Peacock becomes home of first-ever exclusive live streamed NFL playoff game

Do what? At least in my state, the PBS app directs me to go get a "passport" where I must "donate" (pay) at least $8/month. This is in addition to the tax money I already pay involuntarily for this "service".
Thats if you want the full luxury on demand experience..the live stream is free

Reactions: Bobby
Do what? At least in my state, the PBS app directs me to go get a "passport" where I must "donate" (pay) at least $8/month. This is in addition to the tax money I already pay involuntarily for this "service".
In Michigan and Florida, do not have to do that, they both just ask me to confirm what the primary PBS was in my area

Do you need a cable provider log in?
No, not for PBS, when I was using the TV Everywhere apps for other channels, I had to have one, but that was a few years ago

Radio Shack was Great back in the day ...
Yes it was, needed some trigger cables for my mono block amplifiers, had to wait 2 days from Amazon, if Radio Shack was still in business I would of just went there, project could of been done same day then.
Anyone remember "Lifetime Electronics" ?
They were better than RS, but were downtown, so didn't get there as much.
We use to make supply runs there once a week when I was in HS.
Not in Michigan I do not believe.

I went to Fry’s for the first time in Indy many years ago while visiting my wife’s parents, I was in heaven, it was like Radio Shack mixed with Best Buy/Circuit City, I kept hoping they would open up in Michigan, but now a moot point.

Many (though not all) local PBS stations make their live stream available for free in the PBS app, no Passport subscription needed. And all new national PBS content airing within the past 14 days is also available for free on-demand in the PBS app. For many series, you can also access some or all earlier episodes on demand for free too. The Passport subscription unlocks lots more content that's older than 14 days. IDK, maybe the cost of Passport varies based on the local PBS station? Around here, it's $5/mo.

The NFL has been almost 100% FREE on ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX for my whole lifetime. I always have, and continue to watch the NFL on my Over The Air antenna. ESPN got the Monday Night Football exclusive back in 2005. Before that, games were ALL on major broadcast networks. I dont know exactly then the streaming started. But we are slowly starting to lose our FREE NFL Games, and its not cool. This year MOST games are broadcast over the air, but you need ESPN for MNF, Amazon Prime for TNF, there will be a few games only on NFL Network, and now you need Peacock too. That said, i still think the NFL has got it right. Most games are free over the air. Unlike MLB, NBA, NHL, which are 99% pay TV.

Yes it was, needed some trigger cables for my mono block amplifiers, had to wait 2 days from Amazon, if Radio Shack was still in business I would of just went there, project could of been done same day then.

Not in Michigan I do not believe.

I went to Fry’s for the first time in Indy many years ago while visiting my wife’s parents, I was in heaven, it was like Radio Shack mixed with Best Buy/Circuit City, I kept hoping they would open up in Michigan, but now a moot point.
Lifetime Electronics was in Downtown Toledo.

The NFL has been almost 100% FREE on ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX for my whole lifetime. I always have, and continue to watch the NFL on my Over The Air antenna. ESPN got the Monday Night Football exclusive back in 2005. Before that, games were ALL on major broadcast networks. I dont know exactly then the streaming started. But we are slowly starting to lose our FREE NFL Games, and its not cool. This year MOST games are broadcast over the air, but you need ESPN for MNF, Amazon Prime for TNF, there will be a few games only on NFL Network, and now you need Peacock too. That said, i still think the NFL has got it right. Most games are free over the air. Unlike MLB, NBA, NHL, which are 99% pay TV.
The NFL will sell its rights to the highest bidder. Right now it’s CBS NBC Fox over the air. There is no law saying games have to be free to watch.

The NFL will sell its rights to the highest bidder. Right now it’s CBS NBC Fox over the air. There is no law saying games have to be free to watch.
but the NFL has more less forced the rule that you will get all games for your local team for free on an OTA channel. (main markets only)

what about places with Regulatory rules?
say the CRTC comes with an rule banning steaming exclusives on major sporting events?
the fcc adds network neutrality rules that get the way of stuff?
say disney trys to force comcast to have hulu basic be part of the base internet plan and is blocking all access to ESPN steaming even for people paying till it happens?
Yes that did kind of happen in the past with ESPN3 / 360 in where cable internet subs that dish / directv where blocked from it.
and for some time RCN internet only subs where blocked from it as well.

Will there be fee fights with streaming and ISP's?

Will the lack of NFL pissoff some in congress?

Will the NFL / you tube get sued over the lack of the single team choice?

Will the lawsuit over the NFL ST being exclusive goany where?

what about places with Regulatory rules?
say the CRTC comes with an rule banning steaming exclusives on major sporting events?
the fcc adds network neutrality rules that get the way of stuff?
say disney trys to force comcast to have hulu basic be part of the base internet plan and is blocking all access to ESPN steaming even for people paying till it happens?
Yes that did kind of happen in the past with ESPN3 / 360 in where cable internet subs that dish / directv where blocked from it.
and for some time RCN internet only subs where blocked from it as well.

Will there be fee fights with streaming and ISP's?

Will the lack of NFL pissoff some in congress?

Will the NFL / you tube get sued over the lack of the single team choice?

Will the lawsuit over the NFL ST being exclusive goany where?

Most of these are either FUD or not really rooted in reality. The broad answer I'd give is deal with the facts when they actually present themselves and go from there, otherwise there are too many moving parts or blanks to fill in to really address most of these.

We've already had people clamoring about prices in subsequent seasons as if that's a problem to deal with now - we can only deal with the value propositions in front of us and spend our money accordingly, and speak with our wallets when it does not provide what we want.

That's the kind of flexibility I want with my viewing and subscription decisions, nothing in a 'consumer protected bundle' provides me that :oldlaugh

Reactions: osu1991
I was able to watch the Michigan vs Eastern Carolina game on Peacock this past Saturday. I have to say the stream was pretty great actually. No announcer audio for about 5 minutes in the first half, but otherwise worked well.