PC Sat tuners for HTPC setups, when?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PC tuners to compete with Cablecard?

• Yes, they'll develop this to compete with cable.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, too worried someone will hack service.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No, they don't even pay attention to the competitions technology

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • What?

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

DishSatUser

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
Both Direct TV and Dish need to get on the ball. Customers need the ability to buy tuner cards for the respective services so that HD and SD programming can be played directly from the computer. This is important in the growing HTPC market.

Recently at the CES, ATI and some other companies have demonstrated their products for the CableCard techology. This allows those with an HDTV tunner, the Cable Card reader and software to watch premium and PPV content directly from their HTPC. Allows new DVR approaches and designs for customers as well.

See http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2662 for the article on ATI's OCUR in operation with Windows VISTA.

Do you think this will happen eventually?

The only real self-preserving answer is WHEN.
One year ago I was merely a reader and bystander to wireless networking. Recently I purchased I laptop and set up a wireless work because I was tired of being tethered to one room where my desktop is. Now I can carry my PC anywhere in my home, go outside, play music or video stored on a 2nd HD in the desktop, all wirelessly. I absolutely love the convenience.
Which makes me think, well, really what needs to happen now is the ability to access that directivo from that laptop so I can access the menu and stored video on The TIVO's drive.
Until I read more, and find out that the USB PORT on the back has been DISABLED. I understand this is also the case with the E* equipment as well. I am already paying for this content and how I shoot it around my own home should be MY choice.
There are hacks that will get this to work, but I shouldnt have to.
My lappy has one of the new expresscard slots and I have read some things about expresscards being designed to accomodate hd cable tuners and the like. But I have yet to see ANY PC related support whatsoever for satellite tv (meaning internal or external pc based digital satellite tuners.)
So you are indeed correct, the satellite providers need to get with the program. Customers are paying big dollars for premium programming, picture and sound. We want to watch it WHERE and WHEN we want to. The PC is being welcomed into the home as a splendid tool to make our lives more enjoyable and convenient. If they DONT get with the program, someone else will do it for them.
In my humble opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)