PC card question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kalrida

Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Abilene, TX
Hi everybody! I just joined the forum and am excited to be here. Does anybody have a DVB-S 100 card for their PC? I just got one and can really use some help setting it up. Much appreciated!

Mark

Welcome :) Check out our DVB forum in the mpeg 2 FTA section :) There are lots of people who will be more than willing to help you out there. And remember that this is a LEGAL forum so hack talk is not allowed :)

Sorry Goaliebob99. I'm definitely a newbie! I didn't even know what FTA stood for let alone hack talk.:) Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to both you and Iceberg.

I don't have that card, but do have both a Twinhan 1020a and a Nexus-s in a PC setup for timer recordings. I then put the mpeg files on a disc and watch them in either another computer or a DVD player that plays mpeg files. I use MyTheatre, but many others also use ProgDVB. Both are great programs. The newest versions of MyTheatre has some issues with the K-world card, but should be fixed in newer versions. Satellite on a PC is great for automated recordings with no loss in quality, and now there are so many DVD players that will play mpeg files. The files recorded are fairly small, and with programs like VideoReDo, editing is simple. PC's are also getting popular for home theatres, being able to output their video to projectors, LCD's, or about any form of display. My setup is simply for unattended recordings, using task manager to wakeup the PC from hibernate, record and then go back into hibernate. Many others here are much more advanced than I, but we all started off at one time with little or no knowledge.

That's some great info, thanks Larry1. Do I have to use the software that came with the K-World card or can I use one of the ones you mentioned? The software that came with the card has very little documentation with it. The problem I'm experiencing is that i can't input satellite info in it. I mean, the correct info in it. For example, only satellites that are linear (horiz or vert pol) can be put in. If it's circularly polarized the software doesn't give you an option for left or right polarization. I put the degrees of one satellite in and got only 59 for signal strength; which led to nothing. Also, not knowing what DiSEqC does or what type of LNB I have is definitely limiting my ability to figure this out

Most DVB software will work with your card. You do however need to load your device driver for your particular card. The device driver is the link between the DVB software and the card and is different for each card. Your LNBF, the part that picks up the satellite signal from the dish, will be either LINEAR polarity or CIRCULAR polarity. There is one that is both, but it has separate outputs for linear and circular. In general, a LINEAR LNBF is for free to air signals, and CIRCULAR LNBF is for Directv, Dishnestwork, and Bell ExpressVu. Switching polarity with a circular LNBF is the same as with a linear LNBF. If you set your program settings with a circular LNBF to vertical the LNBF will act as Right Hand polarity. If you set your program settings to horizontal the LNBF will act as Left Hand ploarity. This is how you select the polarity. It does not mean that you can receive circular polarity with a linear LNBF. Diseq settings is for a switch to connect multiple dished to a receiver or to a motor to turn your dish to various satellites. Read some of the setup guides and also have a look at the SADOUN site as it has some good guides as well. (link at top of the page, one of the sites sponsers)

Kalrida said:
Hi everybody! I just joined the forum and am excited to be here. Does anybody have a DVB-S 100 card for their PC? I just got one and can really use some help setting it up. Much appreciated!
Mark

Try the software on the TwinHan website it may work on your card. I have a DST-1000 and it works.

AM having flakey results with progdvb.

If you are talking about the KWorld DVB-S 100, then I suggest you use ProgDVB because it is possibly one of the only few applications that really work well with this card.

You also must meet the minimum system requirements for this card. The KWorld DVB-S 100 does not have any onboard MPEG2 decoder and therefore does everything via software. Because of this, there is always quite a bit of strain on system resources when watching FTA on your computer.

I have this card but I have not tried it in Windows because I can't afford to buy a second copy of XP. So I am using it in Linux (although I am still trying to get a lock on a sat, and therefore don't know how well DVB-S on this card works, Composite In and S-Video In work great). Although I haven't used the card in Windows, ProgDVB seems to be your best bet as the MyTheatre forums say that the newer versions of the MyTheatre application do not work with this card.

Also if you are computer saavy, you might want to check out the Windows build of MPlayer. It supports DVB; however, I don't know how well it would work with this card in Windows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts