PC Owners Thread

With the Steam Sale going on, this comic is a little TOO real..

upload_2017-6-28_8-16-28.jpeg

With the recent 5 Star Top 1000 Platinum Trophy controversy fresh on our minds, Kotaku has recently published a report on another gross trend known as Achievement Spam on Steam.

http://steamed.kotaku.com/achievement-spam-games-are-causing-controversy-on-steam-1796528445

I do see now that apparently getting achievements makes your profile look cooler, but I honestly can't remember the last time I looked at a random profile and thought, "Wow, I wish I had all those badges!"

Here's a new go-to video for us PC Gamers when console fanboys ask "Why would you want to game on a PC?"

In a move that doesn't reek of desperation in the slightest, Lawbreakers is having a free weekend this week and also is on sale.

In a move that doesn't reek of desperation in the slightest, Lawbreakers is having a free weekend this week and also is on sale.

These days free weekends are a very common marketing strategy, especially for multiplayer focused games. Look how many free weekends Overwatch has had since release. For Honor also had one recently and they have been in the top 10 on the NPD charts all year. Rocket League, COD, The Division, and Rainbow Six Siege have all done it too and all of those games were very successful.

I would agree that Lawbreakers is probably pretty desperate to boost their numbers though. Everything I have read has said the game is not selling well. A free weekend makes sense because most people seem to like the game when they try it. The reviews are positive overall and most of the negative reviews I read were about matchmaking being slow and unbalanced because the player base was so small.

After playing in a couple betas I can say that I'm not interested enough in this game to bother downloading it for the free weekend. I can see what people like about it but it just doesn't do much for me. That being said, I hope they get a nice player boost from this free weekend. The games industry is better off when Cliff Bleszinski is in it and I'd hate to see him retire again.

I know that free weekends are common, but to see a company do it within 60 days of release is a little troubling. Still, at this point the game definitely needs a shot in the arm. I'd like to see this succeed as well, but it definitely is fighting an uphill battle and making up for previous stumbles, such Cliff's somewhat dickish attitude at times (definitely did no favors bashing Xbox One owners) and launching without a familiar mode that people could default to like Deathmatch.

Terry Crews, AKA The Old Spice Guy, AKA PC Master Race member, recently explained why he got into PC gaming. It's actually a rather touching story.

If the timestamp doesn't work you can fast forward to 3:53 for the start of it

Valve is reflecting on the 10 year anniversary of The Orange Box, which will probably go down as the greatest single package of games ever released. For those who forgot, for $60 you could get Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episodes 1 & 2, Team Fortress 2, and Portal in 1 package.

Valve reflects on The Orange Box, ten years later | PC Gamer

This was a great bundle. I originally got it on 360 since this was long before I was playing games on PC. Portal is by far my favorite game in the package but it's also where I played Half Life 2 for the first time and I played tons of TF2.

Unfortunately we may never see more games like these ones from Valve. They make so much money from Steam and DOTA 2 that sales numbers from a game like Portal 3 wouldn't even make a blip on their financial statements. On a side note, all I want to do right now is go home and play Portal 2 again or maybe some Left 4 Dead 2 to get into the Halloween mindset.

This was a great bundle. I originally got it on 360 since this was long before I was playing games on PC. Portal is by far my favorite game in the package but it's also where I played Half Life 2 for the first time and I played tons of TF2.

Unfortunately we may never see more games like these ones from Valve. They make so much money from Steam and DOTA 2 that sales numbers from a game like Portal 3 wouldn't even make a blip on their financial statements. On a side note, all I want to do right now is go home and play Portal 2 again or maybe some Left 4 Dead 2 to get into the Halloween mindset.
I ended up getting all the pieces separately except for HL2E2. I was on top of HL2 and E1 when they came out and for whatever reason I had no interest in Portal or TF2 at the time. In retrospect, would have been smarter to just get that one package.

I don't think we're done seeing games from Valve. Yes, they make money hand over fist with Steam, DOTA 2, TF2, etc, but I think if nothing else they may just get bored with patching the same games and collecting checks. I know that sounds really silly, but I think the main issue at this point is that they're so independently wealthy that they can do whatever they want and aren't really bound by producing tangible results. I'm sure there's a bunch of projects in the pipeline or being worked on, but when you don't announce anything or have publisher pressure and have a virtually unlimited supply of funds, putzing around can be quite prevalent.

I ended up getting all the pieces separately except for HL2E2. I was on top of HL2 and E1 when they came out and for whatever reason I had no interest in Portal or TF2 at the time. In retrospect, would have been smarter to just get that one package.

I don't think we're done seeing games from Valve. Yes, they make money hand over fist with Steam, DOTA 2, TF2, etc, but I think if nothing else they may just get bored with patching the same games and collecting checks. I know that sounds really silly, but I think the main issue at this point is that they're so independently wealthy that they can do whatever they want and aren't really bound by producing tangible results. I'm sure there's a bunch of projects in the pipeline or being worked on, but when you don't announce anything or have publisher pressure and have a virtually unlimited supply of funds, putzing around can be quite prevalent.

I really hope that's the case. It's just been so long since they put anything out that it's starting to feel like they gave up that part of the business. Hopefully that means they have been working on lots of experimental stuff and putting tons of polish on it since they have no pressure to keep a tight production schedule.

My current laptop is 8 years old now and I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade. Last time I just bought what I though was a good one on Amazon on Cyber Monday. It's gotten the job done but was never all that great for gaming. This time I would like something that can handle some games but doesn't need to be a real powerhouse. It would be nice to stick around $700 if possible. Any suggestions?

I still say that a desktop is the way to go for gaming, but if you insist on a laptop this Dell seems to be a pretty good bang for your buck.

Inspiron 15-Inch 7567 Gaming Laptop: Intel i7 Quad Core | Dell United States

I built a desk top a few years ago and I never use it. It works well but I just don't have it set up anywhere where I actually want to sit down and play it for a while. The laptop is more convenient for me. Not just that but I would just like a newer laptop and figured if I'm going to get one I want it to be able to play some games.

I'm just getting some ideas now in preparation for Black Friday sales.

I built a desk top a few years ago and I never use it. It works well but I just don't have it set up anywhere where I actually want to sit down and play it for a while. The laptop is more convenient for me. Not just that but I would just like a newer laptop and figured if I'm going to get one I want it to be able to play some games.

I'm just getting some ideas now in preparation for Black Friday sales.

If you mean for playing around your house, maybe you should look into a Steam Link so you can play your games on various TVs? I know king3pj is a fan of his.

If you mean for playing around your house, maybe you should look into a Steam Link so you can play your games on various TVs? I know king3pj is a fan of his.

I'm thinking of something that I would use while sitting in my recliner while watching TV or while sitting at the kitchen counter. If I'm going to play any games on a TV I'll go to the basement and play my PS4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)