and cost-saving information geared toward employees of Safeway. The channel disappeared from AMC-1 a while ago. I don't believe it returned on satellite.

It has since changed to a IP broadcast

Hasnt been on satellite for a while now

That Safeway channel used to be on Ku analog back in the early to mid 90s. They were sending out their signal as reversed video, which anyone could receive via selecting that on their receiver, or switching coaxes to C-band, or flipping a switch, depending on the hardware. At the time, my son worked for Safeway, and at the time, they were sending out their plans for upcoming sales items, showing the ads to be placed in the newspapers, etc. I told my son that it seemed strange that they'd put that out on a signal that their competitors could see, and make plans for their own sales, etc. My son asked their satellite guy, and he said that the signal was encrypted, and couldn't be received by anyone except Safeway stores. Right. It was the same thing with Merrill Lynch a few years later. Ie they had a DCII feed over which they had experts give investment strategy talks to their various offices. Usually, whenever I'd listen to these, a couple days later, my broker would call saying that he had an idea about a good stock, etc. It always amazed me that big corporations like this could be so dumb about the security of their sat signals. Merrill Lynch at least eventually encrypted, but Safeway seems to have jumped from one insecure mode to another. I'll bet that they are still up there and still FTA in some mode. Probably someone convinced them that if they switched to MPEG4 or something that nobody could tune in to their broadcasts. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)