pbs sound problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.
even the HD sat receiver will more likely not have the onboard AC3 or DD 5.1 decoder so the use of the SPDIF connector on the receiver you posted is the best way to go.

The Pansat 9200HD receiver will automatically decode AC3 audio signals, just like they were "normal". It costs a bit more, but is automatic and will also give you the PBS national HD channels in all of their glory (HD video and Dolby digital sound).

Otherwise, many quality receivers such as other recent Pansat units after model 2500, the Traxis DBS-3500, and others will pass through AC-3 audio component through an SPDIF jack or an optical connection. If you have a stereo receiver with Dolby digital processor section, it will decode this audio.

The answer in a nutshell is to spend money---either on a full featured HD receiver such as the Pansat 9200HD, or use a basic MPEG-2 receiver that passes AC3 audio, with a compliant stereo receiver.

Lak7, I am only familiar with the SonicView 8000HD because a friend has one, and I beleive it does not have on board AC3 decoding only bitstreaming via SPDIF. I could be wrong though. But you are right I should have not generalized to any HD Sat receiver. Sorry for the mistake.

All of my HD receivers have AC-3 built in
Coolsat 8000
Pansat 9200
Quali-TV

I know the Sonicview 8000 & DIamond 9000 do too

I think the key may be that it isn't so much the HD but ATSC. Ie I may be wrong, but I think that the HD receivers that do AC3 are all the ones that also have a built in ATSC capability. Since the OTA ATSC channels all require AC3 decoding, those receivers have it built in, however an HD receiver that doesn't have ATSC doesn't necessarily have AC3 built in.

what does S/PDIF for Digital Audio / Dolby AC-3 Bitstream Output mean?

Hi guys!

Newbie here. I did a scan on Galaxy 12 @125 W to get PBS and Create TV, V-me etc. I got PBS ok with audio but Create TV and V-me has no audio even though the quality is 95%. Did some reading on here and there was talk about AC3 audio and receivers that decode it. I looked up the specs of my SonicVeiw Elite and it says "S/PDIF for Digital Audio / Dolby AC-3 Bitstream Output" but I dont have much clue as to what that means. I know there is a S/PDIF output at the back of the receiver for digital audio output for external stereo system, so does that mean I have to go buy a S/PDIF cable and connect it to an external system?

Also, I just checked my PC and my sound card has an Optical OUT and an Optical IN slot. Could I therefore get the audio thru my pc?

Last edited:
even more on AC3:

Recent PBS Audio Thread about AC3 audio

LINK
The above link is a very comprehensive answer to the question.

Below is what I had bookmarked. Some material is from two years ago.
So, this PBS/AC3 thing is nothing new.

Sonic Voom for decoding AC3:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/156406-besides-g18.html#post1607936
Cyberhome CH-SRD 600R for decoding AC3:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/163105-ac3-audio.html#post1684029
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/163105-ac3-audio.html#post1684137

yes:

I know there is a S/PDIF output at the back of the receiver for digital audio output for external stereo system, so does that mean I have to go buy a S/PDIF cable and connect it to an external system?
Yes, you need an external Dolby decoder.
This thread discusses the matter fully.

I think the key may be that it isn't so much the HD but ATSC. Ie I may be wrong, but I think that the HD receivers that do AC3 are all the ones that also have a built in ATSC capability. Since the OTA ATSC channels all require AC3 decoding, those receivers have it built in, however an HD receiver that doesn't have ATSC doesn't necessarily have AC3 built in.

The Quali-TV doesn't have a OTA tuner in it ;)

Sticky?

I think this whole AC3 audio/SPDIF/Sonic Voom/Dolby thing should be a sticky! It's only been gone over a couple-hundred times since I've been here! :eek: :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts